PDA

View Full Version : The best Intercooler??

Toolman
01-15-2007, 08:51 PM
I am looking to replace the stock intercooler on my 3rd gen. everybody I talk to tells me theirs is the best. What kind of results have you guys that have replaced yours had and what is the best?

Timbeaux
01-15-2007, 09:07 PM
You need to look at and ask about pressure drop over the unit. The lower the pressure drop, the more air you move at less boost.

wildmanben
01-15-2007, 10:13 PM
spearco is suppose to be the best, but pricey...

Powerstroke Racer
01-15-2007, 11:04 PM
The most proven to perform has been the DI unit!!

bbunting
01-16-2007, 07:08 AM
spearco is suppose to be the best, but pricey...

Yes-proven quality. You get what you pay for.

WAYNES WORLD
01-16-2007, 09:14 AM
Lets see guys,
The web site $$$$
DI $2700
Spearco $1200

What ???:stab:

That is right off the last two replys-----

Haisley $950

You ask the questions about performance & $$$$$$.02

WAYNES WORLD

Bobcat698
01-16-2007, 09:14 AM
We carry the Spearco units and they work very well!

I have one on my truck and was very impressed with the performance, both in quicker turbo spoolup and lower egts.

Check it out here (http://www.puredieselpower.com/catalog/0306-59l-dodge-cummins-replacement-spearco-intercooler-upgrade-p-559.html).

Timbeaux
01-16-2007, 10:09 AM
I'm not going to have this turn into another Intercooler thread where non-paying vendors advertise products for free.... Keep within site rules guys. :thankyou2:

Mike L.
01-16-2007, 10:33 AM
I just got done doing a trans on a '96 Dodge Ctd owned by an employee of Turbonetics that has one of their intercoolers on it. I am impressed with the size and workmanship. It is huge. There is a new one in the works for the Duramax also.

RacinDuallie
01-16-2007, 10:39 AM
I just got done doing a trans on a '96 Dodge Ctd owned by an employee of Turbonetics that has one of their intercoolers on it. I am impressed with the size and workmanship. It is huge. There is a new one in the works for the Duramax also.Pics?

BIGRPOWR
01-16-2007, 12:28 PM
I just got done doing a trans on a '96 Dodge Ctd owned by an employee of Turbonetics that has one of their intercoolers on it. I am impressed with the size and workmanship. It is huge. There is a new one in the works for the Duramax also.

you must be talking about char's truck. she's real happy with the trans.

to the poster you cant go wrong with the spearco unit.

Powerstroke Racer
01-16-2007, 01:19 PM
Lets see guys,
The web site $$$$
DI $2700
Spearco $1200

What ???:stab:

That is right off the last two replys-----

Haisley $950

You ask the questions about performance & $$$$$$.02

WAYNES WORLD
Your mistaken on the pricing,ours is about a 1/3 of that.

WAYNES WORLD
01-17-2007, 12:27 PM
Your mistaken on the pricing,ours is about a 1/3 of that.

Powerstroke Racer,
I stand corrected:kick:

I miss read the quote on the " package " .
I thought it was the price of just the cooler. MY MISTAKE----- SORRY.*bdh*

So how much is the cooler & will I lose any boost after install ?

Thank You,
WAYNES WORLD

joefarmer
01-17-2007, 12:45 PM
I put a Bank$ on a 2004.5 truck and it seems to have helped him out. The combo of cam & IC gained him 2 solid mpg on his trip home. I liked that it opened the intake tract up from 3 to 3.5" tubing. We did have to grind the Bank$ name off the high ram and powdercoat the intake black... I think that's where the extra hp came from... :)

brnadon.

Powerstroke Racer
01-17-2007, 01:44 PM
Powerstroke Racer,
I stand corrected:kick:

I miss read the quote on the " package " .
I thought it was the price of just the cooler. MY MISTAKE----- SORRY.*bdh*

So how much is the cooler & will I lose any boost after install ?

Thank You,
WAYNES WORLD
Hey no problem,we can't post prices but they are 1650.00 less than the 2700.00 you posted above shipped. Do the math;)
The highest pressure we have real world data on is Joe's twin turbo 12v 96.4 in 95 psi out.The truck ran 10.60's@132 on #2 only.

bbunting
01-17-2007, 02:06 PM
Not sure if size matters, but here is the Spearco 2003-2006 Dodge cooler.

