Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   94-98 2nd Gen. 12V (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Hydroboost front line fitting (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194288)

97rada 01-05-2017 08:18 PM

Hydroboost front line fitting

I did a hydro boost conversion on my 95 and found the front line fitting is something oddball. Does anyone have a fitting or know the fitting size? Thanks for your time.

kawi600 01-06-2017 05:26 AM

I just bought the high pressure line that goes with the hydro setup. If youre making the line yourself Im not sure what it is. I think you can get those power steering fittings by themselves as well. Theres a stub line for the return that they sell with one. was pretty cheap.
hydro is an improvement, but my truck still has crappy brakes. Needs an oversize rotor.

97rada 01-06-2017 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kawi600 (Post 2594065)
I just bought the high pressure line that goes with the hydro setup. If youre making the line yourself Im not sure what it is. I think you can get those power steering fittings by themselves as well. Theres a stub line for the return that they sell with one. was pretty cheap.

hydro is an improvement, but my truck still has crappy brakes. Needs an oversize rotor.

I should restate, it's the front brake line in the hydro boost that I am missing. I have all the lines needed

f6jbob 01-06-2017 10:35 AM

Quote:

The 3500 caliper piston is larger than the 2500. Bolts right up.

biggy238 01-06-2017 11:44 AM

Quote:

Do you have new lines on the calipers? This made mine a completely different animal braking.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

97rada 01-06-2017 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f6jbob (Post 2594108)
The 3500 caliper piston is larger than the 2500. Bolts right up.

Help that much

WAYNES WORLD 01-06-2017 07:30 PM

Hydroboost front line fitting

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97rada (Post 2594019)
I did a hydro boost conversion on my 95 and found the front line fitting is something oddball. Does anyone have a fitting or know the fitting size? Thanks for your time.

97rada,

While I was playing with my change, I cut the line & used the fitting when I did mine. I did several lines before I did my Line Loc correctly.
f6bob is right about changing the caliper.
I think you are talking about the fitting at the frame-------

WAYNES WORLD

97rada 01-06-2017 07:40 PM

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2017...f7a72086b2.jpg
I am referring to the hole that doesn't have a fitting in it. The front fitting in the master cylinder

kawi600 01-06-2017 10:28 PM

I re-used that fitting too, when I did mine. Do you have a local pick-n-pull place you can go to, and just cut off that line? No idea what it is either. Youd have to match it up to something at the auto parts place.
If there are enough threads exposed you can maybe take a diameter measurement with calipers, and get an idea of the thread pitch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97rada (Post 2594071)
I should restate, it's the front brake line in the
hydro boost that I am missing. I have all the lines needed

Ive got the 8800lb GVWR axle on mine, I thought the calipers I got specific to that axle were already the same as the 3500? Ill have a look next time I go there. If it is a larger caliper, I might need the master that goes with it.

WAYNES WORLD 01-07-2017 12:17 AM

97rada,

I had my lines made for me at the local hydraulic line store. They made it to the length I needed. Hope that helps.
I thought you were referring to the brake lines.

WAYNES WORLD

f6jbob 01-07-2017 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97rada (Post 2594132)
Help that much

IIRC there is a noticeable difference. Go to your auto parts store. Measure the OD dimension of both pistons. If you're good at math figure out the difference in area and psi. Also the 3500 resevoir (spelling) will fit on 2500 master cylinder. I don't remember if piston in MC is larger or not. Probably not that hard to find out. YMMV

97rada 01-08-2017 05:27 PM

The front line on the master cylinder is 12mmx1.0. The rear seems to be 10x1.0 but the thread engaged isn't perfect

kawi600 01-09-2017 12:51 AM

I have a feeling the master that goes with the truck that came with hydro and still has the single piston caliper, is going to be larger since it has the extra assist.
If I remember right there was a hydro writeup on pirate4x4 where someone made note of the master piston diameters.
I still dont think that will help braking much on trucks with 35's maybe even 33's. I cant get mine to lock up at all, the wheel size overwhelms the brake rotor in terms of torque.
You really need oversize rotors and a larger clamping area to keep up with larger wheels, but theres no real options on that older dana 60. You can swap outer knuckles from a 3rd gen and use their larger parts and aftermarket offerings.
an OBS ford hub swap can get you a slightly larger rotor and 2 piston calipers.
Hope that helps you out with your setup if you have problems with braking like I did.