PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience welding on a stock 12v exhaust manifold?

mondtster
06-19-2010, 01:21 PM
I've got a project I'm working on that will require welding a steel flange on a stock 12v manifold. Anyone know what the manifolds are made of? What welding process did you use?

I have gas, stick, mig, and tig machines available for the job, I just want to do it right the first time instead of having the weld crack and the flange fall off.

Thoughts?

RCP Diesel
06-19-2010, 01:29 PM
welding mild steel to cast is fairly simple. (nothing like attempting to repair cracked cast)

I welded a t4 flange on a stock manifold, TIG root with stainless filler, 3 pass vertical up MIG, didn't leak or crack in the time I had it.

mondtster
06-19-2010, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the input. That is similar to the the path I was headed down after consulting with a few friends who weld for a living. None of us have welded on a Cummins manifold though so it is nice to hear what has worked for others who have done it.

Anyone else?

jedeka
06-19-2010, 10:35 PM
I have welded some unused holes in some Pontiac V-8 manifolds a few years back. I used what is called Super Rod. I think it has some nickel in the rod. Welds good on cast and can use when welding two different types of metal together.

XLR8R
06-19-2010, 11:47 PM
Preheat & use high-nickel rod with your TIG - knock the flux off of stick version if needed.

Also, 316SS works great in a pinch.

nilsson
07-05-2010, 02:57 PM
welding mild steel to cast is fairly simple. (nothing like attempting to repair cracked cast)

I welded a t4 flange on a stock manifold, TIG root with stainless filler, 3 pass vertical up MIG, didn't leak or crack in the time I had it.

What wire in the mig? Mig weld just to build material or?
Thanks
Nilsson

JFlagg
07-05-2010, 09:46 PM
If you have a forge at your disposal, the best method is to heat the whole manifold till its red, them weld with a high nickel rod. Then reheat then let cool as slowly as possible.

SuperiorRam
07-10-2010, 10:39 PM
Inconel rod is best but expensive jflagG is completely right about post heating but red hot to start is a touch excissive

JFlagg
07-10-2010, 10:54 PM
Inconel rod is best but expensive jflagG is completely right about post heating but red hot to start is a touch excissive

I was just posting the ideal method... red hot is best, but anything is better than nothing. Hell, even in an oven to 400-450* is better than room temp.

SuperiorRam
07-10-2010, 11:00 PM
Sorry I blew up

JFlagg
07-10-2010, 11:24 PM
Sorry I blew up

You did? :hehe: I'd hate to see you calm....

"someone check for a pulse!" LOL

ecenur
10-23-2010, 07:53 PM
I've got a project I'm working on that will require welding a steel flange on a stock 12v manifold. Anyone know what the manifolds are made of? What welding process did you use?

I have gas, stick, mig, and tig machines available for the job, I just want to do it right the first time instead of having the weld crack and the flange fall off.

Thoughts?

I would go with mig because, mig welding works best with thicker metals so in this case steel. Tig is better for thinner metals.

stlcummins
10-24-2010, 02:09 PM
riiiiiight, don't do much steam pipe welding does he.

seriousdiesel
10-25-2010, 09:31 AM
I just bought a roll of wire for the mig to weld cast. not sure how well it will hold up but it welds nice. they were really proud of it at $55 for a tiny 1 lb spool.

gunracer1
10-25-2010, 11:22 AM
I would go with mig because, mig welding works best with thicker metals so in this case steel. Tig is better for thinner metals.

i have tig welded 1" thick steel, mig would be my very last method. tig with a high nickle rod, would be my first choice, stick next and mig would be only a last resort. preheat for all types and cool them slowly. there is my 2 cents.

ecenur
10-26-2010, 12:48 PM
Is it 316 stainless wire?

Seems like it is 316

gwhammy
10-26-2010, 03:42 PM
I welded a wastegate pipe to a 12 valve manifold with a mig and regular wire. Never did crack. Guess I just got lucky.

Big Blue24
10-26-2010, 04:02 PM
i have tig welded 1" thick steel, mig would be my very last method. tig with a high nickle rod, would be my first choice, stick next and mig would be only a last resort. preheat for all types and cool them slowly. there is my 2 cents.

Acetylene gas torch welding would probably be the the last resort, unless you could find a fancy brazing rod that would hold up to the heat, I don't think the typical 1600*F stuff would hold up that well.

BanjoDiesel
10-27-2010, 09:53 AM
If its a manifold bury it in the kids sand box for a couple hours; works well and allows a slow cool off period....
I have also let it cool in a pile of hot ashes..either one works great.

gunracer1
10-27-2010, 11:06 AM
Acetylene gas torch welding would probably be the the last resort, unless you could find a fancy brazing rod that would hold up to the heat, I don't think the typical 1600*F stuff would hold up that well.

many a old 6 cylinders used a home made split manifold with a chunk of muffler tubing brazed on to it for the dual exhaust.

jjrightmire1973
10-29-2010, 02:53 PM
SMAW- NI 99 rod or beat the flux off the rod and tig it

seriousdiesel
10-30-2010, 09:05 PM
Is it 316 stainless wire?
Knocking the flux off a stick Ni Rod and using the Tig process works pretty good. If you dont have a Tig just run that Ni rod in you cracker box arc welder, it also does a nice job just not as precise and pretty. As already said; preheat and cool slowly. If its a manifold bury it in the kids sand box for a couple hours; works well and allows a slow cool off period....$.02

McMaster-Carr (http://www.mcmaster.com/#ni-55-cast-iron-welding-wire/=9ia8fh)

about halfway down ni 55 wire for cast.

rbmedic75
10-30-2010, 10:43 PM
your best methods have been listed here just thought I would reiterate them

PREHEAT is very important, I would tig with Ti and either wrap it if you have a blanket to slow the cooling down as much as you can. to prevent cracks preheat and slow cooling are the most important steps.

ecenur
11-02-2010, 04:25 PM
I think it depends on the way the waste gate pipe was welded with a mig, they way you welded it probably had something to do with the fact that it did not crack however, in most cases it will crack but then again I think everyone should give it a try maybe they will also get lucky like you and see where it gets them.