PDA

View Full Version : Maaco paint job.

SPEEDSHIFT
08-11-2010, 04:03 PM
I have decided I fuking HATE bodywork, and I am not going to ever finish painting my 12v myself. I also dont want to spend $2k on a paint job for this little truck, I honestly would be happy with it all being the same color right now.. dings and all. So really how bad can Maco be? The truck will be stored inside at all times, minus the times it gets driven. I can live with a not so perfect paint job, right now the hood, roof, and one fender have hail damage and there are lots of little dings, but nothing major. They said $380 to sand, prime, and paint it, plus $40hr for body work. I am going to do white or black.

The turd...

PSD0389
08-11-2010, 04:13 PM
I had a maaco paint job done on my OBS, I got the stage 3 paint job which was 600 bucks, I did the body work. Their taping wasnt the best bust the paint has held up well over the last 3 years. The truck nevers stays in a garage either. It only is peeling in one spot. The paint is a nice looking metallic paint though

SPEEDSHIFT
08-11-2010, 04:16 PM
I should have put this in the paint section... sorry mods.

dieselbeef
08-11-2010, 05:25 PM
better be a light color..do whatever color it was so the jambs match..its a crap shoot wit them..some good ..some bad..youll be doing some serious detailing but itll be okay

MD-LUCKY
08-11-2010, 05:57 PM
Do you have any local community colleges that do body work?

I know a few folks have had the college down south from us do work at extremely discounted prices.. I can't imagine it would be any better or worse than a MAACO job, but you might save yourself even more money.. I know $300 isn't much, but they may do it for materials only at a college.

bna5017
08-11-2010, 06:04 PM
I knew a girl in high school that had her car painted by Maaco, it sucked real bad. Paint all over the windows, lights, key holes, and tires. The color wasn't very even at all. It only had one run it, but it was about 6" long.

I imagine some are worse than others, but bottom line is if you ever want that truck to look decent stay away from Maaco. I'd say you could probably get a decent paint job done for about a grand.

rpage
08-11-2010, 07:18 PM
You can also check with a high school some of them have auto classes and mite paint it for materials

SPEEDSHIFT
08-12-2010, 08:54 AM
You can also check with a high school some of them have auto classes and mite paint it for materials

Ive got two buddies that are AG teachers and said I could bring it down to the HS and have them paint it pretty cheap.. That is a possibility also.

bbbxcursion
08-12-2010, 09:16 AM
Not every Maaco is the same. Some do awsome work, some really suck and the paint will come off in the carwash.

Amish Elegance
08-12-2010, 09:31 AM
I should have put this in the paint section... sorry mods.

No problem. I can fix that. :D

Chris Tobin
08-12-2010, 09:33 AM
In general I think the mass production shops like Maaco do good paint work, think about it they paint more cars in a month than custom guys do in a year so they know how to handle a gun. Talk to the painter (the actual guy that will be painting it) and offer him a case of beer and a good tip to take special care of it while it is in HIS booth and he will take some extra care with it...

The main problem with places like this is the prep work. do as much as you can yourself. Remove any and all parts you can that you don't want painted or masked like headlights, taillights, bumpers, locks and so on... If you do the removal and reassembly of small parts like that and the painter throws down a decent job it should be good. Also they do warranty their work...

As to the color, if it had hail damage and the body work won't be PERFECT stick with white!!! Black will show each and every minor imperfection and white will hide them better.

My two cents...

YOUNG GUNS15
08-12-2010, 09:52 AM
I'm taking my truck to the Maacao in St. George Utah.....I heard they were good. And for 1 grand I hope they do a good job....

Ive also heard all kinds of feedback from maaco..... makes me nervous

SPEEDSHIFT
08-12-2010, 10:16 AM
No problem. I can fix that. :D

Thank ya, Sir!

I call my buddy, I think Somerset High School will have a new project this coming school year. They have a full booth, and from what they say, these kids are bunch of bad asses.

impmouse
08-12-2010, 02:21 PM
i work for a pant shop here in indiana , been doing this work for 17 years ,,, you get what you pay for when it comes to body work and painting ... i did all the work on my truck ,body and paint i still had 1200.00 in paint and primer .. i still don't use the best there was out there ... if you want just color than you can't wrong ..

johnstontruckin
08-12-2010, 02:56 PM
i had my 72 nova painted at maaco and they did all the body work and paint and were reasonable on price... and surprisingly the car turned out really nice

SPEEDSHIFT
08-17-2010, 08:49 AM
Truck is going to the HS in two weeks. We'll see. I do need a sport front bumper if anyone has one for sale.

roachie
08-17-2010, 10:01 AM
I can't begin to cover the amount of miss information in this thread. It was $900 in materials to paint my RSX. My F250 will be over $1500 and my dart will break 3k with me only paying for paint, primer, hardener, clear, ect.

If your letting a HS paint it, just go to tactor supply an buy a gun and some enamle, and a few rolls of tape.

RacinDuallie
08-17-2010, 10:39 AM
If your letting a HS paint it, just go to tactor supply an buy a gun and some enamle, and a few rolls of tape.

LOLHehehe ahhhh memories. AutoShop in school. Those were some fun times.:hehe::hehe:

Chris Tobin
08-17-2010, 10:54 AM
I can't begin to cover the amount of miss information in this thread. It was $900 in materials to paint my RSX. My F250 will be over $1500 and my dart will break 3k with me only paying for paint, primer, hardener, clear, ect.

Agreed, if you're gonna let some high school kids with nothing invested in the outcome paint it, you might as well buy a gun and paint it yourself...$.02

Pride of work will go a long way toward your work if you choose to do it yourself...

