Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   94-98 2nd Gen. 12V (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   47RH Build, Advice? (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152437)

Kryp2nitE 04-08-2013 10:43 PM

47RH Build, Advice?

I've been searching through trans build threads for a couple of weeks, just wanted to post what I've got so far for upgrades to see if I missed anything before it gets put together.
Close to stock now with an HE351/BHT3B sitting on the bench waiting to go on.

Parts I have so far (Except the converter) from engine flexplate to output shaft:
DTT Flexplate
Billet Triple (Have contacted a vendor but have not gotten anything yet)
TCS Aermet Input shaft
Kevlar Front band
Increased direct clutch count based on the Junker Drag truck thread
Suncoast direct piston
Stock forward clutch count
Suncoast Billet Forward piston (.840)
Steel 5 Pinion Front Planet
Aluminum 6 Pinion Rear Planet
Sonnax upgraded OD Piston Retainer
Increased OD Clutch count
Increased OD Direct clutch count
PATC OD Mega Spring
Steel 6 Pinion OD Planet

Sonnax Accumulator
Sonnax Intermediate and Reverse Servo
Billet 4.2 Lever
Billet Strut and Anchor
Transgo TFOD VB Kit with Sonnax 3-4 Spring instead of the TG Spring and Superior Lock-up Cover

Threads I've bookmarked in no specific order, might help the next guy searching for useful threads:
95' Junker Drag Truck - Page 44 - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together
2nd gear lockup would be nice. can it be done? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
47re Clutch Pack Upgrades - Page 6 - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together
Overdrive Clutch Piston Retainer Carnage? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
Mopar Trans ID Guide - Car Craft

95' Junker Drag Truck - Page 4 - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together
47RH Build! Advice? - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together
95' Junker Drag Truck - Page 57 - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together
47RH Transmission Tech - Budget Build Up - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together
billet apply leaver? - Page 2 - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together
47RH buildup parts suggestions? - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together
47RH Transmission Tech - Budget Build Up - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together
47rh band question - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together
47re Clutch Pack Upgrades - Page 3 - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

12vCumminsFTW 04-09-2013 12:19 AM

Sub'd to this. My "sorta" built 47rh is needing work soon, I've also been researching trans build threads.

Knoberman 04-09-2013 07:12 AM

Convertor call Phil Taylor, dpc, he's in the sponsor section.
Here's a link. Diesel Performance Converters - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

Lucas1 04-09-2013 08:23 PM

I have a dunrite valve body and it seams ok.i LOVE the ability took it up in all gears. Pulls way harder when u hit the switch in second.
But I would like to have tried a DTT or goerend.

Converters .
I would go with a stator as close to stock.
I have a 89h TCS triple disk.
I find it loads up the motor a little to hard. Stock feeling stators get turbos spooling faster. And keeps smoke down when pulling away from lights with a load

So ask about stators and valve bodys

Bersaglieri 04-10-2013 02:37 PM

DTT: I like the real old stuff I ran around with for a while, but the DTT now isn't what it used to be, prepare for long waits, problems returning, problems getting refunded money after returns.

I suggest someone else. I've got a mixed bag of Goerend, Garmon, and Suncoast stuff.

Kryp2nitE 04-10-2013 02:42 PM

Appreciate the help guys, sounds like you have had good luck with DPC. Stock stall seems ot be the ticket for me for now.

I didn't list a deep pan above so I will have to order one.

Any other weak points in the 47RH that I have not addressed above?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bersaglieri (Post 2051311)
DTT: I like the real old stuff I ran around with for a while, but the DTT now isn't what it used to be, prepare for long waits, problems returning, problems getting refunded money after returns.

I suggest someone else. I've got a mixed bag of Goerend, Garmon, and Suncoast stuff.

I will keep this in mind, thank you

12vCumminsFTW 04-12-2013 10:23 PM

Does anyone know if there are any 6 pinion steel rear planets available for the 47re-rh? I know the 48re's are, but more $$$. I suppose the 6 pinion aluminum is plenty strong?

Got Smoke? 05-04-2013 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kryp2nitE (Post 2051319)
Appreciate the help guys, sounds like you have had good luck with DPC. Stock stall seems ot be the ticket for me for now.

I didn't list a deep pan above so I will have to order one.

Any other weak points in the 47RH that I have not addressed above?

Phil Taylor is the man for a Torque Convertor for a Cummins!

Here is a recent thread about deeper transmission pan's
Ebay $170 trans pan? - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

This Derale pan is a excellent buy from the looks!
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-14210/overview/

A weak point with the RH is the aluminum planet, the splines strip out when making decent power (500HP).

As seen here in AHale's build thread.
Ahale's 94 Build thread - Page 23 - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/u...ps9fc9be99.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12vCumminsFTW (Post 2053241)
Does anyone know if there are any 6 pinion steel rear planets available for the 47re-rh? I know the 48re's are, but more $$$. I suppose the 6 pinion aluminum is plenty strong?

Both of these places sell upgraded planets
PATC Performance Transmissions Parts and Torque Converters
Transmission parts & Transmission kits

Kryp2nitE 07-05-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12vCumminsFTW (Post 2053241)

Rear planet failure is not common and there isn't a steel one without going to 48RE hard parts that I have found. 6 Pinion Aluminum should be plenty.

Ended up with the LPW deep 48re pan and DPC converter, thanks for the advice all.

Just got the case/pan etc back from being powdercoated.