PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a 6"lift, any install suggestions?

bigcountry250
03-01-2007, 08:17 PM
I just got a 6" lift from Rough Country off of ebay, then I called Rough country and bought the front brake line extension and a rear add a leaf so the rear wont sag at all. Has anyone installed this lift or any other and have any install suggestions or little tricks that I should know? My buddy has a shop with lifts and air tools and everything that I needto install it. Any suggestions?

Betaracer
03-01-2007, 11:55 PM
Spray all the nuts and bolts with penetrating oil well in advance.

Start with the front since there are more pieces and it takes longer.

bigcountry250
03-02-2007, 01:09 AM
Thats a good idea thanks man! Anyone else got any suggestions?

dieselex
03-02-2007, 07:00 AM
Spray all the nuts and bolts with penetrating oil well in advance.

Start with the front since there are more pieces and it takes longer.

Listen to Beta!! He knows what he is talking about!!:D

Also, however long you think it will take give yourself an extra half a day or so!!:hehe: (That might just be me!!:doh: )

Ben

bigcountry250
03-02-2007, 11:14 AM
Listen to Beta!! He knows what he is talking about!!:D

Also, however long you think it will take give yourself an extra half a day or so!!:hehe: (That might just be me!!:doh: )

Ben

LOL yea really, when I put the lift on my old truck it took twice as long as I thought it would!

fordtk12
03-02-2007, 03:35 PM
It really shouldn't be all that hard just don't let it get the best of ya. My biggest problem is getting mad and then makin more headaches for myself.

npen
03-02-2007, 04:31 PM
I have installed and uninstalled a 6" tuff country lift which is similar. Make sure your C-Clamps are on the springs before you take the center pin out! And have extra c-clamps incase you need to move one. Have some lock-tite handy. I like to do this stuff on days Ford is open, when taking my drag link off, I ripped the rubber boot on the joint, was able to drive down to Ford and pick a new one up, and continued the work. Take your time, and it goes smooth.

bigcountry250
03-02-2007, 07:01 PM
I'm not to clear on what you all are talking about putting a C clamp on the Spring?

dieselex
03-02-2007, 07:27 PM
I think npen means when you take the spring pack off make sure you clamp the pack together with the c-clamps before you take the center pin out. That way the whole spring pack doesn't come apart.

I've been wrong in the past so don't quote me on that!!LOL

npen
03-02-2007, 07:34 PM
Yeah, I ment use a C-Clamp on the spring pack when you take the center pin out. Keeps the leafs from falling apart, and flying anywhere. You will have to do that on the rear if you are doing an add-a-leaf. The instructions should say this, but you never know. I forgot the clamps once when changing a lift out in a hurry....it wasn't fun.

kasey200
03-02-2007, 08:14 PM
it may be overkill but some people will clean all of the nuts and bolts with brake cleaner before re-assembly do get any oil or debris off of them so they stay good and tight.

bigcountry250
03-03-2007, 02:03 AM
Ok I understand now, thats for the add a leaf, I won't have to do that for the front because its comes with an entire new set of springs.

npen
03-03-2007, 02:14 AM
Ok I understand now, thats for the add a leaf, I won't have to do that for the front because its comes with an entire new set of springs.

You got it!:)