Dumb Question..

DieselMissy04

Learning!
So I've begun to notice a pattern on my truck-- and I think it's gradually getting worse.

Whenever I'm between 50-60 mph the truck starts shaking-- nothing drastic but definitely noticeable by me. And it's consistent.

Granted
1- I need to rotate my tires.. bout 6k since i last rotated them
2- I probably need to get my front end aligned since I havent done that with the 35's yet..

So I was kinda hoping those 2 would solve my problem.. but I was wonderng if it could be a lil more serious? The only other time I had this problem was on a f150 with 9" and no steering stabilizer [it was bad..]

I feel pretty dumb for asking about this but im broke and dont want to make the matter worse by driving it more than i should without fixing the problem.

I would guess you have a worn out track bar. If so, you'll see the ends have play in them. The frame end on mine is worn enough where I can see the up and down movement in it. Thuren, DT, Fabtech, Luke's Link all have fixes if that's what it is.

brandon.

Brandon, third gens have a different track bar that is less prone to wear. Instead of the ball/socket on the upper end like you have on your rizzy, we have a bolted bushing like the bottom on the 2nd gens on both ends. My bro is gonna opt for a 3rd gen conversion on his '02 to improve his setup when he starts heardin his ride again.

It could be a loose track bar. Make sure the bolts are cranked tight. Do the cheap stuff first. Rotate those tires. If you have a tire shop do it, insist they re-balance them. That may make it better. While its up on jacks, get a 2x4 out and check the balljoints. With the front end lifted put the 2x4 under the tire and pry up and down gently. If you can see excessive play, you may need balljoints. My guess is tires will prob make a big difference, esp if they're cupped at all. Then get it aligned.

Ask the alignment shop to check things out up there for you. Most trustworthy shops will tell you what needs replaced before they align your truck.

Thanks Mr Amish. I remember Lyn replacing his on his '03, but I wasn't there to help. I guess I need to take a gander under his truck and see what you're talking about.

branodn.

Here's a little trick I learned when I was a service advisor......... If the shimmy/shake has a side to side feel it's usually alignment, if it feels up and down it's probably tire rotation.

Could also be a tire with a slipped/broken belt or just a balancing issue.

I had a set of 315 BFGs that went completely out of round in 8000 miles...there was no balancing it out. They started out perfect and slowly got worse.

steved

Back