PDA

View Full Version : Newbie wanting info

NOVICOUPE
02-09-2007, 08:39 AM
I am a newbie to this site and for the most part diesel engines.I am wanting to get a new different truck.(I now have a 1991 F-250 ext. cab with 460 5-speed.)I am wanitng to go with a diesel since I will be hauling my street strip mustang back and forth to the strip.I have a 20 all steel open car trailer Iwill be only going to be hauling the car only every couple of weeks and driving the truck as a daily driver the rest of the time.I am wanting a 1994-1997 f-250 or f-350 crew cab 4x4. What is a decent price for one of these in good shape with decent miles.All the ones here seem to be pretty high. several 1997 f-350 crews around here with 150,000 with a asking price of between $15,000and $16,000. I need to know what to look for as far as getting a good diesel truck.Which trans is better? I would prefer an automatic but if the 5 speed will cause less problems and be a better overall trans I will go with that.What are the major problems that I will run into with as far as costly repairs for trucks with higher miles.Obviously the lower the miles the better, but what mileage is too much as far as having to probably dump a bunch of money into the truck shortly after getting it.I live in NE IN so winters will be pretty cold some years.What problems come with cold weather.In my case do you think a diesel is for me or would a gas truck actually be more of what I want.I just want to not make a bad decision and not end up with a good truck.I know some of these question are probaly answered other places on here I just did not want to have to search a bunch for all the answers I am looking for.Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks Chip(NOVIOUPE)

Timbeaux
02-09-2007, 08:50 AM
Welcome to Competition Diesel Chip. Id think 15-16k for a 97 is a bit on the high side. I have a friens that bought a 96 350 srw CC 4x4 for about 8k if I recall correctly?

nummit
02-09-2007, 09:34 AM
Welcome to CompDiesel Chip

weweld
02-09-2007, 09:58 AM
:welcome: Yes it sounds a little high , I just sold the bosses truck 2000 F250 Lariat for 15K

wideopen
02-09-2007, 10:02 AM
Welcome, Likes been said before that sounded a little high.. You should be able to get a 99'-00' for that kind of money.

txranchman
03-22-2007, 12:30 PM
Chip,

I had a 97 CC LB 7.3L 5spd 4x4 that I paid 10K for 3 years ago, it had 210,000miles on it at the time.

I did a bunch of work on it, as it did not have the best service history. I spent about 9 grand on the truck, but mainly because if I'm going to tear into something I would rather replace it all, rather than have to go back and do it again in a year or so. I did all the injectors, new push rods, a couple rocker arms, valve cover gaskets, 1 new injector harness, new glow plugs, AIC, rebuilt the front diff, whole new steering and front end components, new brakes, rear axle seals, LUK single mass clutch/flywheel, banks GitKit with downpipe and 4" exhaust and a few other things. Switched to all amsoil synthetic lube in the trans, transfer case, front and rear diffs.

I put an AIC on it from ITP diesel in AZ for cold morning starts. I also put dual block heaters and a circulator. Make sure you use a thinner grade or lighter weight oil in the winter. I stuck with conventional oil, since it already had so many miles and ppl have suggested NOT to go synthetic with higher mileage engines, might flip seals and what not.

Just make sure you plug it in and have it on a timer in the cold mornings. NO problems with it in the winter at all. 15-16K for those years of trucks sounds a bit high unless it has like no miles on it??

strokin'_tatsch
03-22-2007, 06:40 PM
well. i only paid 3K for mine with 240,000 miles on it and the only problems i have had so far is the fuel pump, and the tranny needed to be rebuilt, but to my knowledge the tranny had never been messed with. i went ahead and put in a new LUK single mass flywheel, clutch, pressure plate and flywheel. but that is all that i've had to do to it so far. oh yeah and new batteries. and all the exhaust past the cat. converter ran away after i hit it with a hammer a few times:hehe: . that sounds like too much money for a '97, and i would get the 5spd. i haven't heard anything good about the automatic's.