PDA

View Full Version : flexlite fan

oil-burner
03-31-2007, 12:21 PM
just got some of these in. awesome piece..

Ken in AZ
04-04-2007, 12:31 AM
those look sweet, if I had the cash, I'd be all over them!

Ram12V
04-04-2007, 01:58 AM
how are they? ive heard they dont work too well under certain circumstances....also does it free up that much power n space to justify doin it? thnaks bro o yea where u get em from n how much?

inline6359
04-04-2007, 10:41 AM
From what i heard they are not worth the money and do not flow near as much as the stock fan. That is what i heard but it was from a pretty reputable source.

Signature600
04-04-2007, 11:21 AM
Yes but for a DD/Racing only rig, not heavy towing, they could be the ticket for cooling things down at the track!

I'm looking at them for the 98!
Chris

Ram12V
04-04-2007, 02:18 PM
hey bro let us kno how thye do and if they are worth it...are there ne other fans that are ok to run with towin? i dont tow very much jsut occasinal trailor with atvs etc...

Ram12V
04-04-2007, 02:18 PM
where can i check out the specs on these and the price?

duke1n
04-04-2007, 03:13 PM
So I'm doing something similar using a single pusher mounted on the front of the intercooler and getting rid of stock fan. I found I could drive around with no problems with no fan whatsoever. The only time it got warm would be crawling up my lengthy driveway or sitting in stop and go traffic. Being able to flip on the fan in those circumstances should do the trick. That said how do they figure they free up power. You either drive the fan straight off the engine or you drive the fan off the battery which is charged by driving the alternator straight off the engine. Takes the same power no matter how you get it for the same ~fan. Reminds me of people who think driving an electric car someone uses less energy. They forget that when they plug it in the electricity didn't just grow on a tree and was probably generated from a coal fired steam generator. You can't get something for nothing. If it takes 27hp for the engine to spin the fan then an electric fan will take the same 27hp but will just get it from the battery which is charged by the alternator which will take 27hp to supply the battery that power lol. I should be a freakin Oracle!

Ken in AZ
04-04-2007, 10:12 PM
So I'm doing something similar using a single pusher mounted on the front of the intercooler and getting rid of stock fan. I found I could drive around with no problems with no fan whatsoever. The only time it got warm would be crawling up my lengthy driveway or sitting in stop and go traffic. Being able to flip on the fan in those circumstances should do the trick. That said how do they figure they free up power. You either drive the fan straight off the engine or you drive the fan off the battery which is charged by driving the alternator straight off the engine. Takes the same power no matter how you get it for the same ~fan. Reminds me of people who think driving an electric car someone uses less energy. They forget that when they plug it in the electricity didn't just grow on a tree and was probably generated from a coal fired steam generator. You can't get something for nothing. If it takes 27hp for the engine to spin the fan then an electric fan will take the same 27hp but will just get it from the battery which is charged by the alternator which will take 27hp to supply the battery that power lol. I should be a freakin Oracle!

ummmm....no

doesn't take the same amount of power, At most an alternator can pull from an engine is a few hp at best, i'm talking like 3-5hp max. if you don't believe me ask any diy'er with a homemade TIG welder using a 100amp alternator and a 5hp briggs & stratton setup. they can run them at 100% duty cycle till the gas tank is empty.

if you don't beleive me, find any alternator that takes 27hp to drive, it doesn't exist in any passenger car application on the planet, unless it is seized :hehe:

duke1n
04-04-2007, 11:12 PM
Well duh. So does the oem fan take 27hp to run? When you replace it with an electric that produces the same flow, does it also take 27hp? Think carefully before you answer.

farmboysdiesel
04-05-2007, 01:52 PM
I bought one for the build up this time - gonna see what it's all about.

Ken in AZ
04-05-2007, 11:20 PM
Well duh. So does the oem fan take 27hp to run? When you replace it with an electric that produces the same flow, does it also take 27hp? Think carefully before you answer.

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/262-diesel.html

and are you serious, or you just :poke: me?

