PDA

View Full Version : More ponys from a 96 3406e

B_Schutz
10-25-2009, 08:09 PM
:umno:What is the first step for turning up a 1996 3406e. My International 9300would like just a touch more power!! What suggestions do you have?

LReiff
10-26-2009, 08:18 AM
Hot injector codes should add around 40-50 hp and a fuel temp resistor adds another 40-50. Then you need to make sure you have a good intercooler and put a bigger turbo on it!

BTO86
10-29-2009, 04:45 PM
Whats it set at now? Whats the engine serial number prefix?

B_Schutz
10-29-2009, 05:19 PM
yep that was quick, your over my head. Does the engine have its own serial #, and where would it be?

LReiff
10-30-2009, 10:35 AM
Engine serial number is on a sticker on the rocker box. Left side of the engine if it's in a truck.

B_Schutz
10-30-2009, 02:22 PM
I will have to stop by the semi-shed and check out the tag.

BTO86
10-30-2009, 03:19 PM
Could possibly be on the cam gear cover too Brock. Dont even really need the complete number if its hard to read, the first 3 digits will work, like a 5EK, MBL, 2KS etc. Worse case scenario just get the last 8 digits of the truck VIN and i can figure it out.
Brian

B_Schutz
11-03-2009, 10:44 PM
First 3 of the engine serial number is 5ek. Its rated at 435hp. The truck doesnt smoke at all, surely theres room for more fuel. What do I have to do to turn it up? Can I do it with a snap-on modis? I can hook up to semis to get trouble codes, but thats all Ive ever tried.

BTO86
11-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Well there's always room for more fuel:ft:. No you wont be able to do any of that with a modis. Ive got a laptop with Cat ET on it for work, you have to get a calibration from cat and download it into the ecm and all that good stuff. You want like maybe 475?

B_Schutz
11-06-2009, 12:24 AM
How far can you go and not worry about EGTs? Whatever level you think:cheer:

jfaulkner
11-07-2009, 10:41 AM
There's guys around that can get you hot programs for it. Forget about Cat they won't do anything above 550hp. You can control EGT's with your foot or a turbo swap. It's better to buy a spare ECM, have it flashed to whatever power you want and if it needs any repair put the stock one back. Wouldn't want to have a custom tuned ECM over written by a mechanic doing an "emissions update".

These trucks are electronic doing what Caterpillar will tell you can't be done.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGXDJqrlOaM
Needless to say this is not a Cat "tune" at idle!:rockwoot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25P2bpt7WbQ

FosterW
11-07-2009, 11:35 AM
I can't believe that thing is even running.

BTO86
11-10-2009, 09:36 AM
For one, i'm sure since it's a farm truck that he's going to want a 1000 horse truck that he has to sugar foot every trip to the elevator and worry about melting every piston in. Yeah because that would make perfect sense wouldnt it? Two, your telliing me those are electronic engines?:bs:..Since so many full blown pulling semis are electronic (NOT). Usually old KTA cummins, 71 detroits and 3408 cats so on and so forth. Three, i'm sure Brock wants to spend a grand or however much on a spare ecm and then have to swap it all the time for no reason at all or spend 1500+ for a bigger turbo when i'm sure he'd be happy to have more 550 hp or more with what he's got. Some people have to use their stuff for work and not just play. At least know what you're talking about.
There's always a Pittsburgh Power box Brock. But you're talking about 2500 bucks usually. (Since a simple/free laptop change is so bad)LOL

Snedge
11-10-2009, 09:40 AM
:umno:What is the first step for turning up a 1996 3406e. My International 9300would like just a touch more power!! What suggestions do you have?

Injector trim codes will do the trick. Finding someone in Illinois that will set them is the only hurdle.

