PDA

View Full Version : engine stand

redneckroot
07-11-2010, 11:21 PM
Does anyone have pictures of engine stands that they use when building a cummins? I'd like to make myself one for my next build, make my life easier.
Thanks

seeker1056
07-12-2010, 09:21 AM
There was a thread on here a long time ago about this

Most do as we did - they fab a plate that uses the motormount boss as the mounting point for the motor - which then mounts sideways on the engine stand

Idaho CTD
07-12-2010, 12:34 PM
The one I just built has plates and schedule 40 pipe out each side of the motor. Then I built a square base with casters (make sure it is high enough to go over the hoist legs. I had to space the caster off of the frame). Then I built 1.5 x 3" uprights with 1/2 pipes on the top. The frame is made of 1.5" square tubing. I pinned the schedule 40 to keep it from rolling and welded a 3' section of 1x1 to the end of one of the schedule 40 pipes to spin the motor. It's supported on both sides this way and solid.

Signature600
07-12-2010, 12:53 PM
The one I just built has plates and schedule 40 pipe out each side of the motor. Then I built a square base with casters (make sure it is high enough to go over the hoist legs. I had to space the caster off of the frame). Then I built 1.5 x 3" uprights with 1/2 pipes on the top. The frame is made of 1.5" square tubing. I pinned the schedule 40 to keep it from rolling and welded a 3' section of 1x1 to the end of one of the schedule 40 pipes to spin the motor. It's supported on both sides this way and solid.

I just bought something very similar to that from OTC...we've been building engines for 25 years around here without a stand, now I finally got the boss (Dad) to let me buy one. My reason was perfect...everyone's getting too old to man handle motors like we have been:D:D

This one:

http://www.otctools.com/newcatalog/products/1735A_5202.jpg

Chris

Lower
07-12-2010, 08:52 PM
Thats a nice piece there.

03f3507.3
07-12-2010, 09:05 PM
harbor frieght cant support the weight lol
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y32/f22pwrdaccord/photo-3.jpg

4x4's work nice lol
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y32/f22pwrdaccord
/photo5-2.jpg

since then ive purchased one simliar to what Chris posted!

redneckroot
07-12-2010, 09:57 PM
the otc stands are nice looking but i'd rather build one myself and put the money in the motor lol Keep the pictures coming good ideas

Signature600
07-13-2010, 09:07 AM
I said the same thing, but in the end, I just don't have the time, and couldn't find a rotator that I trusted.

I know the OTC will work, and it will be here in a few days, instead of me trying to find time to build it.

Bt still, keep the pics coming guys...I wanna see more stands too:D
Chris

impmouse
07-13-2010, 11:53 AM
the one i have ,, just made a plate

morkable
07-13-2010, 01:45 PM
Chris, how much was that unit worth?

Signature600
07-13-2010, 01:47 PM
Approx $1250 from my supplier....2K lb rated

Like I said before, I went for easy this time...I know I could do it cheaper, but don't have the time for a while
Chris

SPEEDSHIFT
07-13-2010, 02:04 PM
I just use a HF stand with a modified plate for the side mount.

GM Duraturd
07-13-2010, 06:04 PM
We just made one, I will take some pictures tomorrow hopefully

Idaho CTD
07-13-2010, 07:39 PM
I actually built one from the HF 1000 or 1200lb stand kind of like the one I explained earlier. I added another side to it and cut their top turbe off to make it straight. I have a Dmax motor on it. I even built a catch pan under it.

redneckroot
07-13-2010, 10:38 PM
Keep the ideas coming guys, any of you with them after you bought or built them anything that you would change about the design so I don't make the same mistake? How hard are yours to rotate?

jedeka
07-13-2010, 10:41 PM
There is a place in Greensburg, IN that makes engine stands for John Deere big and small block engines. You can get an adapter from him that allows an IH DT466 engine to be mounted. I would think he can make an adapter for the Cummins engines. The place is called K&S Farm Machine Shop. The phone number is 812-663-8567. He can send you pics of his stand. There is a dolly that can be overcentered on one end, which helps move the heavy engines around the shop floor. The stand has a crank that drives a gear reduction box and makes it easy to rotate an engine. I do not remember the price, but neighbor bought one for his repair shop and really likes it.

Idaho CTD
07-13-2010, 11:05 PM
I should have built bigger plates and centered the tubes on the block instead of the motor mounts for the cummins. It's too top heavy the way I did it. I'll redo it when I get the current motor off of it. The one I did for the Duramax motor using the Harbor Freight stand is easy for one person to turn. The only nice thing about the hand crank is the ability to turn the motor at odd angles. I have less than 100.00 in each stand though.

SPEEDSHIFT
07-14-2010, 09:25 AM
Keep the ideas coming guys, any of you with them after you bought or built them anything that you would change about the design so I don't make the same mistake? How hard are yours to rotate?

I weigh 250lbs and I have a hard time rotating a complete short block on my HF side mount stand. I actually have to grab the motor, if you try to use just the handle, it bends pretty easy. LOL

JDGnut
08-06-2010, 11:06 PM
To add a question to the thread.. Will the single side motor mounts on the Cummins be strong enough to build the entire engine on the stand?? (pan to turbos/pump) My stand can easily handle the weight.. I think my current brackets will line up with the mounts.. My other option is to go to the back and build and build a frame work where the adapter (to bellhousing) would attach.. (that would be better because it would be easier to work around..)
Thanks,
Bryan

jupton
08-08-2010, 01:18 PM
I built a stand that is basically a bigger version of your standard universal engine stand. Used 4x4 x 1/4 HSS for the frame and a pc of 2 7/16 shafting and some 1" plate for the head. Its a bit overkill but i was getting sick of screwing around with little stands when building big diesel engines. This one supports the weight no problem and you can bolt everything on because it mounts from the back. Let me know if you want me to snap some pics

JDGnut
08-08-2010, 03:07 PM
Jupton.. That's kind of my thought of building a bracket for the back of the block.. Right now the short block is just sitting on a homemade engine stand.. but it doesn't want much more than just the short block.. I have a stand kind of like the one Chris (Signature600) posted.. (but bigger.)
Just need the time to build the mount..
Bryan

morkable
09-08-2010, 11:39 AM
what happens if you just mount the engine on normally to a engine stand,, is it a big problem?

GOT-Torque
09-08-2010, 01:07 PM
depending on the strength of your stand, the block itself can be okay. Put a complete engine on one and you are taking a risk.

Just alot of weight hanging all the way out there.

DieselBulldog10
09-08-2010, 01:10 PM
I bought a harbor freight 1 ton rotating stand and my engine has been sitting in that thing for over 6 months now unfortunately. The stand is $100.00 roughly.

morkable
09-08-2010, 04:58 PM
ahh, gotcha.. I guess I will find out.. try it out, I did buy the heavier duty one

asauer
09-08-2010, 06:45 PM
I bought a 2000lb stand from "China Freight" - have my 12V hanging off the bellhousing adapter holes, fully dressed. I trust it, but only in a static position. If you were shoving up and down on the unsupported end, I bet you could cause it to fall off.

SCarty
09-11-2010, 11:39 PM
I weigh 250lbs and I have a hard time rotating a complete short block on my HF side mount stand. I actually have to grab the motor, if you try to use just the handle, it bends pretty easy. LOL

haha yea same deal with mee too, habor frieght stand and i put a complete motor together once and had too put a wheel wieght on back of stand to keep it from being tipsy....wont do that again,now just pretty much just put head on and thats enough! lol