Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   Diesel Performance Converters (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   New triple disk, how to tell when fully seated? (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199175)

Conway 01-31-2018 09:40 AM

New triple disk, how to tell when fully seated?

3 Attachment(s)
I just rebuilt my 48re with billet tcs input, intermediate, output and I purchased a new DPC triple disk. I am having a hard time getting it to fully seat according to the ATSG it should rest .75" inside the case. Mine is flush with the case but the lugs are 3/8" protruding. I have tried for over an hour even putting the trans upright. I took the pump off and the pump fully seats, but the input does not allow the converter to fully seat. After trying forever and everywhere being closed I decided to install the trans anyway and the converter does spin freely and does not contact the flex plate.

Justappumped24v 01-31-2018 09:49 AM

So long as you CANNOT for your hand between the Convertor and the bellhousing you are good to go. And as you described once installed the Convertor should spin freely you are set. On a stock Convertor the body sits flush but the welded bungs protrude from the case, same concept on a DPC it’s just the billet cover is not the same profile as a stocker

Conway 01-31-2018 10:10 AM

Okay thank you I am not able to fit my hand between the converter and the case, the converter does spin freely as well. But I am still a little concerned

Justappumped24v 01-31-2018 11:15 AM

See how the recess of the front cover is flush with the bell housing.... it’s seated. Measure the stud Convertor welded bungs vs the billet cover protrusion they are identical. The manual is referring to the Convertor face

jasonc 01-31-2018 11:47 AM

If the converter spins freely after it's installed your good to go, if not fully splined it would have bound up. Be sure to check your converter to flywheel display, especially if your running an aftermarket flexplate, and the converter itself.

jasonc 01-31-2018 11:48 AM

That's spins freely after the trans is installed.

Conway 01-31-2018 12:00 PM

Yes I have an aftermarket flex plate as well.

Thank you everyone Im gonna just go with it

Chris Tobin 01-31-2018 12:06 PM

Call Phil at DPC to verify before starting...

jasonc 01-31-2018 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Tobin (Post 2654393)
Call Phil at DPC to verify before starting...

Totally unnecessary, if it spins after the trans is bolted up it's 100% fully splined and good to go. I'm sure Phil is busy enough, or seems that way every time I've called him.

Chris Tobin 01-31-2018 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonc (Post 2654397)
Totally unnecessary, if it spins after the trans is bolted up it's 100% fully splined and good to go. I'm sure Phil is busy enough, or seems that way every time I've called him.

True, but it seems that this is the first Rodeo for the OP and I'm sure Phil would rather talk him through the install tech specs rather than covering a problem under warranty or explaining why it isn't covered under warranty...

A call would be cheap and easy insurance...

Conway 01-31-2018 03:06 PM

After talking with Phil at DPC he told me its fully seated. I should expect to see about a fingers width outside the bell housing. Also once I go to bolt the converter to the flex plate typically you will have to use a pry bar to pull the converter back to the flex plate, roughly 1/4".