PDA

View Full Version : dynamic timing

nick b
02-09-2010, 08:24 PM
can we talk about some dynamic timing? i cant find much on how its done. its something i want to learn how to do. i know you need the snapon tool to pickup a signal but what do you read off the balencer? and im sure there is alot to this i dont know

hesutton
02-10-2010, 01:03 PM
You need special tools to do it. I just got the SnapOn MT1480 meter to do it myself. There is a port by the crank pulley that you place a probe into. You also place a pulse clamp on the #1 injection line. With the engine warm (cold timing advance off) rev it to 2000 rpm. The timing per ford should be 8.5 degrees before top dead center + or - 2 degrees.

Turn the IP to the passenger's side to advance the timing and to the driver's side to retard the timing. The IP's tend to become a bit retarded in timing as they wear.

I've had my truck timed before at the IDI rally's by Mel Agne. He does about a dozen or so trucks every rally for free. I'll have my meter at this years rally as well. If you can make it, you can have it timed for free.

Most shops don't have the equipment to time these IDI's and if they do, they don't know how to use them.

Heath

nick b
02-10-2010, 06:14 PM
okay what is the part that is screwed on the the number 1 injector between the line and injector is that where you get the signal?

hesutton
02-11-2010, 09:58 AM
Some 7.3 IDI's (later models) have a timing adaptor on the #1 line. This is used with the Ford Rotunda timing meter. Other meters can be used if they have a pulse adaptor for the injection line. It is placed on the line above the factory adaptor. Most if not all 6.9's don't have that factory adaptor.

Heath

nick b
02-11-2010, 08:57 PM
okay its a 93 7.3 so that would be why its there i guess thanks for the help