Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   EFI Live Tuning Discussion (Cummins) (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=267)
-   -   Rail Pressure to High (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197726)

5.9 09-12-2017 04:00 PM

Rail Pressure to High

Hey guys tuning question again. I have my rail pressure set to max out at WOT at 23,000 psi. I am having trouble with it going to 26k and 27k at only 65% throttle, and I don't know why it would do that. Does the rail pressure change due to ambient temp. or to elevation?? I live in Colorado and we are at 5,000 to 6,000ft elevation. Just a little stumped and don't want to blow an injector body. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated!! :nail:

06 DIESEL 09-13-2017 06:55 AM

Read this thread and check voltage on the FCA harness, that is where I found my issue after months of parts swapping.

P088 and P0251 - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

5.9 09-13-2017 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 06 DIESEL (Post 2635429)
Read this thread and check voltage on the FCA harness, that is where I found my issue after months of parts swapping.

Thank you I will look into this and see if that is the problem!! The CP3 is about 2 years old from Industrial so maybe it needs a new FCA.

Dom_c13b 09-13-2017 02:59 PM

Might need to adjust the PID controller for the pump control. If you don't have it already you should really upgrade to UDC pro so that you can control the pump better.

5.9 09-18-2017 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dom_c13b (Post 2635494)
Might need to adjust the PID controller for the pump control. If you don't have it already you should really upgrade to UDC pro so that you can control the pump better.

I am pretty new to the tuning world so what is the PID controller on UDC PRO??

Cummins6.7trip 09-18-2017 10:06 PM

Just out of curiosity did you try an scale the Fuel pressure sensor in your tuning, or just adjust the map itself to stop at 23 WOP

Cummins6.7trip 09-18-2017 10:10 PM

Also had similar issue with mine a year or so ago with rail pressure to high. I had bad fuel which was causing the fca stick open. After swapping pumps an 3 fca's later I finally realized bad fuel was causing it. But thanks to 06 Diesels thread It helped me find it.

5.9 09-19-2017 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cummins6.7trip (Post 2636024)
Just out of curiosity did you try an scale the Fuel pressure sensor in your tuning, or just adjust the map itself to stop at 23 WOP

ya I just changed the map on the pressure to stop at 23k. I think I just need to upgrade to UDC Pro and so if that will help

SixOhh 10-29-2017 10:28 AM

have you logged commanded RP v.s. actual?

at least that will tell you if its your tune or hard parts....

5.9 10-31-2017 02:54 PM

Actually I think I found the problem. The boost actuator sensor fooler from industrial injection when I got the phatshaft turbo went out on me. I think it was rubbing on the side of the motor or something but it doesn't have continuity anymore so I ordered a new one it should be here Friday. Hopefully that is the reason why it is not pulling any boost either and the rail pressure is sky rocketing. I will let you guys know when I get it on.

tylerltr450 11-03-2017 07:56 AM

are you running EFI or UDC? Also why are you using a boost fooler when you have tuning and can do anything you want?

Log actual vs commanded to see what is going on.

5.9 11-06-2017 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerltr450 (Post 2642695)
are you running EFI or UDC? Also why are you using a boost fooler when you have tuning and can do anything you want?

Log actual vs commanded to see what is going on.

I am running regular UDC not the PRO yet. This is not the boost fooler that goes up by the intake plenum it is down by the turbo on the exhaust side. I plugged it in yesterday and it is still doing the same thing. It is commanding 26,006psi and the actual is 26,112psi. I don't know why it would be doing that because I only command 23,000 psi on the tune that I wrote. I don't know if the computer is pulling from another one of the maps or what it is doing but it wont pull more then 35lbs of boost either when I was past 50 on the same tune a little while ago. Did I break something and it is just not throwing a code?? :nail:

5.9 11-06-2017 12:50 PM

I ordered a new FCA harness today so I will let you guys know if anything changes when I get that on. If anyone can think of anything else please let me know.

JWhite 11-06-2017 01:49 PM

If the ECM is commanding 26k then a new harness/ pigtail won't fix anything. Look at your multiplier tables in the tune (if you can see them, I'm not familiar with the UDC). If the rail pressure isn't overly high while cruising I wouldn't worry about it, more pressure = more power. 26k won't hurt a common rail.

5.9 11-06-2017 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWhite (Post 2643140)
If the ECM is commanding 26k then a new harness/ pigtail won't fix anything. Look at your multiplier tables in the tune (if you can see them, I'm not familiar with the UDC). If the rail pressure isn't overly high while cruising I wouldn't worry about it, more pressure = more power. 26k won't hurt a common rail.

Well the problem is that I am losing power. Whenever it started to get really high is when it stopped really pulling hard and now the boost wont go over 35 to 40 psi when I used to get over 50 lbs on the same tune.

JWhite 11-06-2017 07:18 PM

Check for leaks then.

Is your turbo gated? I'm confused how this fooler is set up, sorry.

Did it not always carry rail pressure this high? Or you just now started watching it?

5.9 11-07-2017 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWhite (Post 2643172)
Check for leaks then.

Is your turbo gated? I'm confused how this fooler is set up, sorry.

Did it not always carry rail pressure this high? Or you just now started watching it?

I've pressure checked the entire thing and it is all air tight......... No it has not had this kind of rail pressure. I was doing what it was told for a while haha. Yes it is an Industrial Injection Phat shaft 62/65 gated. The stock turbo's on the 04.5 to 07 had an electronic wastegate actuator so when you take the stock turbo and actuator off you have to put something in the plug or you will throw a code. Wastegate Fooler

I think I just need to upgrade to UDC PRO and see if I just can control it better. :bang

JWhite 11-07-2017 12:28 PM

Nah, I wouldn't blame it on the software 100%. Although it might be a good idea to upgrade, it ran correctly before.

Did you check the wastegate to make sure it's closing, and not opening too soon?

5.9 11-07-2017 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWhite (Post 2643248)
Nah, I wouldn't blame it on the software 100%. Although it might be a good idea to upgrade, it ran correctly before.

Did you check the wastegate to make sure it's closing, and not opening too soon?

I will try to check that this weekend and see when it cracks open.

5.9 11-13-2017 02:48 PM

WELL got the UDC pro all downloaded so the process begins of learning how to tune all over again with much more complicated tuning haha so if I decide to just give in and finally pay for someone to tune it who would be the best for that?? I really like everything Firepunk does but I don't know of anyone else.