Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   Dodge Competition and Performance (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   24 Valve P-pump conversion. (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3702)

RacinDuallie 09-30-2006 07:17 AM

24 Valve P-pump conversion.

......Say you have all the hard parts for a 24V P-pump conversion, what is involved with the wiring from the VP equipped harness?? Are there wires clipped from the ECM? What else is needed to put this in working order?:poke: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

:Cheer: :evil

AsTroSS 10-01-2006 04:30 PM

I am interested about same information.

Mechanical part of this swap looks easy, but electronics and wiring are unkonwn :soap:

Like I understand only way to go (with automatic tranny) is swap in the full 98 12 wiring harness with ECM ?
To find '98 12 wiring with ECM its not very easy and cheap.

If you leav VP44 pump wiring open, ECM will generate error code and it will go to 'limp home mode' ?

Also maybe someone can post full list on hard parts, like front gear housing, p-7100 pump, custom high pessure fuel lines, injectros ......

massdiesel 10-01-2006 06:35 PM

Guy's we have done them here they are not that hard to do.The wiring issues depend on what year the truck is.You can make everything work to.

RacinDuallie 10-02-2006 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by massdiesel
Guy's we have done them here they are not that hard to do.The wiring issues depend on what year the truck is.You can make everything work to.

Ok..... say said truck is a 98 with the 24 Valve.... What gets one past the wiring hurdles?:poke: :poke:

zukgod1 10-03-2006 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RacinDuallie
Ok..... say said truck is a 98 with the 24 Valve.... What gets one past the wiring hurdles?:poke: :poke:

It's called the twelve step program.

Step One: Open beer bottle of your choice and drink. :chug:
Step Two: Remove dash trim
Step Three: Open beer bottle of your choice and drink. :chug:
Step Four: Remove gauge cluster
Step Five: Open beer bottle of your choice and drink. :chug:
Step Six: Remove SES light and any others that are offensive.
Step Seven: Open beer bottle of your choice and drink. :chug:
Step Eight: reinstall cluster.
Step Nine: Open beer bottle of your choice and drink. :chug:
Step Ten: reinstall dash trim
Step Eleven: Open beer bottle of your choice and drink. :chug:
Step Twelve: Take a nap.

What ever you do dont take it for a :drive: :badidea:

dan

massdiesel 10-03-2006 10:31 PM

Jeff give me a call here at the shop and can help you out 508-660-7093

CC12V 10-04-2006 07:32 AM

I've got a 98 12 valve ECM if anybody needs one.

02 dodge4x4 5.9 10-07-2006 10:03 PM

im totally lost but are you guys saying i can take the pump off of my 93 12v 1st gen or my 96 12v 2nd gen an make it work on my 02 2nd gen 24v sure hope so cause maybe i might need it an there free unlike the 1100 i prolly spend if it wont let me know thanks

Billysgoat 10-08-2006 01:36 AM

Yes, you can convert your 01 to a mechanical pump, but it's not an easy afternoon swap and you will spend a decent chunk of change on the extra's needed to do it. Last I heard a "from scratch" swap is about 3k or so, someone please chime in here and let me know if I'm in te ball park or not.

massdiesel 10-08-2006 08:38 PM

Yes billy your in the game if you have most of the parts and do it the inexpensive way out

Billysgoat 10-08-2006 10:11 PM

I'm toyin with the idea of a swap on the goat when (not if LOL ) the VP dies, all depends on whether or not I have something else to drive by then (looking for a cheap commuter).

Oh yeah, and if I have the $$$ or not LOL

GMac 02-22-2007 10:07 AM

I have a 98 12 valve harness. That and the hard parts is all you need to make it work. You can still use the factory PCM on the firewall. That harness has the big block plug that goes right into the power distribution block. That is the cleanest and easiest way.

diesel junkie02 02-22-2007 01:49 PM

Industral injection said that they have a conversion kit that has all the parts needed to convert the vp to a p-pump except for the actual p-pump for $1300 does this sound right?

4x4dually 02-22-2007 01:58 PM

So, what are all the reasons to covert....besides the VP being a complete piece of crap. I'm am assuming reliability and pressure would be the first two? Does it deliever a chit load more fuel than we can get out of the VP's?

diesel junkie02 02-22-2007 02:06 PM

The p-7100 will pump way more fuel than a vp44.

diesel junkie02 02-22-2007 02:07 PM

plus the p-pumps are oil lubricated unlike the diesel lubed vp's

Billysgoat 02-22-2007 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x4dually
So, what are all the reasons to covert....besides the VP being a complete piece of crap. I'm am assuming reliability and pressure would be the first two? Does it deliever a chit load more fuel than we can get out of the VP's?

Max fuel only HP I have heard on a VP equipped truck is around 600HP, max I have heard from a P pumped truck was around 1500HP (Stoooopid pump, in a puller). So yeah, the P pump will flow a touch more fuel LOL LOL

Hoss 02-23-2007 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billysgoat
Max fuel only HP I have heard on a VP equipped truck is around 600HP, max I have heard from a P pumped truck was around 1500HP (Stoooopid pump, in a puller). So yeah, the P pump will flow a touch more fuel LOL LOL

I made 724hp with a VP and nitrous. however I had hit the limit of how much fuel I could get out of the VP at that time. The P-Pump conversion opens new doors in the fueling game wide open!! They can be hard to tune and finding the right injector is not easy. But when it works right it really works :rockwoot:

diesel junkie02 02-28-2007 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoss
I made 724hp with a VP and nitrous. however I had hit the limit of how much fuel I could get out of the VP at that time. The P-Pump conversion opens new doors in the fueling game wide open!! They can be hard to tune and finding the right injector is not easy. But when it works right it really works :rockwoot:

How do you tune the p-pump? besides the timing?

gunracer1 02-28-2007 02:36 PM

mosty afc spring rates to bring in the fueling curve and some use plates, others chuck them. and govener spring weigh in pretty heavy in the mix. the 24v's seem to like a lot of timing from a p pump on them.