PDA

View Full Version : Power adders

John_P
01-31-2007, 03:50 PM
I would like to get some input from the members here about "power adders" to our 5.9 Cummins Engines, specifically whether the adddition of twin turbos on them is the same or equal to what a good nitrous system may add?? This would be applied to an engine that was specifically set-up for these components using "heavier or high performance" parts such as studs, heavier transmissions, bigger clutches/flywheels, larger injectors, proper gauges, intercoolers etc. and NOT to say a more "stock" type truck.

From time to time, I hear (and have been involved in) discussions as to whether or not a twin turbo system is equal to a large single charger truck that has a good nitrous system on it. Lets assume that both trucks are about equal in H.P./Torque on the dyno initially.

My view is that the single charger truck with the nitrous has an "edge" because of the fact that all the owner has to do is add a larger jet or jets to get more power, while the guy with the twin turbo system is pretty much "stuck" with what he has. At a drag strip the twin turbo truck can't do much, but if the guy with nitrous system wants more power he has the ability to do it.

I reference several dyno events that I have been to where guys with good nitrous systems didn't like the dyno "numbers" they had, so they just kept adding larger jets until they got the power to where they could win! One case in particular I saw a diesel owner get almost 200 more H.P. from the nitrous. FWIW, I have nothing against nitrous systems on our trucks and in fact my son has a system in his 2004 Dodge CTD CR and gains about 80 H.P. from a single-stage dry system.

Finally, at drag race events, do you guys think they are "equal?"

My thanks to your replies in advance.

--------
John_P

Billysgoat
01-31-2007, 08:56 PM
I don't think they are equal, mainly due to the tuning ability with jet sizes. If a racer has all the fuel needed adding air with the bottle is easy, with a twin setup once you are maxed out on airflow, that's it. With a NOS system adding air is just a jet change away.

joefarmer
01-31-2007, 10:49 PM
There's some adjustability in the twins setup with wastegate configuration. I had a range of about 28HP difference with different wastegate settings on the IdahoCTD 40/B2 setup.

Nitrous with a progressive laptop controller is the bomb- Ran 11.90 on a 12.0 index? No problem, bring down nitrous on the big end down 5%. Much easier than on a gasser if your bottom end can handle the shots.

bnraond.

Timbeaux
02-01-2007, 09:33 AM
I think the single charger/spray combo is better on a street truck. I dont wanna drive around Birmingham in the rain with 700 hp under foot all the time. The problem with that setup is some chargers tend to have odd issues with copious amounts of the juice

Soup Nazi
02-01-2007, 09:53 AM
The problem stems from NHRA partly. They are a gasser bunch.

Turbos work much differently on a gasser than the Diesel. A gasser adds fuel in a much tighter window of stoich. So if they add more turbo, they have to add more fuel.

A little 302 cubic inch gasser can add a large single turbo and larger injectors to make 2000 HP.

So, rightly the NHRA sees the turbo as a power adder on par with the Nitrous systems for gassers.

There is a some disparity between the gas and Diesel world on terminology. We know that nitrous and singles can have an advantage in overall HP, but the NHRA is just getting their feet wet.

9 LIVES
02-01-2007, 02:51 PM
Where can we add more HP on these 5.9's ? besides N20, water/meth, propane, twins...what else is there to add the #'s ?? take for instance MADDOG, Haisley,garmon & Stucky's truck above and beyond big twins,pump mods & spray what have they done that I or anyone else can do to their truck for the bigger #'s?

joefarmer
02-02-2007, 12:20 AM
More air, more fuel.

brandon.

RacinDuallie
02-02-2007, 04:33 AM
More air, more fuel.

brandon.add some N.O.S. and save the LPG for cooking in the pits......LOL

joefarmer
02-03-2007, 01:44 AM
Coming soon, new pictures of me and my power adders...

brandon.

bones
02-03-2007, 08:05 AM
a lot of it depends upon were you stand,it may seem as easy as adding jets,and on some days due to atmospheric conditions this can be done,i fell extra turbo is a power adder as is nos,which is better,i dunno but i prefer nos.....

TJSHOTROD
02-03-2007, 02:59 PM
I think the single charger/spray combo is better on a street truck. I dont wanna drive around Birmingham in the rain with 700 hp under foot all the time. The problem with that setup is some chargers tend to have odd issues with copious amounts of the juice

It is not bad running around in the rain. I am not quite 700hp but as long as you keep your foot out of it or and the comp off its easy to drive.

If you talking a race only truck I would say single and spray on a daily driver like mine I would say twins. I like always having the power when I want it without getting out of the truck for when you want to race someone light to light or on the freeway. One other thing you can always add spray to a twinned truck if needed but a single on spray is maxed out.

TJ

DavidTD
02-03-2007, 03:58 PM
John, great topic.

I think twins and diesel only is harder to acheive the same results as compared to single and N2O. Now having said that, I by no means say that racing effectively is easier.

IMO - singles that are ripping up the track with N20 are having their own issues. But no doubt there is a ton of power to be had their. When you consider that Garmon took a stock 12v with milled pistons, stock cam, honed injectors and a 13mm pump and made over 1000hp just like that, I'd say it's easy to make the power.

And the folks that are going fast with either set-up like the Spruill's, Perry, or Stuckey all have their little "secrets" they have learned to make their set-ups effective. Thats the best part of racing to me...