PDA

View Full Version : Custom frame build

carcrafter22
09-04-2010, 09:31 PM
So building the AWD chassis for the 67 F100.

Looking at old blue print drawings the frame on the ford is mostly 6" tall .21" thick C channel then from the rear of the cab back it quickly necks down to 4" C channel to support the bed and axle leafs.

I am going with a modern front suspension probably from a 2005 chevy truck but the rest will most likely be fabbed by me using the original body mounts and a rear parallel 4 link with air bag shocks.

I'd like to use fresh steel for this build for everything but the front frame since it will contain the front stationary diff and suspension and its much easier to just graft it onto the new custom frame.

I would like to just use 2"X4" 3/16" wall tube but after looking at those drawings I wonder if thats not the best choice and should go with something like 2"X6"? I've never built a custom chassis so I'm looking for opinoins.

I really dont want to build a brick so weight savings would be nice but I also want a good stiff chassis ( I know not too stiff) to build off of. Would the 2x4 .187" wall work or go 2X6 .187". I could always copy the factory frame and do 2x6 .187" to mount the body on then graft into the chevy front suspension and then kick it up into 2x4 .187" from the rear of the cab back for the 4 link.

Obviously I will probably never tow anything with this thing and the bed floor is going away or will be severely raised so wont be hauling anything either.

Thoughts?