PDA

View Full Version : Decisions Decisions...

Randall12v
02-15-2007, 04:34 AM
I got a 1997 Dodge 2500 Cummins, 123,000 Mi., Auto, Club Cab, Longbed, SLT version--so power everything, Rebuilt tranny, HD torque convertor, shift kit, Straightpiped Exhaust, Homemade Intake, #10 plate I believe, I have pictures uploaded in my profile..

buuuuttt I have the chance to trade for a 1997 Dodge 2500 Cummins, motor is stock, 111,000 mi., 5 Speed, reg. cab, but SLT power everything...trade off I get to keep my DMI bumper and stainless light bar I made, and my 285 M/T's and American racing wheel, and my homemade stainless gauge housing and gauges and what not.

pretty much my thoughts, I get rid of the horrible Auto trans. which I haven't done anything to, and get a 5 speed. with the 215 p-pump vs. the 180

anything thoughts or suggestions??

PRattenbury
02-15-2007, 04:58 AM
Kinda depends what you use your truck for. For me, I like a built auto all day long. Key word there is built, though. Of course if you go 5 speed, you'll probably be dropping some cash on a clutch anyway.

tmacie
02-15-2007, 08:44 AM
Stick with what you have, unless yours is rusted out and that one is mint. Other than that, you arent really gaining anything....

Travis

RacinDuallie
02-15-2007, 09:57 AM
What are you plans to do with the truck? Pull? Race? Daily Driver? Tow-Haul?

Either way when you start to add mods to the mighty Cummins engine the trans will need some attention be it manual or automatic......

gunracer1
02-15-2007, 10:24 AM
i wish i had done a auto from the start

KingS
02-15-2007, 10:34 AM
If you get a built tranny like HTS ect. your auto isn't going to give you problems if it is only a hd convertor not a triple loc from suncoast or other. it will go out in a few years or sooner that is how long my dual lock convertor I had in mine before I had HTS build the one I have now truthfully I think the auto is a better way to go for all around use.

Randall12v
02-15-2007, 11:41 AM
If you get a built tranny like HTS ect. your auto isn't going to give you problems if it is only a hd convertor not a triple loc from suncoast or other. it will go out in a few years or sooner that is how long my dual lock convertor I had in mine before I had HTS build the one I have now truthfully I think the auto is a better way to go for all around use.

I was looking into HTS, it's closer to my area...and seemed a little cheaper. and all I have heard are good things...

Randall12v
02-15-2007, 11:44 AM
What are you plans to do with the truck? Pull? Race? Daily Driver? Tow-Haul?

Either way when you start to add mods to the mighty Cummins engine the trans will need some attention be it manual or automatic......

right now the truck needs to get me from illinois to wyoming in a little over a month, I'll be going to school there...so won't be pulling or racing, but once I graduate and come back, I have plans to build the truck up for both pulling and racing while keeping it a daily driver

Randall12v
02-15-2007, 11:53 AM
the one problem I know for sure with my truck is the power steering pump is leaking and I haven't narrowed it down to where exactly. don't get me wrong the truck I have now is very close to perfect, a few things here and there. but I just went and drove the other truck...it's a lot slower than mine--0-50, but with my stupid trans. that doesn't quickly shift outta 3rd, the 5 speed would beat it to 60+ mph. The dealer who has it told me it has a new injection pump, new (remanufactured) turbo (hx 35), pretty much just used on the farm day to day. guy traded it in for a 2002 6 speed Cummins.

KingS
02-15-2007, 12:45 PM
keep your truck and have HTS get your tranny going I love mine and I havn't heard anyone not like the results no matter what they had Dusty do to it.

Your truck will tear that other one up once you get you trans in shape.