PDA

View Full Version : Intake Pleniums and Springs?

97strokeonit
11-27-2009, 09:35 PM
What are intake Pleniums like these? would they be any good to me?

Swamp's Webstore - 7.3L 3" intake plenums (upgrade for 2" plenums on 1994-1997) (http://www.swampsdiesel.com/xtcommerce/product_info.php?info=p711_7-3L-3--intake-plenums--upgrade-for-2--plenums-on-1994-1997-.html)

Same question about valve springs? Would these do me anygood once I get my new turbo? D66 from beans.

Swamp's Webstore - Valve Springs, Comp Cams Comp Springs (http://www.swampsdiesel.com/xtcommerce/product_info.php?info=p698_Valve-Springs--Comp-Cams.html)

and lastly what all is done to a modded IDM? I would like to get mine professionally modded but dont know what all they do and if thats smart if I plan on alot of new upgrades. THANKS!!!:rockwoot:

02BigD
11-27-2009, 10:28 PM
The springs are stiffer, they prevent the valves from opening when you've upped the boost. I've heard 40 psi is around the number to make the change.

Modded IDM allows for more fuel.

Gadzooks!

wwm
11-28-2009, 01:30 AM
the idm sends stronger electrical surges for your injector to spray morefuel and the Pleniums are only if your running a pretty big turbo or alota air

97strokeonit
11-28-2009, 10:03 AM
the idm sends stronger electrical surges for your injector to spray morefuel and the Pleniums are only if your running a pretty big turbo or alota air

So when do you consider new springs cuz I only make like 15lbs of boost on launch but at WOT ive made upwards of 40lbs. The new turbo I want to get is a 66mm so would intake pleniums be needed for that size or is that too small still. So do they mod the IDM the same regardless of injector size? I just dont wanna get my IDM modded then get a set of hybrids and have to get it re modded again because it could push more juice to them. THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS!:rockwoot:

lukecline
11-28-2009, 09:27 PM
Modded IDM allows for more fuel.

Gadzooks!

kind of..... if your running small injectors with a stockish truck you may see little to no gain with modded idm, but if your running very large injectors at higher rpm you will see some gains. the modded idm raises voltage to the injectors causing yhem to open faster which allows more pulsewith at higher rpm. swamps diesel mods theres a little more but i cannot remember what all they do, i ran one in my twinned rig fwiw

97strokeonit
11-29-2009, 10:02 AM
kind of..... if your running small injectors with a stockish truck you may see little to no gain with modded idm, but if your running very large injectors at higher rpm you will see some gains. the modded idm raises voltage to the injectors causing yhem to open faster which allows more pulsewith at higher rpm. swamps diesel mods theres a little more but i cannot remember what all they do, i ran one in my twinned rig fwiw

but its not something like a chip where everytime I get new Injectors or something I will have to get it re burnt or re upgraded right. The mod them all the same regardless of how modded your truck is?

pontiacross
11-29-2009, 03:05 PM
but its not something like a chip where everytime I get new Injectors or something I will have to get it re burnt or re upgraded right. The mod them all the same regardless of how modded your truck is?
no you dont have to have your idm programed or anything like that but if you get one it wouldn't be a bad ide to tell your tuner that you havit, they may wont to change the tuneing on the chip slightly. those that have the modded idms say it helps with throttle responce especially on the old body stile trucks becasue they have a weaker idm anyway. I have one of swamps on my truck but I changed abunch of stuff at the same time so cant say if it did anything or not.

as for the intakes you probably wont see much of gaine from them especially if you run a d66 turbo, becasue your intake spyber will still be 2in. if you go up to a h2e or turbo like that it would be a good idea to go to the 3in intaks becasue you'll be changing the intake spyder at the same time so you could get a bigger one of those.

I wouldn't worry about valve springs unless your going to a set of hybrid injectors (or similar sized ones)

Cratos
12-01-2009, 09:51 AM
From your sig it looks like you have a long way to go befor you need intakes or springs
better start with chip, injectors exhaust turbo and such ,

97strokeonit
12-01-2009, 10:51 AM
From your sig it looks like you have a long way to go befor you need intakes or springs
better start with chip, injectors exhaust turbo and such ,

haha. I like my sig just like my truck... Sleeper. Ive got custome tunes, modded IDM, 160cc injectors, intake, exaust, and A turbo and HPOP I need time to install....:bang

Cratos
12-04-2009, 09:15 AM
if thats all you go spend the money on other things.you don't need then yet.
buy the way the billet plenums won't fit with the stock turbo.