What's next?

rob05

Hey y'all,

I've got a 2001 Ford Excursion with the 7.3. It currently has the following mods on it and I'm wondering what the next step would be.

- AFE Stage 1 intake
- Banks Exhaust
- Gauges: Pyro, Boost, Trans temp
- ATS turbo housing
- ATS transmission
- Superchips tuner (Soon to be custom 6 pos. chip, just not sure who from.)

Its a daily driver and all around play vehicle. It will soon be lifted on 35s probly so keep that in mind.

I was thinking maybe some injectors or possibly upgrading the turbo to a complete new one? At what point do I need studs or more fuel etc. to support higher hp?

Thanks in advance,

Rob

You've already mentioned getting a new chip as your next mod. I would highly recommend getting some tunes from DP-Tuner. Jody's 80hp econo tune will blow the doors off the highest setting of your Superchips programmer.

As for head studs, you will never need them unless you install a good set of rods. The powder metal rods (PMR's) in your year 7.3L will grenade long before studs are needed. 400rwhp is the about the max power you can put on your rods. With really good custom tuning from DP, you might be able to stretch it a bit further.

So...to have a fast PMR 7.3L you want the following - usually in this order:

1.) Gauges: EGT, Trans Temp, Water Temp, Boost (you've already got these)
2.) Aftermarket Intake (you've got one)
3.) Four-Inch Turbo Back Exhaust (you already have it)
4.) DP-Tuner Multi-Position Chip ( www.dp-tuner.com )
5.) Regulated Return Fuel System ( www.ITPDiesel.com or www.Dieselsite.com)
6.) Upgraded Transmission (you already have one)

With all the above modifications you will be making approx. 315 rwhp

If you want to go bigger, add the following:

7.) Dual High Pressure Oil Pumps ( www.TerminatorEngineering.com )
8.) Turbonetics Turbo or Garrett BB Turbo (www.BlackWidowDiesel.com or www.ITPDiesel.com )
9.) Single-Shot Stage II Injectors (www.BlackWidowDiesel.com or www.ITPDiesel.com )

These mods will put you at the limit of your connecting rods – approx. 420 rwhp. However, they should still keep your truck a reliable daily driver.

Thanks, I've been lurking for awhile. This is my first diesel, drove a Nissan Titan before this and got the X from my dad. He's getting a new Superduty to pull a fiver.

With the mods in my sig I put down 325 hp & 645 tq. Except I had a DP-Tuner chip at the time. I haven't dynoed it again with the Elite chip, but it feels a little stronger in the same setting. I put down those #'s in the 100 hp setting.

Nice. I'll get some pics up sometime in the next couple of days. I don't know exactly what stage or parts are inside the trans. so I'm gonna find that out in the next couple of days too.

I've driven diesels before but this is my first time owning one. Gotta love the smoke and the sound. That turbo whistling is sweeet!!!

Well welcome to the site and welcome to diesels altogether I got the ts 6 position chip and it works awsome way better than the superchips and now the exhaust is on Im lovin it so does the wife so Im good.:Cheer:

Give these guys a call... www.elite-diesel.com

Tadd just did some live tuning on the wifes 01 X last week and the thing runs like a raped ape. Tadd can set you up with a set of injectors, 180cc ish that should put you right at 400hp. He is working on a set for her rig right now.

so whats the difference between a regulated return fuel system and a fuel system like the fass 150? is the stock fuel filter even needed? can it be removed if the fass 150 is used?

Back