PDA

View Full Version : Help out a cummins guy???

Goinbyyabig
04-15-2010, 07:53 AM
I have a friend's 06 dmax dually in the shop, it is completely stock except for a bullydog programmer. No intake or exhaust, stock. It came in yesterday, complains of excessive black smoke, reduced mileage, slight lack of power. I found the air filter plugged, the filter minder in the red, and a code for mass air flow sensor low. I plugged in my scan tool, and the MAF does increase dramatically with RPM, but the thing that concerns me is the MAP sensor. At idle, it was showing 22 PSI, and I assumed this was a problem, so I shut it off and pulled the MAP out, it was full of oil, shook it out, now it reads 14 or 15 at idle or with the engine off. My question is, is this reading absolute pressure (atmosphere) or will it read like a gauge, as a boost gauge would? I assume the excess oil in the charge tube isn't a good thing, going to pull the plumbing off the turbo and have a closer look at where it's coming from. Do you all know what the map should read at zero boost or idle? Thanks, Rob.

BW Motosports
04-15-2010, 09:16 AM
Im not an expert but my lb7's boost guage only reads like 4 thru 7 psi at idel. The oil in the plumbing could mean that oil is getting in to the air stream thru the turbo. Bad bearing or somthing. im shure one of the experts will chime in and correct me soon.:bow:

Diesel Tech
04-15-2010, 09:09 PM
It is an absolute pressure sensor. It reads 3 bar pressure total.

Goinbyyabig
04-17-2010, 07:40 AM
Thanks Diesel Tech!