Help sorting out driveline problem

jedeka

I have started pulling this summer and have 7 hooks on the truck. Things seem to be OK in the 8000 lb class. When pulling the 8500 lb class, things start breaking. My truck is a 96 Dodge with ext cab, long box and 5 speed tranny and 3.54 gears. A week and a half ago, I broke the output shaft on my 241 DLD, which could have transpired from a broken tranny mount. I am going to install a 271 this week, but put the 241 back together for this weekend. Today, while pulling on a heavy track, my 305/16 BFG A/T's were getting plenty of traction. I weighed in at 8200 lbs and had tire pressure set at 45 lbs. At the end of the pull, a rear u-joint cap and strap broke. A little more investigation at the carrier bearing, shows that it may have slid ahead, out of the rubber. Is there something I need to do different on my setup? I a thinking about going to a one-piece driveshaft, unless there is a heavier carrier bearing available. I am using blocks on the rear axle and have straps on the leaf springs. Thanks.

The axle under all the pressure winds up pretty good and is probably shoving the shaft forward and pushing the hanger apart.

You have the hanger that is threaded, and the bolts go into the bracket from the hanger extension? or you have a regular conventional hanger?

You could go to a 1 pc shaft depending on other parameters, which would be the end all solution... and it's not a killer bad truck like some of them on here

My class is allowed to run traction bars. I should probably get the set I have built on the truck. I was waiting to install them on my new axle, but may have to put them on sooner. Thanks for the input.

Back