BTO86
11-10-2009, 10:07 AM
just have jarrod give you my number and we'll go from there..maybe mess with it some rainy day when we're not in the field.

jfaulkner
11-11-2009, 10:28 AM
For one, i'm sure since it's a farm truck that he's going to want a 1000 horse truck that he has to sugar foot every trip to the elevator and worry about melting every piston in. Yeah because that would make perfect sense wouldnt it? Two, your telliing me those are electronic engines?:bs:..Since so many full blown pulling semis are electronic (NOT). Usually old KTA cummins, 71 detroits and 3408 cats so on and so forth. Three, i'm sure Brock wants to spend a grand or however much on a spare ecm and then have to swap it all the time for no reason at all or spend 1500+ for a bigger turbo when i'm sure he'd be happy to have more 550 hp or more with what he's got. Some people have to use their stuff for work and not just play. At least know what you're talking about.
There's always a Pittsburgh Power box Brock. But you're talking about 2500 bucks usually. (Since a simple/free laptop change is so bad)LOL
First of all I never suggested he wanted 1000hp, just that you can get WHATEVER HP YOU WANT and not from Cat. Second yes those are electronic engines (6NZ), I know that's really hard for you to believe (must be a factory trained mechanic LOL) Third since it's a 3406e it's probably got some miles on it so a turbo swap isn't out of the question. Also you can get trim codes for free or even a custom tuned ECM for just a little more $$$ than what Cat's going to charge you for a 550 program WITH all the nice little emissions updates. Pittsburgh box.... :lolly:.

BTO86
11-11-2009, 12:19 PM
First of all I never suggested he wanted 1000hp, just that you can get WHATEVER HP YOU WANT and not from Cat. Second yes those are electronic engines (6NZ), I know that's really hard for you to believe (must be a factory trained mechanic LOL) Third since it's a 3406e it's probably got some miles on it so a turbo swap isn't out of the question. Also you can get trim codes for free or even a custom tuned ECM for just a little more $$$ than what Cat's going to charge you for a 550 program WITH all the nice little emissions updates. Pittsburgh box.... :lolly:.

:bow::bow: It's not hard to believe at all, since i'm a "factory trained mechanic" and all. I guess that means all i know is what they've taught me and never looked into how to slew software or any other of "emissions" things :hehe: Since we have an E model that is above and beyond what my little laptop can do. I can get trim codes all day long thats no problem either.. What are these emissions updates you keep preaching about since you know more about this than anybody? What does having a 550 to 600 horse E model have anything to do with emissions updates??lol ooook? Last time i checked there arent really any emissions items on E models in this part of the country. Or at least none that i've rebuilt but you would know more about than me right?:bow:
I think he said something about wanting a "touch" more power. I guess i'm out of the loop because i guess that means like 300 more? I really dont know much afterall huh?

BTO86
11-11-2009, 12:25 PM
and whats so wrong with a Pittsburgh box? I've personally never had much trouble with them and i think they work damn good but once again....:bow:

inline6359
11-11-2009, 12:49 PM
and whats so wrong with a Pittsburgh box? I've personally never had much trouble with them and i think they work damn good but once again....:bow:

For the money and ECM is more fun......

LReiff
11-11-2009, 01:02 PM

Oh yeah! ...and a turbo...oh did I mention a cam and injectors? Them E model cats are like the CR cummins in the pickups...so much to tinker with and so easy to make more power LOL

BTO86
11-11-2009, 01:26 PM

Yeah they are a little more pricey then they oughta be thats for sure. ECM? I'm just a "factory trained mechanic" so i wouldnt know anything about the ins and outs of one of those state of the art things:hehe:..All i can do is "emissions updates"

inline6359
11-11-2009, 03:09 PM
Oh yeah! ...and a turbo...oh did I mention a cam and injectors? Them E model cats are like the CR cummins in the pickups...so much to tinker with and so easy to make more power LOL

Yep, now if i can just get more then 2750 down the track............

LReiff
11-11-2009, 03:12 PM
Yep, now if i can just get more then 2750 down the track............

I like your title LOL LOL Keep it up and you'll get there!

inline6359
11-11-2009, 03:21 PM
I like your title LOL LOL Keep it up and you'll get there!

LOL Ever seen joe cartoon??

