Air Dog II fuel module upgrade info please.

4x4dually

I'm looking for info on the fuel canister upgrade that supposedly you can guy seperately that is supposed to cure the 1/4 tank issue with high flow fuel pumps. I'd like to see some pictures of the parts so I can tell what they do to cure this problem. Also, does anyone know what an approx fuel consumption rate for a 24V cummins is (idle, 2000RPM, whatever)? The stock canister should be holding about 33in^3 (or somewhere close to that) which since I'm using a 95 gph pump, should hold enough fuel for at least 20 seconds and that isn't including the fuel returned to it by the air line return. If I hit the breakes or turn, I lose pressure everytime once I hit 1/4 tank. I'm tired of it. I don't want to ruin my brand new 95 pgh, my brand new IP, and my brand new Injectors. :D

Any photo graphs or decriptions would be great. I called the 800 number and it said "normal hours are from 8am to 5pm"...what time zone?

The 1/4 tank issue they solved by using the OEM pump assembly as your feed and return. You basically make some changes to it with the provided fittings instead of drilling the tank for a draw straw. Don't have a picture but, if I remember right it can be a retro fit on a existing system and is about $65...don't qoute me on that

The main thing with the 1/4 tank issue is the instructions used to or may still say to cut the straw with a angle on the end. I opted not to do that and curved the straw towards the deep end of the tank. I can run my truck down to fumes without a problem.

I cant put the pics up from this computer. But go to their site and download the catalog, page 18 of the catalog has the info on this mod. We have plenty of them in stock if you need one.

Chuck
New Era Diesel
740-297-4281

Untitled-1.jpg

O. I searched the online catalog and didn't see that photo. I thought I was computer literate. LOL

My main concern is, I gots me an '02. I don't have a intake pump or a module that looks anything like that one. So, I'd have to find a newer model module then retro fit the kit onto it? And with the added 1/2" hole in the module, that kinda kills the "reserve" in the module doesn't it? If I put a draw straw in my reserver cavity and draw fuel from it, it will always be low...at least I tried a straw in it and it failed. Then I moded it to draw from the bottom but it doens't seem like my reserve drains into it now. AND if I upgrade to a newer model module, is the fuel level sender the same resistance for my computer to read correctly? Dangit...I hate the 'not knowing'. :D

This is what I did....and 1/4 tank is a problem.

Fuel Tank Module Mods for FASS Install - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

O. I searched the online catalog and didn't see that photo. I thought I was computer literate. LOL

My main concern is, I gots me an '02. I don't have a intake pump or a module that looks anything like that one. So, I'd have to find a newer model module then retro fit the kit onto it? And with the added 1/2" hole in the module, that kinda kills the "reserve" in the module doesn't it? If I put a draw straw in my reserver cavity and draw fuel from it, it will always be low...at least I tried a straw in it and it failed. Then I moded it to draw from the bottom but it doens't seem like my reserve drains into it now. AND if I upgrade to a newer model module, is the fuel level sender the same resistance for my computer to read correctly? Dangit...I hate the 'not knowing'. :D

This is what I did....and 1/4 tank is a problem.

Fuel Tank Module Mods for FASS Install - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

maybe this is your fix........

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44715

I've looked at that but they have no reserve either. Slam the brakes, all fuel goes forward..what keeps them from sucking air? Everyone swears by them but the eng in me says..."HOW?".

Jory, I believe you are over analyzing the situation at hand...or you have some radical driving habits. LOL I've installed the AirDog kit...(I hit all that in a previous thread).
I have a sump on my '04 and have no issues with running out of fuel unless the fuel level is 1/8th tank or less...there is no problem running lower than 1/8th tank, you just need to drive accordingly.

Yes, LReiff, I'm an engineer. LOL I'm licensed to over analyze everything. My wife loves it when I get out a tape measure and level to hang a picture. :D

So, I have to get an '03 and up fuel module to put the Airdog kit on, correct? I don't have one. That is my major question.

No, you dont have to use a newer style canister. My 2000 doesn't have the intank pump and i just put one in it this summer. Works great.

4x4dually, I'm running a Airdog II 165 gph with their fuel canister set up. I can run tank down to the point that I'm almost totally out of fuel maybe a gallon or so left. No problems what so ever, fuel pressure never drops.

I'm also running an AD165II with the basket mod. Works good now (do yourself a favor and double hose clamp everything inside the module and on the suction side of the pump). You can run the tank down very low with no issues. DDP also advertises a modified fuel basket for sale.

I think I may have a solution but the ice storm ruined my test date. As soon as this new tank of fuel gets low, I'll drop the tank and test it. It appears that the pump sucks dry because the reserve fuel can't get out of the reserve fast enough and down into the low part of the module. I pulled the valve clear out of it so the hole is .500" and filled it with fuel (old module in the shop). Then I picked it up and let it drain. It drains for almost 25 seconds with no suction. That is neglecting the draw of the pump and the return of the extra fuel. So, I plan on pulling the module out and putting it in a small tub of fuel so I can watch what it does. I'll play with it and find a solution.

I know I've gone to greater lengths than others to figure this out when most just drop the $$$ and put parts in. In the end, if I figure out how to make it work, I'll have about $15 in junk in there total.

I added this to my link above. $$$ = 0.00. Glad I didn't buy anything.

1/4 tank issue CURED! In this picture, take the little center piece out of the valve so you have a about a .375 diameter hole down into the bottom cavity. This allows the reservior to drain fast enough for the pump not to draw air. Leave the outter ring and spring in.

IMG_1483800x600.jpg

I ran the truck out of a 5 gallon bucket last night. The resevoir would fill up while idling and run over the top. I could lift the whole dang thing out of the bucket and run the truck for at least 60 seconds and still had some fuel left in it after that, but I dropped it back all three times. When I removed the whole valve, spring and all, the opening is about .500 diameter. This allows the fuel to drain fast enough that when the module is in fuel, it will only stay full to about 2 inches from the top and never attain a full reserve. That is why I had to leave the outter ring part in it.

I drove the truck down to vapor this morning and hit corners hard. NO drop in pressure. Daddy is happy again....and it cost me NOTHING.

Back