PDA

View Full Version : full counter wieght cranks

bdp
07-16-2010, 09:09 AM
Would like to learn more about them. Like is every wieght done or just some of them? What material is used to do it? I assume its all welded together?

RPMS in the hooker have brought about other issues beyond what a stock crank can bear.

dwitt0187
07-16-2010, 09:16 AM
ryan how about using a custom built billet crank there is shop here in ky that can build them.

Danny

getblown5.9
07-16-2010, 09:19 AM
here is some info on it...

Weighted cranks - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75560&highlight=weighted+crank)

Adding weight to the crank - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23031&highlight=welded+crank)

bdp
07-16-2010, 10:47 AM
MMM, billett sounds sexy. You know how much he gets on one of those?

SPEAKSUP
07-16-2010, 02:57 PM
MMM, billett sounds sexy. You know how much he gets on one of those?

More then the hooker is worth:hehe:

No they are expensive I saw what is was to custom build one and it was nuts.

Illinois Crank has some cranks that are weighted and made out of better material. I believe theres a couple of Mod guy's running them.

JFlagg
07-17-2010, 02:15 PM
I think IL crank did Dale's weighted crank he got for the 2wd Mod he built... Heard good stuff about them.

SPEAKSUP
07-17-2010, 02:27 PM
Yeah I have heard he makes CGI Crank's also. I am not for sure. Something would have to lookk into.

jlibert
07-17-2010, 02:40 PM
Would like to learn more about them. Like is every wieght done or just some of them? What material is used to do it? I assume its all welded together?

RPMS in the hooker have brought about other issues beyond what a stock crank can bear.

have you talked to Erick Brown?

Joesixpack
07-17-2010, 02:47 PM

:Throwup:.........somehow I imagine breaking a crank is a lot less fun than it sounds.

bdp
07-18-2010, 08:58 AM
Didn't break the crank with rpms, broke a crank on my other truck. Rpms is making the crank like a wet noodle and taking out bearings, wiieghted crank is supposed to fix that.

coope3
07-19-2010, 01:11 PM
Bean, Didn't Scott at Destroked have some 6.7 cranks custom built?

bdp
07-19-2010, 01:42 PM
$$YES$$$

GOT-Torque
07-19-2010, 03:36 PM
you forgot another $...

I assume the rotating assembly is/was balanced in the hooker? Main clearances?

bdp
07-19-2010, 03:38 PM
Balanced to 6500 but not enough when crank acts like a wet noodle at that rpm.

coope3
07-19-2010, 03:57 PM
So, do you have the bottom end apart or is she still running.

bdp
07-19-2010, 04:38 PM
Its apart right now, hope to go back together in a week or so and just keep rpms down for now till I get a better plan on the crank.

j-rod
07-21-2010, 04:42 PM
Didn't break the crank with rpms, broke a crank on my other truck. Rpms is making the crank like a wet noodle and taking out bearings, wiieghted crank is supposed to fix that.

A girdle would help also (assuming you don't have one already).

SPEAKSUP
07-21-2010, 08:48 PM
I say make a full girdle like Swamps did for the 7.3 that ties into the mains. You know that would also sell good Bean's.

Tony R
07-25-2010, 09:56 PM
Wonder which style would be better? Fully or partially counterweighted

2000wvdodge
08-12-2010, 10:29 PM
Balanced to 6500 but not enough when crank acts like a wet noodle at that rpm.

dumb question, but i figure ill ask anyway, you did have the machine shop balance all the weights on pistion/wrist pin/rod combinations right? i have seen people in the past that have skipped this step or theyre machine shop didnt get the tolerances close enough and it still threw the motor out of balance. we have 3 trucks turning 5 at the line and at least 42-4500 down the track with with one turning 5-5500rpms and they all have stock components and havent had any trouble granted one of those has arias pistons and hardended rods (which has nothign to do with balance). i would try to find out from the machine shop how far out it was at 6500 before spending a small fourtune in a crank. also wouldnt be a bad idea to check into how far out the rods were, i know our machine shop keeps track of all that in theyre system that we can call back and get record of it down the road if we need to. most of the time the crank is already pretty close, its the rest of the rotating assembly that is generally most out of balance.

DIESEL_POWER
08-13-2010, 07:36 AM
dumb question, but i figure ill ask anyway, you did have the machine shop balance all the weights on pistion/wrist pin/rod combinations right? i have seen people in the past that have skipped this step or theyre machine shop didnt get the tolerances close enough and it still threw the motor out of balance. we have 3 trucks turning 5 at the line and at least 42-4500 down the track with with one turning 5-5500rpms and they all have stock components and havent had any trouble granted one of those has arias pistons and hardended rods (which has nothign to do with balance). i would try to find out from the machine shop how far out it was at 6500 before spending a small fourtune in a crank. also wouldnt be a bad idea to check into how far out the rods were, i know our machine shop keeps track of all that in theyre system that we can call back and get record of it down the road if we need to. most of the time the crank is already pretty close, its the rest of the rotating assembly that is generally most out of balance.

No ballance machine i know of spins to 6500 rpm......even if it did it would NOT accuratly duplicate the harmonics or accual bending and twisting the crank see's under opperation. Weighting the crank will not slove the issue, it just moves the issue to another area.

Properly ballenceing involves more than just the crank....

bdp
08-13-2010, 08:03 AM
Gosh we have missed your holy wisdom around here so much Wade! Welcome back!

DIESEL_POWER
08-13-2010, 10:00 AM

Holy wisdom, probably not.
Common sense, Yes.

Thanks, nice to be back!

2000wvdodge
08-13-2010, 02:34 PM

:hehe::hehe::hehe: