PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on my rear suspension setup

stimo
07-03-2010, 07:16 PM
I've been messing around lowering my rear. I was driving around with just stock leaf spring and a add a leaf in there also with no blocks. The box has been gutted to just box sides and tailgate shell with tonneau cover. Just enough of the box to make it look normal. With that setup and stock shocks it was way to stiff and rode like a lumber wagon. I also had a long set of traction bars. Today I tinkered with it again and my new setup now is just running the add a leaf and the main leaf spring. I also installed Rancho 9000 shocks that are for a 2wd so they are shorter for the lowering I did. I also have purchased some cal tracs but did not get them on in time. My one concern is how strong is the main leaf spring because it does seem slightly weak but maybe its just fine I dont know. I'm also starting off with shocks all the way stiff. I probably really need to get the traction bars on to really tell how its going to work but who knows. I just curious what people think in case something does not sound like its going to work.

One other thing if anyone knows is in the cal tracs system it looks as if I need to remove the front rubber bushing from the leaf springs and install a aluminum bushing. Is this correct? I have not looked into it completely but I'm sure I'll figure it out. If so what would be the best way to remove it since I have never done it before. My thoughts so far is either to torch them out which I'm not to sure about or to put into press and be able to press it out. Whats the best removal method?