Holysmoke
04-11-2007, 09:54 AM
I agree with Ken in AZ. I agree it does take Hp to turn the fan but I dont see how it can draw 27 hp from the alternater. But what do I know I am a plumber.

duke1n
04-11-2007, 10:36 AM
When I was a small boy I thought for some time about an idea I had for a household lighting fixture. This device would have a motor that would turn a generator. The generator would in turn power the motor as well as a light bulb. In essence I invented a device whereby I got something for nothing. I was never able to carry my design to fruition.

gunracer1
04-11-2007, 11:14 AM
Perpetual motion, yup you were the first one to think of that.

now back to the subject at hand, i have been running fanless for about 4 months. i towed a 1 ton dodge van yesterday 42 miles home on my car dolly. the only time it has ever got warm was when i dynoed it, i kind of forgot to drive right out and cool it off.

duke1n
04-11-2007, 11:17 AM
LOL I was 5

I tried going fanless and it was not going to work. If you are on the hwy and moving it was fine. When I crept up my mile long/steep driveway, it got warm pretty fast. My idea is to mount a small pusher on the front and just toggle it on during those rare occasions I'm not moving fast enough to move enough air across the radiator.

SINNER
04-11-2007, 12:43 PM
I think you missed one point on your thesis here dukey. the battery is a STORAGE DEVICE. tha alt keeps the battery charged fully by maintence, hence a slight demand all the time. the engine driven fan has the most drag at max rpms. so in fact you are right about each fan requires the same power,(if you could get two equal comparisons,but i think you would need more electric fans than possible to equal an engine driven fan) but its how that power is derived that makes the difference.

btw. i heard an informal study group found that per mile an electric car produced 3 times the emmisions of a gas powered car. the electric generated
in coal plants is one of the biggest gross polluters in our country.

Holysmoke
04-13-2007, 08:45 AM
I have been fan less for 5 months also the only time my truck gets warm is when its sit or idles for over 10-15 min. I would like to have a pusher fan on a toogle also like at the track to cool it down or even shut off the truck and leave the fan on.

duke1n
04-13-2007, 09:14 AM
I think you missed one point on your thesis here dukey. the battery is a STORAGE DEVICE. tha alt keeps the battery charged fully by maintence, hence a slight demand all the time. the engine driven fan has the most drag at max rpms. so in fact you are right about each fan requires the same power,(if you could get two equal comparisons,but i think you would need more electric fans than possible to equal an engine driven fan) but its how that power is derived that makes the difference.

btw. i heard an informal study group found that per mile an electric car produced 3 times the emmisions of a gas powered car. the electric generated
in coal plants is one of the biggest gross polluters in our country.Nah I didn't miss anything. Both fans are engine driven and both derive their energy from the engine. The stock fan derives it's energy via the belt which is driven off the crankshaft. The electric fan derives it's energy via the belt which drives the alternator which produces energy which is stored in the battery and drawn by the fan. If anything there is more energy loss doing it that way than direct belt drive. The only difference would be that the electric manages it energy usage by turning on and off and the belt driven manages it's usage via the fan clutch and turning faster or slower depending on rpms. In the end if they move the same amount of air, they use the same energy to do so and probably a little more if it's done via an electric fan.

Ken in AZ
04-13-2007, 09:34 PM
We could go back and forth on this subject all day. No one can prove anything until they provide hard evidence.

duke1n, do you have any evidence of your theory that an engine driven fan is more efficient than this electric fan setup?

I have posted my proof from flexalite's webpage that they are, still that doesn't mean squat until one of us gets on a dyno and provides video proof.

Until then I will go with Flexalite on this one. For some strange reason I believe them when they say these electric fans are more efficient in regards to energy draw/cfm ratio as compared to the engine driven unit. Now are they more reliable???? Doubt it, and I feel that is the only reason you will find engine driven fans on passenger vehicles, especially on trucks from 1/2 ton to heavy duty.

Have a good day!

duke1n
04-13-2007, 09:39 PM
Cool, do you have #s with your current setup to compare with? Let us know how it compares. Shut it off on a run that's the # I'm really interested in.