PDA

View Full Version : Constant "cleaning exhaust filter"

jslay25
01-08-2010, 11:08 PM
Hey guys,

My 6.4 about every other day is throwing code "cleaning exhaust filter" and I' blowing smoke all over town. I have had it in the shop once and they reset the computer and thought they fixed it.

Is this normal? I thought these were supposed to help keep the air cleaner?

I have a Bully Dog GT tuner installed but I have kept it on "stock" to see if it helped...hasn't.

Any help would be great.

haloman
01-09-2010, 08:33 AM
Do you have any other any other mods? Without more info I would say ditch the Bullydog get an SCT and DPF delete kit thru a full exhaust.

ChaseN
01-10-2010, 09:13 AM
take the BD off, take to ford see if they can figure out the problem, THEN get a different tuner (i.e. sct, spartan, etc)

Nail-it
01-10-2010, 09:19 AM
I've got a Spartan 310 w/ cold air intake, and DPF delete pipe, i just took off the 09 6.4 that i'm fixing to trade. i probably used it for 4 or 5k miles. I pd about $2200. will take $1600. It worked great on mine. it went to about 15 mpg, and no more regen. increase in pwer was very good. i only ran it on the 250 setting. it stopped the lag, when you mashed the ex. it was instant response.

dzchey21
01-10-2010, 02:17 PM
cleaning exhaust filter is normal to see, its part of the regen, but if you have a dpf delete it will smoke like crazy. More info would be helpful

greaseltn
02-16-2010, 07:55 AM
If you do the DPF delete it will only smoke if you want it to. If you keep the DPF and don't let it go thru the complete regen cycle, it will just keep going into regen and wasting more fuel.

BTO86
02-16-2010, 05:39 PM
I would say with about any tuner that you will run into this problem. The more soot it's making, the more it will need to regen. A dpf equipped truck should not smoke at all unless there is an internal problem with the dpf. I'm with everybody else, ditch the dpf and it should be a night and day difference. Brian