PDA

View Full Version : head gasket and scarred sleeve now what?

gladesauce7
09-29-2009, 10:43 PM
i busted a head gasket and when we took it apart cylinder number 6 was scarred really bad up and down on one side i could actually feel that the wall was ovalled out in a spot. Then on cylinder number 2 and 3 it was all rust pitted on the cylinder walls. I wish i would have took pics. I put the head back on w/ new gasket it held for two races! (at this point i just wanted to drive the truck i worked the last 6 months on). Some how the motor ran pretty good. Need to figure some crap out what you guys think?

I have a good common rail motor should i just build it with my p pump?
or
balance the 12 valve and o ring the head?

How did this happen to cylinder 6? I'm not a big engine builder..

Wingaman
10-03-2009, 10:05 AM
#6 on those B series are the hottest cylinder and bad coolant flow.

Clunk
10-03-2009, 07:39 PM
That's why the pyrometer goes on the passage from #6.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p288/Clunk_/pyro-1.jpg

SKYNYRD
10-03-2009, 07:46 PM
the fact that the number 1 and number 6 cylinders get the least amount of air and the number 6 gets warm coolant it tends to be the one to go first but if its only on one part of the piston wall it could be a broken piston ring. have you had alot of blow by with the engine?
you're going to have to pull the block and have a shop mic it depending on how bad the cylinder is they might be able to just bore the cylinders out and put over sized pistons in it. if the cylinder is to bad they would have to bore it and put a sleeve in the block. i would say that if the piston was tearing up the cylinder wall at that point it has just kept doing so and will keep going until some major happens.

gladesauce7
10-05-2009, 11:58 PM
well that makes sense. i guess i could have figured that out...... I am just a little burned out on working on this truck. If anybody is in the process of building a motor i wouldn't mind lending a hand so i know exactly how to do mine and what to look out for when i rebuild this... I do have a book on the motor i just prefer to learn by hands on experience.

richsdieselperf
01-27-2010, 04:27 PM
either have to get bored out or get a good machine shop to see if they can put a sleeve in the bad cylinders for ya. Sorry about your luck.

jaybuller
01-27-2010, 04:57 PM
yeah it realy sounds like a broken ring,