PDA

View Full Version : need turbo advice

01TxAg
04-24-2007, 09:06 PM
I've got an '01 7.3 6sp f350, Wildman chip, intake, 4" turbo back, other minor mods. I tow alot, and have a real bad surge and egt problem, so I'm gonna get a new turbo setup. I've gotten a couple of sugestions. 1)TN .84 a/r and spearco I.C. 2)gtp38r with 1.15 a/r. Either way I'm gonna get coated uppipes and get rid of the ebpv. It's kinda throwing me, cuz they seem to be complete oposites of each other. So, the TN won't spool as fast, but the gtp can surge. I'm lost. Will the gtp spool as fast, or faster, with the 1.15 as the TN? Will it surge. Also, the only way(I think) the 1.15 housing comes is without the wastegate. Is it gonna make too much boost(all stock internals)? Anybody tow alot (usually 25-30K total) with a std trans with experience? Price wise, they'll be about the same, but no new I.C. if I go with the gtp. My next mod will be stage II single shots, or at least that's my plan. I don't know when that will happen, but I don't want to get maxed out right now because I buy the wrong turbo. sorry for the novel Any help will be much appreciated.

GREGROB
04-24-2007, 09:35 PM
I would personally go with the GTP 38R ball bearing as-delivered.

If it does surge you can get the ported compressor housing from Bob Riley and that should cure it, no 1.15 exhaust housing needed.

I have had experience driving trucks with both and I can tell you the ball bearing move more air, spools way quicker, and is just more of a ballsy turbo IMO.

The TN is good, doesn't surge, tough, rebuildable, but just doesn't move near the air that the ball bearing does. If you don't plan on injectors or smallish ones, the TN would probably be ok, the ball bearing can support 500+ RWHP if you ever decide to go that far though, and moves more air with stock injectors regardless.

FWIW

DarkShadowDiesel
04-26-2007, 03:38 PM
with a ceramic BB drop in TN unit on the horizon, i would wait and get that. the TN doesnt surge, and yes it needs more air to get spooling as is. i am sure with the new 1.15 housing the TN will support 500+ as well just like the Garrett. in current form it's dyno'd 438whp/1000+tq with mini mes on stock fuel system and stock HPOP.
greg, not trying to be a punk but how do you know that it moves more air from driving it? just more power or what?
i would be interested in seeing the CFMs both flow, i bet the BB flows a little bit more. the TN is a t61 and the BB a 66, i think the TN has a 91mm inducer and the BB an 88mm.

GREGROB
04-26-2007, 05:50 PM
Just from experience man, no fancy data sheets.

I guess you could say "just cause my friends have them" like you said last time you asked me.

lukecline
04-26-2007, 06:03 PM
I really liked the h2e for towing, its been proven time and time again.

Snedge
04-26-2007, 06:23 PM
GTP 38R I will agree with GREGROB. Garrett built the turbo thats on your truck.
Take it right out of the box and bolt it on. Fixes your problem.
You'll like it.

lightsOUT
04-26-2007, 09:31 PM
call bdp, get the 1.00 AR housing non wastegated and get a wicked wheel. it will be perfect for your set up and will eliminate the surge, and wont cost a fortune.

DarkShadowDiesel
04-26-2007, 09:59 PM
Just from experience man, no fancy data sheets.

I guess you could say "just cause my friends have them" like you said last time you asked me.

again, not taking a shot, don't know how much clearer i could've made it. if you take it as such i guess i can't stop you. i certainly wasn't doubting you whatsoever, i think the GTP38r flows more to begin with anyway. like i said, i believe it's based on t66 architecture whereas the TN is based on t61.
for the OP: have you considered a BDP dominator 66? i believe it flows ~100CFM (on the website) more than the H2e and is a drop in. i think it might be around the price of a TN, $1300 or so.

lildevil02
04-26-2007, 10:48 PM
I have the GTP38R, I can’t say I have ever had a surge issues with it. It spool really good down low and keeps up in the upper rpm band. I like mine.