PDA

View Full Version : Replacing 360 in 1963 806 Farmall

Mr.Gadget
08-06-2010, 07:37 AM
Tractor was running great but has since piled up a rod bearing and scored the crank really bad . The engine has unknown hours and was pretty much worn out before any of the fun began so this was kind of expected. What would be the most cost effective swap to gain a few inches but not have a laundry list of mods to do ? Factory appearing would be one thing I would like to shoot for. I have heard of bus motor swaps but I know nothing about this and could use some advice.

Thanks for the help.

BlackSkyRacing
09-15-2010, 09:38 AM
Tractor was running great but has since piled up a rod bearing and scored the crank really bad . The engine has unknown hours and was pretty much worn out before any of the fun began so this was kind of expected. What would be the most cost effective swap to gain a few inches but not have a laundry list of mods to do ? Factory appearing would be one thing I would like to shoot for. I have heard of bus motor swaps but I know nothing about this and could use some advice.

Thanks for the help.

Stock appearing in a 806 would limit you to a 407 or a 429 since those are the two larger engines sharing (basically) the same block as your 361 The 407 was widely used in trucks and buses, but they are getting rather hard to come by. They are also found in 856, 1256, 1456, and IIRC select few combine applications. The 429 was only used in a couple of the 4x4 articulators that IH had and tends to be kind of a rare find.

Now, a 400 series block (414, 436, 466) is physically very similar in size, but has slightly different front mounts in the frame. It doesn't take a whole lot to make them fit, but it has been done many times over. I cannot remember if the input shafts or the IPTO shafts are the same, but both are inexpensive and readily available.

Either way you go you'll need the tractor backing plate and timing cover :Cheer:

Ackerdiesel
12-28-2010, 01:57 AM
Are you intending o building pulling tractor? If so then I'd go DT466 if not and you are just looking for a little bit extra power I'd go DT436. That would be plenty of motor for field work IMO

IHDonnie
01-03-2011, 09:28 PM
check ebay as 361/407 show up there frequently