PDA

View Full Version : F-350 steering very stiff.

house
11-01-2009, 03:58 PM
My buddy has a 96 f-350 4x4. His steering has always been a little stiffer than I think it should be, but last night he was driving and all the sudden pretty much completely lost the power steering. Figuring that the pump had taken a dump on him he got a new one and put it on today. The problem as basically not changed at all since the new pump was installed. The truck is very hard to steer. Would could possibly be the problem? Thanks in advance.

Bushwakd
11-01-2009, 06:58 PM
Just a shot in the dark, hydroboost issue.

house
11-02-2009, 09:28 PM
Just a shot in the dark, hydroboost issue.

1996.... has vacum brakes.

RubberDuck
11-15-2009, 02:46 AM
Joe, it's probably going to be his lower ball joints. Tell him to put the front axle up on jack stands and knock the tie rod loose on both sides. And see how each side feels. If they move freely with no binding, I would guess gear box.

Speaking of gear box, if someone has loosened that jam nut and made too big of an adjustment in the box, it will be really stiff. You know what I'm talking about, there is a screw with a jam nut on the top side of the gear box.

Anyway, I changed my ball joints on my 95 and I installed the lowers with the wrong tool and I think it crushed the joint housing a little. It was so tight, there was no return to center. So I'm gonna say it's one of those two.