PDA

View Full Version : Anybody with the Edge w/ tranny problems?

Gotlift01
01-22-2007, 11:58 AM
Hey I don't know JACK about the Dmax's....I have a Cummins. But my brother had an 02' Dmax and installed the Edge w/ tude on his and now he is having some funky issues with the tranny. The dealer keeps telling him that he is throwing the safety switches because it will want to start out in 3rd gear and won't shift at times and weird stuff like that.

The truck has 65,000 miles on it and everything was fine until he threw that chip on. Anybody have any ideas what to do about this?

Thanks

massdiesel
01-22-2007, 12:02 PM
more than likey the dealer is correct it is in limp mode.

Burner
01-22-2007, 12:05 PM
Gotlift...... do you have an auto in the Dodge?

wideopen
01-22-2007, 12:19 PM
Are you sure it's 3rd and not 4th?? When I have limped my tranny in the past it went into 4th and wouldn't come out till I cleared the code or Stoped and let it set for a few seconds and then restarted the truck.

Firedawg
01-22-2007, 12:21 PM
My tranny was acting crazy, sitfing in and out fast, shifting at real higk rpm's and suck with the edge platinum, tuck it out and got a sct x2 and never had another problem with it. Does it do it on all settings on the edge box?

Gotlift01
01-22-2007, 04:51 PM
Gotlift...... do you have an auto in the Dodge?

Yep sure do, it's an 01 w/ 99K miles on the stock tranny. Running 38" swampers and an edge comp.......the tranny flippin hates me!!

Gotlift01
01-22-2007, 04:55 PM
Yeah it might be 4th I'm not 100% sure. All I know is that it keeps doing it and is royally ticking him off! If he takes the edge off, then it goes away, but as soon as he puts it back in it will start all over again.

So what causes the limp mode? Is it something that is faulty in the chip or what? Any clues on how to make it stop?

He went to the stock show the other day here in Denver and talked to ATS......they were telling him that he glazed his clutches and that he needed to install new ones for around $900 bucks:umno:

Burner
01-22-2007, 08:04 PM
Gotlift, your Dodge Auto and the Allison trans are worlds apart, totally different transmissions. Where your trans will grind and grunt, eating it's self alive the Allison will not. To break it down...there are speed sensors on the front and rear of the transmission. These ...errmmm...wheels work off %. If the first wheel is running @ 2,300 RPM in 3rd, the rear wheel is running @ 3,000 RPM. If there is a difference greater than X then the trans will go into limp mode. The Allison does this for self protection. An allison is least likely to just stop working like normal transmissions. You trans could just die at any time but an Allison will most likely not.

I'd suggest that you turn the low fueling down to 0 and try the EDGE box. If that doesn't work...the trans clutches are probably toast.

Call a SunCoast rep in your area and see what they can do. SunCoast transmissions run Alto cluthes....others do not.

tarmacblack
01-22-2007, 08:32 PM
Gotlift, your Dodge Auto and the Allison trans are worlds apart, totally different transmissions. Where your trans will grind and grunt, eating it's self alive the Allison will not. To break it down...there are speed sensors on the front and rear of the transmission. These ...errmmm...wheels work off %. If the first wheel is running @ 2,300 RPM in 3rd, the rear wheel is running @ 3,000 RPM. If there is a difference greater than X then the trans will go into limp mode. The Allison does this for self protection. An allison is least likely to just stop working like normal transmissions. You trans could just die at any time but an Allison will most likely not.

I'd suggest that you turn the low fueling down to 0 and try the EDGE box. If that doesn't work...the trans clutches are probably toast.

Call a SunCoast rep in your area and see what they can do. SunCoast transmissions run Alto cluthes....others do not.

Wow!! That was one of the best explanations of Limp mode i've ever heard!!

It's amazing how so many people can install a power adder and not realize that the power not the electronics are actually causing the problems.

It's nice to see guys who know there stuff helping to educate. :thankyou2:

Gotlift01
01-23-2007, 09:15 AM

I'll try the adjusting the low fueling and see what happens. In some respects I like the allison and in some others I don't.......dang thing is to smart for me:bang

So if the clutches are toast, would it still do the same thing without the chip being installed? Cuz if he removes it completely the truck drives totally fine and never has a problem......but once he throws it back on the first trip down the road it will act up.

wideopen
01-23-2007, 09:31 AM
What setting is e running it in on daily.. With a stock Tranny anything over the 3rd with the fuel turned up will cause that.

Gotlift01
01-23-2007, 09:37 AM
He always runs on 3.......occasionally 5 when some punk wants to race but not that much.

wideopen
01-23-2007, 09:46 AM
And it's going to Limp mode using setting 3..Dang .

Gotlift01
01-23-2007, 09:54 AM
Yep that's why we are so stumped on what the problem is. I did however forget to mention that he has a Bully Dog shift kit in there.......I don't know if that would cause this or not? I totally forgot he even had that installed

Burner
01-23-2007, 11:00 AM
Yep that's why we are so stumped on what the problem is. I did however forget to mention that he has a Bully Dog shift kit in there.......I don't know if that would cause this or not? I totally forgot he even had that installed

:hehe: That Bully Dog is the biggest POS I've ever seen or should I say con?

So, you're sayiing the power level 3 slips and power level 4 and 5 do not? Or, are you saying that anything over power level 3 will slip it?

Also, the Allison has tap-cells that learn your input vs load. If you jump 100 HP and expect your trans to follow...you're SOL. The tap-cells need time to adapt. The only way around that is a built trans with something that will clear or reset tap-cells. Heck a simple trans-go kit can fix a lot of problems......but this trans sounds like it needs a rebuild. If this were a 47RE like the one you have,....it would be toast already and the truck would not be moving.

Gotlift01
01-23-2007, 01:28 PM
:hehe: That Bully Dog is the biggest POS I've ever seen or should I say con?

So, you're sayiing the power level 3 slips and power level 4 and 5 do not? Or, are you saying that anything over power level 3 will slip it?

Also, the Allison has tap-cells that learn your input vs load. If you jump 100 HP and expect your trans to follow...you're SOL. The tap-cells need time to adapt. The only way around that is a built trans with something that will clear or reset tap-cells. Heck a simple trans-go kit can fix a lot of problems......but this trans sounds like it needs a rebuild. If this were a 47RE like the one you have,....it would be toast already and the truck would not be moving.

Yeah I know......that Bullydog sucks and I told him that before he bought it......but these jerkwads he bought it from convinced him to do it. He doesn't know squat about diesels so he didn't know any better.

What I'm saying is anytime he puts the chip back on the truck.......the first time he drives it down the street it will go into limp mode. It doesn't slip at all.....none what so ever......it just simply goes into limp mode no matter what setting it is on.

Take the chip out......everything is fine. He can drive all over the place, pull trailers and it drives perfectly normal......

Noreaster
01-23-2007, 05:58 PM
Id call Edge about the problems, they should be able to help.

tarmacblack
01-25-2007, 10:33 AM
Edge Tech Support will be able to help you out.

The juice module doesn't interface with the TCM at all though. Unless you've got a short on the board or in the harness it is more than likely that another module will produce the same result.