83 300d wont shut off with key

bd blk 12v

Fixen broken bulldogs
Hey all i just bought an 83 300d. I picked the car up for my parents they have been looking for one and i found a good deal on one. The car does need some help. It starts right up like you just wouldnt believe but when you shut the key off it keeps running. You have to open the hood and use the stop lever to kill it. What controls how it shuts off? Is there a fuel shut off solinoid? The linkage from the firewall is broken and someone has put some vicegrips on it to make it work. The car also has an issue with shifting automatically. It wants to shift to second very fast and when it gets into second then seems to go into like a lock up coverter mode then into drive. If you shift it manually it does better. Second does seem to shift two times then when in drive it shifts fine and runs down the road fine. Thanks for your time.

The fuel shutoff on these cars is vacuum actuated, look on the back if the IP and you should see a diaphragm unit there. The vacuum is routed through the key switch so start running hoses down.

Shifting is controlled in part by a dohickey on the top of the IP, has two vac lines and four screws in the cap, pull it apart and clean it, no oil I THINK!

Go to http://www.schumanautomotive.com/forums/ to get the skinny on these cars. Lots of very knowledgeable folks on there. Read the FAQ's first, all of this is covered.

Mine used to shift like that too.
On top of the Valve cover. In the same area where all the vac lines come together. There is a hex kind of head with a screw attatched to it. Its plastic. Back that out a couple turns and test drive it. That should fix it right up.

I got rid of the shifting problem in the one I own once and for all. I swapped in a manual tranny and it took care of it.;) Now it goes like a bat out of you know where.
Hello BG and 7.3! You guys know me from Schuman's as "Lietuviai".

Back