WAYNES WORLD
01-18-2007, 09:47 AM
Not sure if size matters, but here is the Spearco 2003-2006 Dodge cooler.

bbunting,

We all know size mattersin life---:hehe:
But does this extra large size fit the second gen & does it lose boost #'s due to bigger area ? :(

WAYNES WORLD

cstayton
02-15-2007, 11:08 AM
bbunting,

We all know size mattersin life---:hehe:
But does this extra large size fit the second gen & does it lose boost #'s due to bigger area ? :(

WAYNES WORLD

the bigger intercooler for the third gen will not fit in the second gen also SPEARCO ic have very low pressure drop compaired to other ic out on the market.
The pressure drop is .25-.5 psi. Also they are rated for much higher boost pressure.

KingS
02-15-2007, 02:16 PM
ok guy I have read though this and haven't read one post that would help toolman in his decision here on what unit to buy. Such as pressure drop air volume moved ect.

why would you want to advertise no psi drop on most units the psi drops of do to the fact that the air flow better so less restriction hench low boost psi if your psi stays the same where is the flow gain to me it sounds like there is still a bottle up effect in the system then correct me if wrong.

also I was hoping to get some information on the different units performance in this thread not a price comparision sorry if I come across wrong but I get alittle tired of reading thread that don't help inform a posters decistion on what he asks.

Powerstroke Racer
02-15-2007, 02:59 PM
ok guy I have read though this and haven't read one post that would help toolman in his decision here on what unit to buy. Such as pressure drop air volume moved ect.

why would you want to advertise no psi drop on most units the psi drops of do to the fact that the air flow better so less restriction hench low boost psi if your psi stays the same where is the flow gain to me it sounds like there is still a bottle up effect in the system then correct me if wrong.

also I was hoping to get some information on the different units performance in this thread not a price comparision sorry if I come across wrong but I get alittle tired of reading thread that don't help inform a posters decistion on what he asks.
This was posted earlier.
The highest pressure we have real world data on is Joe's twin turbo 12v 96.4 in 95 psi out.The truck ran 10.60's@132 on #2 only.

jamesl
02-15-2007, 03:46 PM
to my limited knowledge an intercooler isnt a "straight" through piece of pipe, there is always going to be some kind of restriction. The better the design the less restriction, yes some companies may have a larger intercooler but does this normally mean that there is less restriction? i would think it depends on what you are comparing it too. If you a comparing it to another aftermarket unit then i think the differences in pressure drop and air temp become kind of null, here is where quality of workmanship and cost come into play. Any aftermarket cooler that has a greater surface area and less restriction than that of the stocker should benefit you. Just pick one and do a write up on your findings, ...thats my $.02

maddog_madden
02-19-2007, 12:08 AM
I like my bd intercooler, they claim it flows 1500 cfm with less then 1psi of pressure drop. Id say thats pretty good. Hope this helps.

WAYNES WORLD
02-20-2007, 09:13 AM
maddog_madden,
You said you have a BD unit. How much did it cost?
Did you use the boot kit ?
How about boost lose?
Thanks,
WAYNES WORLD

Robertp
02-20-2007, 05:34 PM
im suprised no one mentioned hellmann intercoolers. very nice fit and finish work very well and not to pricey.

Turbonetics TQ
02-25-2007, 03:44 PM
I did some testing on the Spearco intercooler for the CRD dodge.
Charge air(out of turbo) 463 deg. F
Into the engine(out of the intercooler)103 deg. F
Ambient temp was 84 deg. F
Highest pressure drop measured .28 psi @ 45psi Boost
With the A/C on the the Temp into the motor went up 14 deg. F
As well as the spearco unit held those temps for about an 8 mi. hill GVW 15800lbs So heat soak is no longer a problem like it is with the stock unit.

WAYNES WORLD
02-26-2007, 10:57 AM
Turbonetics TQ,
This is what I'm talking about:Cheer:

Why can't we get more detailed info like this so we can better judge our potential purchases ???:snoop:

Thank Youy,
WAYNES WORLD