SPEEDSHIFT
08-17-2010, 11:26 AM
LOL

I am no painter, and if it is all one color, I will be happy. I guess paint just isnt that big of a deal to me. There is no way in hell I would put a paint job on it that cost thousands of dollars. I would rather put that money into the motor/trans. If they screw it up, then shame on me, ill have it redone by someone better.

MD-LUCKY
08-17-2010, 03:38 PM
What are they charging you if you don't mind me asking?

SPEAKSUP
08-17-2010, 04:08 PM
Hit up the High School's that all we did when I was in school. Are principal got a full rebuild with a show finish interior exterior engine trans paint for nothing.. It takes some time but we always had good work come out of there.

SPEEDSHIFT
08-17-2010, 05:28 PM
What are they charging you if you don't mind me asking?

$0.

MD-LUCKY
08-17-2010, 05:56 PM
$0.

Free.99 and you get to give the kids at the school an opportunity to shoot something they may actually get excited about.

I'd say your Karma is pretty good on this one.

Congrats!

jsf350
08-17-2010, 08:12 PM
The tech high school around here puts out some GOOD work. Yes there are some kids who do give 2 sh#ts..... but there are plenty of others who love working/painting on cars.

around here it is all materials + 10%

LOGANSTANFORTH
08-20-2010, 12:29 PM
The local MAACO guy near me had a Bentley Limo setting outside the shop he just finished, next to it was a bagged shoebox chevy and setting next the the shoebox was a newer Vette and a humoungous F350 with a custom paint job...Just seeing the Bentley was enough to sell me cause if someone is willing to let them paint their 1/2 to 3/4 million dollar limousine, he HAS to be good...

Snake
08-20-2010, 01:11 PM
+1 on the highschools having some good potential. Both my parents worked at a vo-tech high school and we had almost every vehicle we owned painted there. At the time, I was the same age as the students there and talked with a bunch of them. Those kids are in a vo-tech school to learn a trade, in this case body work. If they screw up there, they know that its going to be that much more difficult to find a career in auto body. Besides, most of them wanted to do a better job than their peers so they put a lot of time and effort into their work.

That being said, don't leave anything of value in your vehicle. I lost a head unit and 2 amps. :hehe:

SPEEDSHIFT
08-21-2010, 07:50 PM
Yeah, I already pulled everything out of the interior. LOL

roachie
08-21-2010, 07:59 PM
The local MAACO guy near me had a Bentley Limo setting outside the shop he just finished, next to it was a bagged shoebox chevy and setting next the the shoebox was a newer Vette and a humoungous F350 with a custom paint job...Just seeing the Bentley was enough to sell me cause if someone is willing to let them paint their 1/2 to 3/4 million dollar limousine, he HAS to be good...

Um, no

9712valve
08-21-2010, 08:24 PM
I had maaco paint a car I had a few years, I told them don't do any body work just prep it and paint it, and for 400 dollars it came out pretty good, they only screwed up a few spots, and they were very minor. no paint on the windows or locks or anywhere it wasn't already, then my dad had maaco paint his 95 ram and had them do the 1000 dollar paint job and it came out pretty good, the only thing they painted over was the antenna base that's on the fender, the truck is never garaged and 3yrs later it still looks good.

LOGANSTANFORTH
08-22-2010, 07:39 PM
Um, no

um yes...I'll grab some pics of the shop the next time I go buy it...

Mr.T
08-22-2010, 07:54 PM
ahhhh..... the perks of having family in the body/paint business LOL

im gettin my truck prepped for free (as long as i help) sprayed for 10 an hour, plus 150 bucks to rent the booth

roachie
08-22-2010, 10:28 PM
The maaco chit I've seen looks like a paint roller was used for the larger areas, curves made them use a broom.

srt cummins
08-22-2010, 10:55 PM
^^^^ he is right the maco in Albuquerque sucks bad. I'm not saying the shop I work at is the best but me only being in the paint side for two months I know maco can't paint or color match

GLHS
08-23-2010, 09:52 AM
Not every Maaco is the same. Some do awsome work, some really suck and the paint will come off in the carwash.

This is a dead on statement.

I shopped around here in Denver and visited 2 Maaco shops. The 1st one was in Northglenn and had only been open 2 or 3 months. I saw some of their work in the parking lot. It was horrendous.

Visited the shop in Commerce City and the work was much better. I stripped everything off and paint has been done 7 years now.

Trimmy1
10-17-2010, 01:31 AM
Go to the high school, I was in a technical high school for body/paint and if the teacher has any pride in what he does he will make sure it gets done right. I went to state competitions for painting for my school and every vehicle that came into our shop the two years I was in the program was painted by me or by my buddy who was good at painting also. The teacher will make sure its done wright and if its not it will probably get redone or atleast that's how my teacher was...

95taylor331
10-17-2010, 03:47 AM
Go with white it will hide the body damage more, black will just expose it more

Dodgecummins123
12-18-2010, 10:40 PM
I had a small town body shop do the work for me it 3,500 bucks by the time i got two new front fenders a new cowl hood redid both rockers and sills

SPEEDSHIFT
12-19-2010, 07:06 PM
The truck should be done here in a couple weeks they said, ill post some pics... I havent seen it in a couple months. LOL

TWIZTED CUMMINS
03-03-2011, 01:00 PM
Ya not to fond of MAACO used to work for a body shop and we had to charge extra for removing Macco work and repainting it.....Im going to be painting my truck so it will only cost in materials if I were to have someone else do it it would be around 6k for an awesome paint job which is about right

Legendarydslper
08-10-2011, 08:03 AM
I know this is old, but I wanna see how it turned out!