PDA

View Full Version : 05 wont start

SMOKED
10-15-2010, 10:14 AM
my neighbor asked me to look at his truck, he said it keeps dying at stoplights, wont start without ether and wont idle for very long, he got it started while i was there and the exhaust is real clean, no smoke and smells okay, it is bone stock and has a brand new fuel filter in place, i pushed the primer button after the truck died and it still didnt start, it acts like you turn the key off, i tried to pull codes with a cheap scantool but it says no codes and the check engine light is not on has around 45-50k miles on it, i am familiar with bosch common rail but no expert, should i start by checking the fuel lines etc from tank to cp-3, is there a faster way to check it ? :Cheer:

JD4440
10-15-2010, 09:38 PM
I wish I could help you bud but I'm kinda stumped, been a long day. Did the primer get stiff quickly or at all? I wonder if the fuel filter housing is cracked and sucking air.

phale
10-15-2010, 10:01 PM
Need to get some info on rail pressure while cranking as well as desired rail to be able to help very much. try pushing the primer with the bleeder valve closed and look for fuel leaks around the top and bottom of the filter.

SMOKED
10-15-2010, 11:38 PM
the primer did get stiff after about five pumps after it had been running, i didnt get to check it before he started it

Gibson
01-05-2011, 12:58 AM
Once it cranks up pump the heck out if the primer. Had an 05 that rab out if fuel and it took a god 10-15 mins if pumping even after it started up.

GMac
01-21-2011, 02:26 PM
i had the same problem with my truck. It ended up being a bad injector. I did a return test on all of them and one was returning all the fuel and wouldn't let the system build pressure. That would be my guess or it could be a weak relief valve