Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   Drag Racing (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   9 second wall and advice to help bust through............ (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200695)

RacinDuallie 07-21-2018 12:28 PM

9 second wall and advice to help bust through............

2 Attachment(s)
A Good buddy of mine has his drag truck, it's built right. Has run numerous low 10's.

Based on knowing his build, he has the power with more on tap. Problem is every time he hits the track, his trans fluid filter gets plugged up, and looses line psi.

Trans gets torn down and inspected, finding NOTHING wrong internally.

Last converter had 4-5 passes on it before clutches welded together.

Fresh Converter, has slight rattle to it? Went to track for some hits, and once again plugged filter.

It's getting rather annoying.

From what I've seen, he goes to the line, builds boost, he says he watches boost til 20, bumps in and monkey foots pedal til light changes, might be leaving on 30-40psi.

Tried more timing, slight bump forward on rack, he has triples,13mm and 5x20's Hamilton head, block is built girdled and studded. I believe he's got it @ 32 degrees timing Weights gotta be close to 5500.lbs.
Trans cooler/fan in bed and functional.

What's the damned deal with getting past this wall??

RacinDuallie 07-21-2018 12:45 PM

Also would like to note since I first saw his short block build I have been advocating usage of Nitrous, which thus far has been ridiculed. He wants to do it on fuel.

He has been known to tip the hot can of additive in fuel cell which I retort as drug useage and not true pump fuel.:hehe:

I'm thinking a nice progressive 400 shot will get him his 9 sec slip.:clap:

Mark Nixon 07-21-2018 01:57 PM

Get away from the POS OEM design filter.

Mark.

RacinDuallie 07-21-2018 03:09 PM

2500 stall quad disc converter. Has the Anteater controlling trans, tried lock up late and early. Now it's set early locking up in first.....

RacinDuallie 07-21-2018 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Nixon (Post 2675429)
Get away from the POS OEM design filter.

Mark.

I can tell your glass is half full. :hehe:

kleann 07-21-2018 04:49 PM

is he running a homebuilt valve body or a name brand?

RacinDuallie 07-21-2018 04:54 PM

The valve body was changed to rule it out.

Mark Nixon 07-21-2018 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RacinDuallie (Post 2675444)
I can tell your glass is half full. :hehe:

No, it's only half empty. LOL

Mark.

1320Cummins 07-21-2018 05:06 PM

Is trans line pressure being monitored at launch? if so, whats the pressure reading?
Pressure holding steady at staging and through launch?

Is he using a spacer between the filter outlet and VB to get the filter deep into the sump?

RacinDuallie 07-21-2018 05:10 PM

He had line psi up to 250, adjusted it to 190-200. He is monitoring line psi......spacer comes with the pan pretty sure he runs it.

1320Cummins 07-21-2018 05:19 PM

Just reread first post. Now realizing contamination is coming from converter clutch... duh:bang

Is he running the 48re style sealed reaction shaft?

RacinDuallie 07-21-2018 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1320Cummins (Post 2675454)
Just reread first post. Now realizing contamination is coming from converter clutch... duh:bang

Is he running the 48re style sealed reaction shaft?

Yup. It is damned puzzling..... Pulls trans apart everytime, and everything looks fine!

Converters only lasting 1.5 miles @track. No street driving at all.

kleann 07-21-2018 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RacinDuallie (Post 2675448)
The valve body was changed to rule it out.

Guess that kinda answers my question. Certain modifications to the valve body can over pressurize the converter and make it fail quickly.

RacinDuallie 07-21-2018 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kleann (Post 2675457)
Guess that kinda answers my question. Certain modifications to the valve body can over pressurize the converter and make it fail quickly.

He has a turnbuckle setup to adjust psi....

RacinDuallie 07-21-2018 06:08 PM

Products | BD Diesel Performance
I suggested this^^^

kleann 07-21-2018 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RacinDuallie (Post 2675458)
He has a turnbuckle setup to adjust psi....

Not what I'm getting at. Converter pressure should be much less than line pressure, especially if he is at 200 psi line. Or it will balloon and fail.

Frequently Asked Questions

jasonc 07-21-2018 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kleann (Post 2675461)
Not what I'm getting at. Converter pressure should be much less than line pressure, especially if he is at 200 psi line. Or it will balloon and fail.

That's what I mentioned awhile back, what in the valve body controls total conv pressure?

RacinDuallie 07-21-2018 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kleann (Post 2675461)

One converter was opened up by the man who built it and said clutches welded, nothing at all about ballooning. Valve body was gone through and set by reputable diesel guy this latest go around. Same result, plugged filter, line psi loss. Very frustrating...

YOUNG GUNS15 07-22-2018 12:09 AM

What rpm is he getting 20-30psi boost during staging?

This is an area out of my knowledge range simply because I’ve never run 9’s. But the converter sounds like it may be dying during staging, other people have had problems with quad disk converters with big triples and loose stalls on high rpm mechanical trucks. This is second hand knowledge, but with high stalls and high rpm the converter is being hurt every time your on it trying to spool the chargers.

IMO he needs to call someone who has been there done that. A number of shops and companies have converters holding a lot more power than what this truck sounds like it will make. He should call firepunk, king speed, power driven, heck BD even might have a solution for him. Goerend has a new converter coming out too. He has lots of options, just needs to hit the phones and talk to some people. That’s where I’d start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smokinVE 07-22-2018 08:04 AM

Have the trans coolers been flushed since the first failure?