end head gasket issues forever ?

mikmaze

we all read about em, dread havin em.. how bout a way to possibly end head gasket problems.

the head gasket lives a harsh life, in the region of the engine where the highest pressures exist. we run studs that cost tons of money, retorque often, run fire rings, but try as we might, we still loose head gaskets.

how bout moving the gasket from the hihges pressure location, to the lowest location in the mix?

I am talking about shortening the block height, and increasing the head depth to the point that the piston never leaves the head. rings would do as they always do, hold their own. yes the head would be expensive, but what isn't ? you guys know what I mean ? idea is foggy to me, but should be a workable item alignment would be critical, but tell a cnc machine where to put the holes, and it does so with little fuss. if I was worth a spit with any cad programs I would include pics, but o well, thoughts will have to do.

we all read about em, dread havin em.. how bout a way to possibly end head gasket problems.

the head gasket lives a harsh life, in the region of the engine where the highest pressures exist. we run studs that cost tons of money, retorque often, run fire rings, but try as we might, we still loose head gaskets.

how bout moving the gasket from the hihges pressure location, to the lowest location in the mix?

I am talking about shortening the block height, and increasing the head depth to the point that the piston never leaves the head. rings would do as they always do, hold their own. yes the head would be expensive, but what isn't ? you guys know what I mean ? idea is foggy to me, but should be a workable item alignment would be critical, but tell a cnc machine where to put the holes, and it does so with little fuss. if I was worth a spit with any cad programs I would include pics, but o well, thoughts will have to do.

How do you plan on putting the pistons in place? Keeping the integrity of the lower end of the block IMO is much more important.

Since the world of electronics has advanced to the point where it's possible to hit the 1K hp mark on a relatively stock engine and keep the rpm under 4k, head gaskets have just given up. What happened to building a high performance engine? Use rpm to make power...stand alone ecu since rpm limits are unheard of...better than redesigning the engine.

Last edited:
Since the world of electronics has advanced to the point where it's possible to hit the 1K hp mark on a relatively stock engine and keep the rpm under 4k, head gaskets have just given up. What happened to building a high performance engine? Use rpm to make power...stand alone ecu since rpm limits are unheard of...better than redesigning the engine.

can you come back with this post in English? :eek:

pistons would have to installed into the head bores first, then dropped on the lower block as a unit and bolted up from the bottom

pistons would have to installed into the head bores first, then dropped on the lower block as a unit and bolted up from the bottom

So you have a valve drop and f up everything in the upper cylinder bore...how would you perform a repair?

standard block drops a valve and can eat the whole block, bottom end would be safe, "just" need a new deep head. of course all the weak points of the typical head would be gone over, valve seats, side draft from the get go......

There are easier solutions....mod pullers are making 2,000 hp and blowing blocks apart before the head gasket gives. Part of the trick involves running sleeves that protrude slightly above the deck of the block to seal cylinder pressure.

There are easier solutions....mod pullers are making 2,000 hp and blowing blocks apart before the head gasket gives. Part of the trick involves running sleeves that protrude slightly above the deck of the block to seal cylinder pressure.

Wasn't that in one of those diesel mags?:hehe:

I did think that was a great idea though.

Like a kta600 cummins. Individual heads that you can cut for lower press fit wet style liners and be able to adjust liner protrusion. Im going back to my old school big cam cummins days that i used to make a living working on.

Wasn't that in one of those diesel mags?:hehe:

I did think that was a great idea though.

Yeah, I wrote the article :ft:

Guess I was a little behind the times...apparently it has been a trick that's been used for a few years....

How do you plan on putting the pistons in place? Keeping the integrity of the lower end of the block IMO is much more important.

X2.

You would have to go way down in the cylinder, almost all the way to the crank to keep everything from hitting the lip where the two pieces met. Then what about the cam, oil cooler, water pump, ect. You think studs are expensive, wait till you saw the price tag for that setup. LOL

I dont think head gaskets are that a big of a deal when everything is set up right.

Last edited:
I had talked about a full custom block with no head to remove put ur valves in ,pistons and then crank all from the bottom end have no head to remove but it would be super costly. LOL

Back