PDA

View Full Version : Windage tray?

Farmallgray
02-07-2010, 07:34 PM
I saw the discussion above about the crankcase vents.

Is anyone running a windage tray and/or a crank scraper?

They are pretty common on high output gas burners.

kalder
02-07-2010, 08:36 PM
I don't think anyone is turning enough RPMs to warrant them. Though I could be wrong.

TOMTOM
02-07-2010, 10:55 PM
Deal me=IN
TOMMY

seeker1056
02-08-2010, 04:08 PM
if you look at the Cummins girdle, it is almost a windage tray, and wouldnt take much to make it into one.
5000 rpm is more than enough rpm to justify a crank scraper and a windage tray if it gains you a few basically free hp

Begle1
02-08-2010, 04:37 PM
What would somebody have to do to the OEM "girdle"/ stiffener plate to turn it into a windage tray?

I've imagined that's what it was really designed for rather than structural support... It's made of sheet metal, isn't it?

mondtster
02-08-2010, 06:39 PM
Got pics of what you're talking about? Maybe a part number?

Farmallgray
02-08-2010, 07:09 PM
I'm working on a 3cyl Kubota so I'm on my own. Shouldn't be too hard to make. I'm planning on turning 5-6000 rpms so I think it will be worthwhile.

As for the Cummins girdle, I think I saw one in the for sale section. It has holes in it for the rods. looked like it was pretty light gauge material.

One important factor is to make sure the oil coming from the top end can get through or around the windage tray or it defeats the purpose. I need to study designs that are out there. Might have to build a small louver punch for it too.

mondtster
02-08-2010, 08:02 PM
As for the Cummins girdle, I think I saw one in the for sale section. It has holes in it for the rods. looked like it was pretty light gauge material.

Doesn't seem like it would be of much benefit as a windage tray if it had holes for the rods to go through, but I'd like to see pics before I decide what I think about it.

Although not directly related, there is some info about oil pan design and windage trays in some of the Mopar Performance publications. IIRC, their suggestion is to run a windage tray in any pan that does not meet their design criteria. The way I interpret this, I would think that a Cummins would benefit from one.

RyanB
02-08-2010, 08:26 PM
I think the major issue with making a true crank scraper on our motors is that the skirt is really really deep compared to your average gas engine. Our main caps are so high that all you are going to do is get a bit of a hole for the crank and rods to go thru...nut much of a spot to make the normal looking scraper like other engines. If you look at this pic of when Van Haisley was building my motor you can get a better idea of what Im talking about.

RyanB

mondtster
02-08-2010, 08:58 PM
A crank scraper is not the same as a windage tray, and that pic is nowhere near what I'm talking about.

seeker1056
02-08-2010, 09:23 PM
the idea of a windage tray is to seperate the hurricane around the crank, from the oil in the pan.
It would take very little to fabricate and weld soem one way baffles over the openings in the girdle.
Crank scrapers do not have to be mounted up beside the crank at the 9 oclock position to work , and would most likely do a better job located lower as in as part of the girdle assembly at about the 7 oclock position- not unlike the way a dry sump pan/scraper/windage screen is made