Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   Drag Racing (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Slicks or drag radials? (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198701)

SPEEDSHIFT 12-18-2017 09:27 AM

Slicks or drag radials?

Which would you prefer on a 10-11 sec truck? I still drive it on the street, (mainly to and from the track about 20 miles one way) but never in the rain. I can use my 20" wheels or buy some 17s to be able to run a cheaper tire.

So what do ya'll have experience with?

CorneliusRox 12-18-2017 09:57 AM

I think slicks are going to give you more performance than any drag radial.

Just now you have to trailer in (or swap on site), there's the cost of a second set of tires, and then the added chances for breaking axle shafts and input shafts because you're throwing more torque through them before breaking the tires loose.

IdahoRob 12-18-2017 12:17 PM

I haven't seen much difference in full slicks and a few different drag radials on 60' times over the years on my truck. The biggest thing seems to be if you blow off the radials on the launch they really go up in smoke. With slicks, they will still move you forward while spinning, thus maybe not losing the round.

If you are going to bracket race it, i'd say radials and keep the launch under control so not to have a chance to blow them off.

The drag radials give a better/safer feeling on the top end of the track also.

allan5oh 12-18-2017 12:47 PM

I was talking about this to a friend who does a lot of the 275 radial classes for cars. A true bias play slick is easier to set up and harder to spin. But a radial can 60 foot just as good and you will gain ET and MPH with the radial. It seems as though in the car world everyone is moving to radials with these being by far the favorite:

ET Street Radial Pro Wheels

SPEEDSHIFT 12-18-2017 02:54 PM

I think drag radials will be best... So which ones on a 17" wheel, as close to a 30" tire as possible?

305/45/17 M/T Drag radial?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/305-45-17-M...hW2yte&vxp=mtr

IdahoRob 12-18-2017 04:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The M/T Pros are amazing but will not last with any street use on a heavy truck. I ran M/T ET streets on my truck and they would last 3 seasons or so. I also Run ET streets on my street/strip car, These work fine on the street and have lasted 2 years of street driving and many, many 1/4 mile passes. They hook just fine also

Mudn_1 12-18-2017 04:19 PM

390/40 17 M&H. Ive had great luck with these.

Cflanery88 12-18-2017 08:59 PM

I’m currently running Nitto 420 street tires and I’m hoping to get some mid 10s runs on them and then probably will go to an 18” wheel and run the Hoosier DR2. They are cheaper and I have been hearing good things about them. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...f50a7b1317.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cflanery88 12-18-2017 09:14 PM

It’s either that or grind the rear calipers, and swap the fronts to run a 16” wheel and have a lot more options.

DieselArmy 01-07-2018 10:14 PM

I'm currently running 305/45/18 Mickey Thompson ET Street R's. I have yet to get to a track as I got them in the offseason but I've heard good things. Sub'd.

Breedsrt 01-08-2018 03:17 AM

Slicks or drag radials?

Danny with zombie killer puts a lot of miles on his Hoosier drag radials 2. That's what I also run. At the time I was looking they were cheaper than 17" Mickey Thompson's(idk if that's still the case). I cut low 1.5 60's with factory shocks(probably close to 80k miles on them) and 3 leafs with caltracs. I've done a couple 30mile cruises for the no prep events. Very minimal wear.

SPEEDSHIFT 01-08-2018 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breedsrt (Post 2651048)
Danny with zombie killer puts a lot of miles on his Hoosier drag radials 2. That's what I also run. At the time I was looking they were cheaper than 17" Mickey Thompson's(idk if that's still the case). I cut low 1.5 60's with factory shocks(probably close to 80k miles on them) and 3 leafs with caltracs. I've done a couple 30mile cruises for the no prep events. Very minimal wear.

Good to know, thank you Blaine.

"no prep events" I have seen those videos, you aint foolin me. :hehe:

SPEEDSHIFT 02-20-2018 01:51 PM

I am set on the 325/45/18 DR2s, but what wheel would be best - 18x9 or 18x12? The 18x12 would probably sit a little better, but im sure they are heavier and they are $400 more over the total cost...

imelmo 02-20-2018 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPEEDSHIFT (Post 2648633)
Which would you prefer on a 10-11 sec truck? I still drive it on the street, (mainly to and from the track about 20 miles one way) but never in the rain. I can use my 20" wheels or buy some 17s to be able to run a cheaper tire.

So what do ya'll have experience with?

Most people like to say slicks for the street, drag radials for the track. Having said that and being 4wd I love my 325/45R18 Hoosier drag radials and have no issues with either. Mine are on an 18x10 wheel.

imelmo 02-20-2018 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breedsrt (Post 2651048)

Guess I should've read the whole thread before posting, lol.

Yeah, I don't even bother changing mine unless I'm going on a long road trip with the truck. They wear surprisingly well for what they are. Any believe it or not aren't near as horrible as you'd think on a damp street either, although I certainly drive a lot slower with them on in those conditions.

SPEEDSHIFT 02-21-2018 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imelmo (Post 2657124)
Guess I should've read the whole thread before posting, lol.

Yeah, I don't even bother changing mine unless I'm going on a long road trip with the truck. They wear surprisingly well for what they are. Any believe it or not aren't near as horrible as you'd think on a damp street either, although I certainly drive a lot slower with them on in those conditions.

Do you leave your truck on jack stands? I figured I would just run the 420s in between races and sitting at the house. Im about ready to pull the trigger, I just need to decide on which wheels I want.