Alot of the guys who pull cats up here run 14-15 liter engines being a 3406E, c-15 or a component 15 liter using a combo of parts from both engines, and make pretty decent power for doing it for fun. IIRC we have the 40 pin's 2750, maybe 2900, and a 70 pin to 2750. Problem is we dont know the right people to break those barriers.

jfaulkner
11-11-2009, 03:28 PM
:bow::bow: It's not hard to believe at all, since i'm a "factory trained mechanic" and all. I guess that means all i know is what they've taught me and never looked into how to slew software or any other of "emissions" things :hehe: Since we have an E model that is above and beyond what my little laptop can do. I can get trim codes all day long thats no problem either.. What are these emissions updates you keep preaching about since you know more about this than anybody? What does having a 550 to 600 horse E model have anything to do with emissions updates??lol ooook? Last time i checked there arent really any emissions items on E models in this part of the country. Or at least none that i've rebuilt but you would know more about than me right?:bow:
I think he said something about wanting a "touch" more power. I guess i'm out of the loop because i guess that means like 300 more? I really dont know much afterall huh?Haha someone's got their panties in a bunch. As far as "emissions" I mean the latest software update to clean things up a bit. Don't tell me you've never heard of anyone getting a truck updated only to lose performance and fuel mileage. I bet you took your pickup to Cummins for all your mods didn't you?
Yep, now if i can just get more then 2750 down the track............Haha, Cat do that for you or is it that Pittsburgh box?:hehe: Must be those million dollar custom ECM's.

LReiff
11-11-2009, 03:34 PM
LOL Ever seen joe cartoon??

Alot of the guys who pull cats up here run 14-15 liter engines being a 3406E, c-15 or a component 15 liter using a combo of parts from both engines, and make pretty decent power for doing it for fun. IIRC we have the 40 pin's 2750, maybe 2900, and a 70 pin to 2750. Problem is we dont know the right people to break those barriers.

I have a 70 pin ecm laying here that would sound good turning 2750 :poke:

BTO86
11-11-2009, 07:55 PM
LOL Well fellas ya go from somebody simply wanting a little more power out of his truck to swapping parts, changing ecm's etc. When none of that is even relevant to what he's wanting. All i was trying to do was do a simple quick thing for him that would make it run probably 2 times better. Once again people on here always have better ideas or just simply want to put their input in to be a smarta$$. And it depends on what your version of update is once again. We've had trucks at the shop get better mileage while having more power after a power update. All depends on the driver and how the truck is spec'd. Once in a while you'll have that gear jammer that always has to ***** and say, this thing dont run worth a ***:blahblah1: when in all reality its fine.
And yeah i take my truck all the way to a cummins only shop just to get the oil changed, tires rotated etc.:hehe: Once in a great while they might change my air filter when i wanna get wild. Know anybody that can work on one of these cummins things??

LReiff
11-11-2009, 08:06 PM
Put the hot injector codes in it and a fuel temp resistor...so simple it should be done already!!!:poke:

BTO86
11-11-2009, 08:10 PM
spare time is pretty slim for both of us this time of year. Afterall it is november and harvest is just now in full swing.:bang

inline6359
11-11-2009, 09:46 PM
Haha someone's got their panties in a bunch. As far as "emissions" I mean the latest software update to clean things up a bit. Don't tell me you've never heard of anyone getting a truck updated only to lose performance and fuel mileage. I bet you took your pickup to Cummins for all your mods didn't you?
Haha, Cat do that for you or is it that Pittsburgh box?:hehe: Must be those million dollar custom ECM's.

Custom ecm....

Lemme see what i can do......

http://www.youtube.com/user/1meansledpuller#p/u/5/tET-8uko1uc

This is my boss's truck. (70 pin at 2750)

inline6359
11-17-2009, 01:27 PM

Call up PDI, guess there is a guy there doing custom programs on 6nz's.....

LReiff
11-17-2009, 01:37 PM
That truck sound awesome!

But the only reason it went that far was because that mack was pushing it LOL

Snedge
11-17-2009, 02:03 PM
LOL Well fellas ya go from somebody simply wanting a little more power out of his truck to swapping parts, changing ecm's etc. When none of that is even relevant to what he's wanting. All i was trying to do was do a simple quick thing for him that would make it run probably 2 times better. Once again people on here always have better ideas or just simply want to put their input in to be a smarta$$. And it depends on what your version of update is once again. We've had trucks at the shop get better mileage while having more power after a power update. All depends on the driver and how the truck is spec'd. Once in a while you'll have that gear jammer that always has to ***** and say, this thing dont run worth a ***:blahblah1: when in all reality its fine.
And yeah i take my truck all the way to a cummins only shop just to get the oil changed, tires rotated etc.:hehe: Once in a great while they might change my air filter when i wanna get wild. Know anybody that can work on one of these cummins things??

