1952 Double Decker London Bus- Cummins Swap

Yotadzl

I'm starting this project soon and am wondering if there is any interest for a build thread on here? My portion of the job is going to be taking a derelict that has been sitting for decades, and get it into running and driving condition. This will include engine and trans swap, axle swaps, chassis and engine wiring harnesses, and brake system. I will likely need some ideas and input along the way. Let me know if there is interest in a thread.

64b55c113da20dbd31853a50f3218b1e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This should be Interesting.whats the end goal for the bus?

The owner is converting it into a food truck. He needs it to be reliable and daily driveable. It has old air brakes, and he wants it converted to hydraulic so he doesn't need a special license to drive it. The engine is an oddball 9.6L naturally aspirated AEC diesel engine. It has a Wilson Pre-Select Epicyclic Transmission. We came to the conclusion that trying to get the original engine and transmission running reliably would be extremely time consuming and expensive, plus no one knows how to work on the transmission. So the plan is to swap everything out of a mid-range Ford F-800. Should be interesting indeed.

I can't help but think that a mid-to-late '90s F-700/750 Ferd, or FL70 Freightbreaker, would be the perfect donor for this project.

Mark.

I can't help but think that a mid-to-late '90s F-700/750 Ferd, or FL70 Freightbreaker, would be the perfect donor for this project.

Mark.

Great minds think alike... I got a 99 Ford F800, 5.9 Cummins and 5 speed Allison. Hydraulic brakes. I think it’ll work well. The biggest issue I’m trying to figure out right now is steering. Because it’s right hand drive.

326ec7a756d9658b69cfe4330b9ebe0e.jpg

“Little” Cummins doesn’t look too bad sitting in its new home. A little tight on width, but no firewall mods were needed. On to building engine mounts!

This will be cool! Love a good build thread... The fact it involves another area of interest for me - foodie - is even better.

Is it a leyland bus?
I’ve seen coe guys use gears and chains to move their steering around, so that may be something to look at?

Is it a leyland bus?
I’ve seen coe guys use gears and chains to move their steering around, so that may be something to look at?

It's an AEC RL series low height bus- but is still almost 14 feet tall. I had that thought on the steering, but not sure about legality? I think I may be able to swap the knuckles and steering arms around on the Ford front axle. Haven't got to that yet though.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I will try to keep updated pictures as I go. My first opinion question- I need to install a new radiator. I have limited area because of the way the cab/frame is oriented. I keep looking at the universal 31x19 aluminum radiators, but can't decide if that is going to be big enough? It's about 3 inches shorter than a 2nd gen dodge radiator, which I know cools more than 190 HP. Any experiences or opinions to help me out?

A smaller radiator is fine.
The Dodge radiators are designed to cool effectively, while the engine puts out Max hp in desert conditions for long periods of time.

Like towing a 20k 5th wheel camper, into a 40 mph headwind, at Max boost, and Max egt, for 5 hours, in death valley.

You should be fine, pay attention to the cooling dam setup, that helps a lot.

A smaller radiator is fine.
The Dodge radiators are designed to cool effectively, while the engine puts out Max hp in desert conditions for long periods of time.

Like towing a 20k 5th wheel camper, into a 40 mph headwind, at Max boost, and Max egt, for 5 hours, in death valley.

You should be fine, pay attention to the cooling dam setup, that helps a lot.

Kinda my thoughts as well. The majority of the time this thing will be just moving around town, not working too hard. And the intercooler won’t be mounted in front of it, there’s no AC, and the trans cooler is external. Although I know these Allison’s get pretty hot pulling grades, so that is a concern.

d4c09feac0e3ff0363f29bd9e59fb913.jpg
e7a209fbb364969405e33784c91739a5.jpg
66b9038bc2e2e281324318d01787ddb0.jpg

Few pics of the old radiator. It’s integral in the grill, the end tanks are big cast units and the core bolts in between. Too far gone to reuse unfortunately, would have been cool.

Making some more progress. Figured out how to mount charge air cooler, pulled harness out of donor and started to lay it out, and working on figuring out how to mount brake master/booster. The cab lay out certainly adds some challenges.
6ce73fb2415cb8b1b0f7dc9509ffb03e.jpg
fd74102356795f2a9882404e6daf8023.jpg
2ecd36599788d014cc82d479346ce398.jpg
01129ffc3549a4c44cefeb1007829d1c.jpg
d40c771b3dfd8a75ae00312e9c88cbca.jpg

Back