Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   7.3 and 6.9 IDI (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Highest horse IDI (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47782)

CoalMiner_PSD 02-10-2009 04:38 PM

Highest horse IDI

Has anyone have any proof of a highley modded IDI that has decent hp for what it is?
Do they know what is done to the motor?

Hyde 02-10-2009 08:24 PM

Other than the mythical 900hp DPS truck, There are a couple guys at about 300rwhp over at oilburners.net

Ascholting 02-10-2009 09:55 PM

I think the neighbor has one right around 800!!!!!*nx*:umno:

Bobus 02-10-2009 11:13 PM

My '86 6.9l was Dyno'd around the 300hp Mark. Its Bored, Banks Turbo'd, '94 IDI Turbo Injectors & IP, IP Turned Up, I forget what else was done to the engine. I'm Planning on doin the 6.2l Gov Spring, Thinkin a NOS Shot, and a Intercooler (With some special plumbing and features)

jdc753 02-11-2009 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobus (Post 608301)
My '86 6.9l was Dyno'd around the 300hp Mark. Its Bored, Banks Turbo'd, '94 IDI Turbo Injectors & IP, IP Turned Up, I forget what else was done to the engine. I'm Planning on doin the 6.2l Gov Spring, Thinkin a NOS Shot, and a Intercooler (With some special plumbing and features)

Did you drop the compression ratio any when you bored it out? Seems some Mahle 19.5:1 ceramic coated pistons would do nicely on a truck built up like that. Course some '94 turbo idi rods would be a nice addition too. How much boost are you getting out of the banks?

CoalMiner_PSD 02-11-2009 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ascholting (Post 608184)
I think the neighbor has one right around 800!!!!!*nx*:umno:

damn it!!! dont let the secret out!!!

Bobus 02-11-2009 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdc753 (Post 608547)
Did you drop the compression ratio any when you bored it out? Seems some Mahle 19.5:1 ceramic coated pistons would do nicely on a truck built up like that. Course some '94 turbo idi rods would be a nice addition too. How much boost are you getting out of the banks?

I cant remember at this point if the Compression Ratio was Changed or not.. I bought the Motor from a guy who was buildin a '86 F250 but ran oughta money, and he made me a smokin deal that i couldn't resist... I agree a set of '94 IDI Rods would be nice...

I'm not sure what i'm getting for Boost at the moment..my guage doesn't restet to 0 so i'm thinkin its off too start with

CoalMiner_PSD 02-12-2009 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdc753 (Post 608547)

alright thats good to know, Ill have to get some 7.3 turbo injectors, and a quidk shot, and i am thinking a port and polish since i have to take the heads off.

jdc753 02-12-2009 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoalMiner_PSD (Post 610500)
alright thats good to know, Ill have to get some 7.3 turbo injectors, and a quidk shot, and i am thinking a port and polish since i have to take the heads off.

That should be a pretty good start. While doing all that get yourself some ARP studs for it, I think the kit is around $240 or something. Ford never learned their lesson on TTY head bolts :bang If you drop the compression with some pistons I think 19.5:1 is about as low as these motors like while still being daily drivers. Cold starts will start to really suffer as you get down around 17-18 and below.

CoalMiner_PSD 02-12-2009 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdc753 (Post 610684)
That should be a pretty good start. While doing all that get yourself some ARP studs for it, I think the kit is around $240 or something. Ford never learned their lesson on TTY head bolts :bang If you drop the compression with some pistons I think 19.5:1 is about as low as these motors like while still being daily drivers. Cold starts will start to really suffer as you get down around 17-18 and below.

Yeah its not a daily driver anymore. Just used as a puller and what not. The pump is cranked as far as it will go with out running away. and we are fabbing up some tube headers for it so we can move the turbo in top of the motor. Stud will be a must once we get the turbo to successfully lite. the most boost we have had was 5 lbs. We have plenty of fuel to lite it, its just that we were in a hurry and used flex pipe that was way to long for the drive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEWAh-yD07s

look at 5:22 thats our 6.9 let you know our fueling.

jdc753 02-13-2009 09:48 AM

wow yea thats got some fuel going through it lol. I think 12psi or so is about the max before the bolts start stretching, plus if I remember right the bolts themselves were pretty expensive through Ford and the studs didn't come out to being much more money. The only headers I have seen on idi's were meant for N/A use and were pretty much like long tube gasser headers, would love to see some of the pics of what you come up with. What size turbo are you trying to run on it?

hesutton 02-13-2009 02:37 PM

According to Diesel Power's article on the Ford IDI's: 1200hp.

Quote:

Think idi can't make big horsepower?Back in the early 1990s, max Lagod of Hypermax put together an extraordinary engine package for a customer yearning to compete in sled pulling. With nothing holding him back, Lagod designed a 7.3L that included two Garrett turbos (which were state-of-the-art then but probably not manufactured anymore), a Bosch inline P-pump, custom injectors, a fabricated intake and exhaust manifolds, and slight cylinder head work.

Surprisingly, much of the factory engine components were retained, such as the crankshaft, block, and pistons-although the connecting rods were heat-treated. Compression on the engine was 15:1, which called for ether-assisted startups. Soon after entering this wild IDI into area-sanctioned sled pulling events, the engine was banned. Not to be discouraged, the owner turned to drag racing. Rumor has it that the truck graced with this 7.3L beast put out 1,200 hp and ran quarter-mile times in the 9-second range!

All of that power came with a price though, as the engine was infamous for its unreliability. Apparently, the engine block flexed so much on several occasions that the rear of the engine block broke off and required the utilization of rubber freeze plugs!
Heath

jdc753 02-13-2009 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hesutton (Post 611594)
According to Diesel Power's article on the Ford IDI's: 1200hp.

Heath

Its scary looking at the pics of that article and recognizing a couple of the trucks from TDS :)

Here is a picture that is supposed to be of that 1200HP idi
http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/8646/ad601un3.jpg

CoalMiner_PSD 02-13-2009 07:10 PM

wow, that thing looks crazy. We have a garret, but we are not sure what it really came from. It has a 1.17 a/r exhaust, and i think maybe a .83 intake. dont quote me but ill have to look and maybe get some pics. the way our headers are going to run is up and over the valve covers and placeing a t-3 flange over toward the rear of the motor. Its gonna be a patience test but it will pay off. But studs are on the way, along with gaskets. Does any one know were to get a good set of 94 idi turbo injectors, and whats the added hp, compared to stock 6.9 rating. but as soon as i get some numbers on the turbo ill let yall know

turboman1 02-14-2009 11:11 AM

Wow if that is a idi motor in that truck that must have cost some big dollars to make it like that, none-the-less that thing is awsome!!!!.

Adam

Bobus 02-14-2009 06:25 PM

I know you can get them from DPS.. Theres a few other places on the Web to get them.. I got mine from a old '94 IDI engine that We had with cracked block.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Turbo...Q5fAccessories

CoalMiner_PSD 02-15-2009 11:06 PM

now for another one, what kinda of p-pump would a guy use for something like that?

Bobus 02-15-2009 11:49 PM

I have no clue on the P-Pump..

CoalMiner_PSD 02-16-2009 01:38 PM

Probably one of those things that if your gonna use a p-pump might as well be a 7.3 di motor.

Hyde 02-17-2009 12:47 PM

I would think it would be easier to make a p-pump work on the IDI being as it is already mechanically injected.