LOLComing here and asking about a little more power is like going to a ***** house just to sniff panties.

jfaulkner
11-17-2009, 02:31 PM
Boost Engineering is claiming 3750 RPM max under load. Sure would sound great.

LReiff
11-17-2009, 04:05 PM
Boost Engineering is claiming 3750 RPM max under load. Sure would sound great.

Who? Where? :what:

jfaulkner
11-17-2009, 04:43 PM
http://boost-engineering.com/ The info isn't on their site it came from the guy who wrote the software to mod ECM's. We presenlty running at 3850 RPM max limit under pull (no high idle to prevent breaking of the top...)

About programming.. this is a complete software that i developped... of course.. Cat ET is only a "viewer"... for diagnostic purposes...

Regards,

LouisHere's a video he said demonstrates the RPM.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx-znc7GaSg

LReiff
11-17-2009, 05:07 PM
Sweet! I knew by the sound that those trucks are running higher rpm but never knew the details. Thanks!

Charles
11-17-2009, 05:19 PM
I've got a serious 3406 question...

Today our T800 started overheating, running 220+ degrees under light load pulling nothing but a skytrak on a tri-axle lowboy, and I was taking it easy at that keeping the rpm around 2000 or so and not lugging it. Otherwise it would sink the gauge.

So I stopped and the radiator was cold to the touch, lower hose was also cold, but the upper was hot as hell. So I yanked the T-stat and replaced it...

No change. So what's the deal? Why can't I get any damned coolant to move through the system? Fwiw, the heat in the cab works, as I was using it to try and pull heat out of the system while I eased back to the shop. That makes me think the water pump is working, the path is just blocked to the radiator.

So what's the deal? You guys seem up on the 3406. I believe it's a B model. It' mech injected.

I don't mean to interrupt the thread, just saw a bunch of talk about the 3406 and I need the voice of experience here. If this should be moved, mods feel free.

Thanks.

LReiff
11-17-2009, 05:44 PM
The water pump impeller is most likely eroded to the point that it will not circulate coolant.

SmokinCAT
11-18-2009, 05:54 AM
Custom ecm....

Lemme see what i can do......

http://www.youtube.com/user/1meansledpuller#p/u/5/tET-8uko1uc

This is my boss's truck. (70 pin at 2750)

That truck is still running pretty clean compared to some I have seen. Here is a vid of the one we pull against.

Wilmington FFA Pull 09 :: M2U00242.flv video by Truckinbobb - Photobucket (http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm65/Truckinbobb/Wilmington%20FFA%20Pull%2009/?action=view&current=M2U00242.flv)

jfaulkner
11-18-2009, 07:05 AM
I thought he was having some big gear dreams at the beginning but it came alive. Definitely has enough fuel.:rockwoot:

LReiff
11-18-2009, 09:10 AM
No doubt! That's what I want for a pulling truck LOL

inline6359
11-18-2009, 05:37 PM
That truck is still running pretty clean compared to some I have seen. Here is a vid of the one we pull against.

Wilmington FFA Pull 09 :: M2U00242.flv video by Truckinbobb - Photobucket (http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm65/Truckinbobb/Wilmington%20FFA%20Pull%2009/?action=view&current=M2U00242.flv)

Ye hes doing it for fun, dosent want to get to the point where it gets like pulling witht he pickup guys. I am going to try to get him to dyno it this summer.

SmokinCAT
11-18-2009, 09:19 PM
Yeah I know what ya mean, that truck gets hauled almost everywhere, pretty bad for street truck with an electronic engine. Here is one for comparison, same pull, this truck has a p-pumped K series in it and got seventy feet put on it. Needless to say the closet truck that day was only forty feet behind.:doh:

Wilmington FFA Pull 09 :: M2U00241.flv video by Truckinbobb - Photobucket (http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm65/Truckinbobb/Wilmington%20FFA%20Pull%2009/?action=view&current=M2U00241.flv)

Jfaulkner, where abouts in ohio are you from?

jfaulkner
11-19-2009, 07:50 AM
Jfaulkner, where abouts in ohio are you from?
North east of Dayton.