Need more air!!! Go with twins or upgrade the ole' 64 to a 66???

oldsmokey97

I am at the point where i need more air......

I can peg the pyro in fourth gear if i stay in it and the smoke doesnt get close to clearing!!!!

What i am asking is..... should i build a set of twin using my 64/14 or get the 64 upgraded to a 66mm????

I would really like to go with twins but i am wondering what turbo to use as a secondary with the 64/14!!......

Either way.... i need to do something.

Lance

huh..... i guess i farted in here before i left yesterday because no body has been in here yet!!

HELLO???

whatchall think??

Lance

I'd build twins. You will prolly run out of air with the 66 if you keep going at this rate :woohoo:

Dude- :evil call Shane at Industrial Injection, he is the master of air support!:bow:

"The Phat Shaft Twins for the Cummins 5.9L are offered in two different kits, towing twins and racing twins. Phat Shaft towing twins are built with a Phat Shaft 62 as the primary charger with the K31 as the secondary charger. Both the primary and secondary turbo’s on the towing twins are wastegated for ultimate control of boost and back pressure. This unique combination offers quick spool up and unmatched towing capabilities."

"The Phat Shaft racing twins feature a modified Silver Bullet as the primary turbocharger and a modified Big Brother as the secondary charger. The racing twins are a perfectly matched set of turbo's for over 700hp":ft: :ft: :evil :evil :evil

:thankyou2: :woohoo:

Last edited:
Turbonetics TQ said:
http://Torque-Master.com

What ever your need for air. As well as many combos of wheel and housings to match perfectly to what you need

Nothing pisses me off more then a site that does not give any specifications on what they are trying to sell me.

"Stage 1, stage 2, stage 3" means nothing.

Do they come with free Bank$ Power stickers?

:doh: :what: :doh:

There are different versions of the K31.... Call Shane at Industrial Injection with your specs and he can recommend the version that suits, and give you their price.

It's a pretty decent sized huffer in all configurations.

You can reach Shane @ Industrial's toll free number which is 1-800-955-0476.
(tell em RacinDuallie sent ya!)

I called Shane up at II and asked about my truck what turbo to put on and I told him I drive it every day and the most I pull is my boat at 6000lbs 50mins away to go fishing every so often and I planned on trying to run quick diesel this year at a couple races ,he told me a plain phat shaft 62 now I know that is not going to give me what I need to run 12 in a 1/4 for air. So I'm going htt 64/14 killerb2 or quick diesel 64 unless it is cheaper to go 66 and downgrade if needed but HTT told me that twins are going to go by the way side soon because they don't get the hp that people would like for the $$$ plus they said they got singles that work as good now. That is what I was told any way but I wouldn't call II not after the info Shane told me for my truck that made no since to put a 62 on my truck with the stuff I have on it I still wouldn't burn my fuel.

Hey guys sorry I need to add this read my post and it didn't sound right let me say this I'm not saying Shane doesn't know his stuff just didn't think he gave me the right information for a turbo to bye for what I needed. Shane is supposed to be the man for turbo's.

I run a plain old PS62. My truck weighed in at 8,040 pounds and ran a 13.04 at 103 with no lockup switch.. Everyone tells me a half second can be lost when the switch is added. But, my truck started dumping oil today. When the oil filler cap is off, it looks like a smoke stack in itself.. I do have a whopping 26,000 miles on it. Sucks..

KingS said:
I called Shane up at II and asked about my truck what turbo to put on and I told him I drive it every day and the most I pull is my boat at 6000lbs 50mins away to go fishing every so often and I planned on trying to run quick diesel this year at a couple races ,he told me a plain phat shaft 62 now I know that is not going to give me what I need to run 12 in a 1/4 for air. So I'm going htt 64/14 killerb2 or quick diesel 64 unless it is cheaper to go 66 and downgrade if needed but HTT told me that twins are going to go by the way side soon because they don't get the hp that people would like for the $$$ plus they said they got singles that work as good now. That is what I was told any way but I wouldn't call II not after the info Shane told me for my truck that made no since to put a 62 on my truck with the stuff I have on it I still wouldn't burn my fuel.

Are you saying that a PhatShaft 62/14 'wouldn't' run in the 12's? If yes- then I call :bs: ... I believe you will get a better towing/racing package with the 62/14. Unless you don't mind a bit of lag -then surging when towing. ... otherwise if you are more concerned with racing performance than towing driveability -then yes- go bigger...:evil

form what I have been told by guys raceing is a 62 isn't enough air to run 12.00's with but each truck runs different mine right now pegs 50psi on the stock turbo before I get my foot down and that is with the wastegate working and in stock setting to open at 17-20psi. if I put a boost elbow in it goes close to 65 not sure how high it will go because last time I did this I blew the head gakset and the turbo went out when a got just about to 65psi.

Any way back to oldsmakey's question if you got the money go twins with the s400 on the bottom is good maybe drop the 64 back to a 62 but other then that go twins unless you dont mine the 66 driving on the street which will be laggy for sure till it lights but nice once its spooling.

ok.......... how much total money are we looking at with a 62 on top and an S400 on bottom plus the plumbing???

I know it is about $200 to get an HTT upgraded/downgraded, and the S400 is about $650 but............... how much is plumbing??

will that work for 650+ hp?? 62 on top going into an S400????

Lance

it will definitly push enough HP a 40 and a ht3b is good to 700 and 70psi so you will have plenty of air plumbing is still alittle expensive unless you make up your own.

You can get a set of twins from II without the top charger and using a B2 as the bottom. All you need to do is tell them you're running a basic 64/14 on top and they can take over from there. Won't be to bad on the wallet but will probably sting a little bit.

how much of a sting (cuz from where i live.......... i little stink you can put some good ole tobacco (snuff) on and the other ones are just going to hurt like pisss!!!!)

Lance

oldsmokey97 said:
ok.......... how much total money are we looking at with a 62 on top and an S400 on bottom plus the plumbing???

I know it is about $200 to get an HTT upgraded/downgraded, and the S400 is about $650 but............... how much is plumbing??

will that work for 650+ hp?? 62 on top going into an S400????

Lance

If you use your existing top turbo, you should be able to get a kit for under $3000 (or even less if you want to do more of the finish work), including the S400.

I have an HTT 62/14 on top of a S400, and it dyno'd 634hp. I raced it all last year and even on the hotest days the EGT's maxed out at about 1400*. That's running 65psi of boost. It will support more hp then that, but I was fuel limited, where you of course, aren't.

Year before last, I was running a single turbo a little bigger then you are, and with a lot less fuel then I am running now, I could easily peg the EGT's by half track. At that time I was dynoing 510hp. With the same fuel, when I put on the twins, the hp went from 510hp to 565hp. No other changes other then the twins.

I hope this helps...
Paul

Back