EOD

explosives87

powder monkey
I have been looking at join the service and was wonder if anyone on here is a EOD tech. I dont really care what branch of service you are with but would pefer to speak with someone that either went USMC or navys eod tech schools.

Not an EOD tech, but i am in the Navy and I know an instructor at the EOD school in Florida. He is in the Airforce and told me the EOD is lame except for the navy EOD techs. Navy EOD do dive training and a lot of other training the other services do not.

I just fly toy airplanes for my job in the navy so hope it is a little insight. I have been in for 7 years and thinking of putting my package in for EOD as well, just haven't decided if I like the prospect of getting blown up underwater yet. . .

You cannot enlist directly into EOD in the Marine Corps. You have to be an NCO and do a lateral move to it when you reenlist after your first term. As far as the Navy goes I have no idea.

you can enlist into the EOD in the navy, just as you can for Seal training, SWCC training or Aircrew etc etc.

I'm EOD in the USAF and I can tell you it's definately not lame. I've deployed to one "lame" deployment (Kuwait 05) but have also done a Baghdad Iraq trip (06-07) and a Kandahar Afghanistan trip (08-09) and I'm on my way back to Afghanistan shortly after Xmas. We're covering nearly 60% (5 companies!) of the combat EOD forces in Afghanistan. My little brother is Navy EOD and he joined that specifically because he wanted to jump/dive. I understand that the navy EOD guys have their place, but as far as I'm concerned they spend too much of their time trying to be SEAL's instead of being EOD tech's. Where are they in the war? They're too busy doing hooya training and doing other stuff to come play in the most vital EOD role in a war there's ever been, ever, as they make up less than 10% of all EOD forces in theater.

All 4 branches of service go to the same school, it's called NAVSCOLEOD down here at Eglin AFB in FL. All 4 branches are in class together throughout the main portion, however each branch has their own "prep course" and "follow-on" courses, but the meat & potatoes is the same.

AIR FORCE EOD IS BOOTS ON THE GROUND DOING REAL EOD WORK! HOOOOYA!

I know one of the EOD instructors at NAVSCOLEOD and he has told me that Navy EOD gets the better follow on training etc than the other services. . . personally I am Navy and thinking of crossrating, however I have been in for 7 years now so we will see.

you do go through jump/dive schools in the Navy and they do serve with the SEAL's, we have a couple EOD's on my deployment right now with our SEAL team here. I fly the UAV systems for them right now and enjoy it, but would like the explosives training as well if I can get it.

my brother is navy eod and what you've got to say is pretty much spot on... I almost crossed over to the navy before the air force started paying us the big bonus's

Ive been to three different EOD courses, one as E4 and two as E5... All were great and I sent a bunch of my guys to three other schools, all high speed. Army, Air Force, and to an extent the Marines are boots on the ground getting it done. Ive only ever seen three Navy techs in country...

So really the question is, do you want to do the job or just train for it?

Back