PDA

View Full Version : What is the bore spacing of the 5.9 block?

Moulder
03-21-2010, 02:15 PM
I have only been able to find one place that mentions the bore spacing of a cummins block and it gave a measurement of 6.25. Is that correct? It sounds a little big to me. Also does anyone have the measurements for rod length, piston compression height, wrist pin dia, and cylinder lenght? Also does anyone know of a source of this kind of information for other diesel engines for comparision?

joefarmer
03-21-2010, 04:14 PM
IIRC bore spacing is 120mm. Wrist-pin diameter 40mm.

COMP461
03-21-2010, 06:23 PM
the Bore spacing is 4.750 the pin is 1.570, the compression height is 2.810 for the 5.9 the 6.7 compression height is 2.730 . The rod on both is 7.570

what more do you want to know

Moulder
03-22-2010, 05:11 PM
Ive got a few engines laying around and I'm just getting ideas on which one I want to modify. I would love to make one of them (05 common rail cummins, and 95 7.3 powerstroke) into a big cubic inch engine. The cummins has rear mounted gear train so basicly only the block and head would be reused. If I picked it I would keep it a common rail and maybe use a zeus ecm. I aready have a bosch 8 cylinder p-pump, gear set, and timing cover for the 7.3 motor. I would love to do billet head(s) for either engine. Something along the lines of this:

http://www.cferacing.com/?pid=products&id=H67

I think I have also located an OEM wet sleeve that would let me put run a 4.600 bore in the 7.3. That with a 4.750 stroke would make a nice little motor. A billet head for a common rail Cummins might be a little hard to make, and have nice ports with the internal fuel lines and return. I'm just throwing ideas out there to see what ideas come back. I always thought a diesel moutain motor would be neat. Everyone for the most part always just wants to cram more and more fuel and boost in a stock displacement engine. You would also have to have better flowing heads to take advantage of the extra cubic inches though. I guess one way to look at it is IHRA pro-stock vs. NHRA pro-stock.

COMP461
03-22-2010, 05:54 PM
I would not use a p pump on the 7.3 but use the ECD16 computer off the Dmax,

the block to use is a 6.7 bolck for the bore 4.22 and you can go to a 4.310 bore easly . this allows airflow , but I would not stroke it , you can't feed the engine with the heads now.

Moulder
03-22-2010, 06:35 PM
I had thought about doing a common rail powerstroke but I already have the p-pump stuff. Having the tunability with EFI live would be awesome. It's funny you mention 6.7 because i have one of those as well but it is going in the 550 sometime, and then it's goodbye to the Dodge I have (ive got too many trucks and need to get rid of some stuff). I know there is already one common rail 7.3 in the works. What are the rpm limits with this Duramax ECM?