PDA

View Full Version : Manual brkae conversion

Dalpilot
02-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Well some guys do it to save weight, and some to have "Normal" brakes in case of an engine failure on boosted brakes, (which give you less than manual brakes at that time.) I did a lot of research, and it turns out one of the best systems to use is out of a 1981 Dodge d-150 truck. The Wilwood, aerospace components, and strange MC sold on Jegs, or summit, are EXACTLY the same MC, only about 100.00 compared to 35 at an autoparts store. Remember, a boosted system has a pedal ratio of roughly 4:1, and a non boosted manual brake system needs about 6 to 7:1. That means for every 100 pounds of force you apply to the pedal, 700 is applied to the calipers.

You get the ratio by measuring the length from the pedal pivot point to the end of the pedal, and dividing by the distance from the pivot point to where the brake rod connects. To change that ratio, you have to raise up the rod connection point towards the pivot point, or lengthen the pedal. I raised up the connecting point.

There is also changes you can make to the clamping force by changing the bore diameter of the MC.

Just some stuff I learned, hope it helps someone.