PDA

View Full Version : J/D 990-cronic terminal corrosion

BgBlDodge
11-04-2009, 08:45 AM
My parents bought a brand new 990 about 6 or 7 years ago. Ever since then we have battled the cables and terminals corroding to the point that they have to be replaced. This isn't a yearly thing either. Happens several times a year. We've replaced the battery several times and tried different brands, we've replaced all the battery cables, we've tried all the different anti-corrosion gimmicks out there, we've even taken it to a mechanic and let them look it over. I'm leaning towards environmental factor causing this. The battery is pretty exposed sitting right at the front nose of the tractor. Would putting it in a battery box help instead of having it exposed to all the rain and what not? Thanks for the help.

not enoughsmoke
11-04-2009, 09:06 AM
What's the voltage the alt puttin out? We make our own cables and use zinc plated batter ends no crossion since and old fords are just as bad stopped my problems

BgBlDodge
11-05-2009, 09:58 AM
Not sure. Terminals are so corroded that the dash lights barely come on. Dad is going to get it started and then check and let me know. I'm 160 miles away from the tractor so I gotta wait on them to get it done. Thanks.

JDGnut
12-15-2009, 07:23 PM
Little late here.. but I'm guessing the voltages are fine.. (with the terminal clean) We have a 750 and really haven't had any problems.. but our Diesel gator.. (about the same engine in all 3) eats cables.. I'd like to try a Gel battery in it, but it has a small battery..