Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   F1 Diesel (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   F1 Zinc additive? (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49952)

RonA 03-04-2009 07:34 AM

F1 Zinc additive?

I've been trying to get some of Don's Zinc additive. If any dealers have any and could pm me a number so i can order, I would appreciate it.

triton 03-04-2009 07:40 AM

bsmith 03-04-2009 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonA (Post 634140)
I've been trying to get some of Don's Zinc additive. If any dealers have any and could pm me a number so i can order, I would appreciate it.

isnt it ZDDP?

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....~P9.95~~~~~~~F

http://eastwood.resultspage.com/sear...&submit=Search

RonA 03-04-2009 07:50 AM

That is what I have been buying. With shipping, it's a bit pricey. Locally, it's $16.95 for 4 oz.

bsmith 03-04-2009 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonA (Post 634148)
That is what I have been buying. With shipping, it's a bit pricey. Locally, it's $16.95 for 4 oz.

ahh i see. good luck in your search.

DrSpeed 03-04-2009 10:06 AM

what's this do?

RonA 03-04-2009 12:21 PM

I'll just buy some more of the little bottles online and hope the larger bottles from F1 become available.

05qcctd4x4 03-04-2009 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrSpeed (Post 634274)
what's this do?

From one of the links above:

It's a well-known fact among engine rebuilders and mechanics, older engines especially performance engines prior to 1988, that have flat tappet setups required a well-known oil additive called ZDDP. The additive is made up of phosphorous, sulfur and zinc. By using the proper amount of these three chemicals, it makes ZDDP. This additive has been the most effective extreme pressure additive found in quality motor oil for almost 70 years. ZDDP is a surface modifier. It modifies bearing and journal surface characteristics to prevent metal-to-metal contact. Under the right conditions of heat and pressure, the zinc in the ZDDP actually plates over the contact surface and provides a sacrificial coating. As it breaks down, it dissipates back into the oil solution and remains in suspension until the right conditions arise and the process starts over again. This reduces the tendency of parts to scuff and gall under heavy-loaded boundary lubrication situations.

Signal 73 03-04-2009 09:18 PM

wonder if this is worth using even without a big cam

Big Swole 03-05-2009 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Signal 73 (Post 634889)
wonder if this is worth using even without a big cam

Heck, I would!! Even if you don't have a new build...

I was given this F1 formula ZDDP by Don for my build....I used his Billet Steel H2 cam and tappets....Of course I had my block line bored and cam journal bearings installed in all 7 holes too...

I gonna used his stuff for the live of my build!!! After the initial bottle , he says you can use at least 2 ounces per gallon of oil for the rest of the time!

TravisG 03-05-2009 11:59 PM

Will this stuff help even on an old motor? I know RonA has a 92, but I wasn't sure if he built a new motor.

Soup Nazi 03-21-2009 12:30 PM

busy busy

We have been so busy since the middle of December that many of our new projects are getting delayed. The additive blending and distribution included. We were going on 40 straight days without a day off, but finally we had to break down and take last Tuesday off for some relaxation.

I apologize for the wait times. We have expanded our square footage 3 times this year and have some prospective new employees we are looking hard at hiring to ease the backlogs.

For the time being we are blending the additive one bottle at a time for sale with the Billet cam line. Rest assured the additive production will increase in the coming months.

It adds over 100,000 parts per million of ZDDP!!!!!!!! to your sump. The highest in the business. It comes in 1 qt bottles and is blended with a very high quality "green" in color oil anti wear carrier. The highest quality stuff. This is a huge investment for us. I hope it sells or I will have drums of additive, ZDDP, and mixing equipment for nothing.

Recent lab testing has confirmed the levels of ZDDP that are added from each QT.

After cam break in, you only need 2 oz per gallon of sump oil.

Soup Nazi 03-21-2009 12:39 PM

Day off

1 Attachment(s)
Had to post a great picture of my youngest son on our day off. LOL

He looks happy eh????

RonA 03-21-2009 12:50 PM

So 6 oz of zinc juice with 3 gallons of the new Delo 400. I read somewhere that the zinc level goes down over time. I change every 2500 miles or so, do i need to add a bit more at say the 1/2 way point(1250 miles) to keep it at at consistant level?

RonA

Soup Nazi 03-21-2009 12:57 PM

There is so much additive ( ZDDP ) in the mixture that adding any more really is not needed. It does deplete, but not enough to make much difference at the levels it starts at.

High detergency oils deplete it faster chemically, but still not enough at your oil change intervals, IMO.

For break-in: Use fresh oil and replace one of the qts with the entire bottle of additive. After that: 2 oz per QT, not gallon. I will edit the post above to reflect that.

Jim Fulmer 03-21-2009 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soup Nazi (Post 654217)
Had to post a great picture of my youngest son on our day off. LOL

He looks happy eh????

.....and he'll likely always remember it! Time with kids is valuable and it molds them.

Jim

Soup Nazi 03-21-2009 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soup Nazi (Post 654214)
We have been so busy since the middle of December that many of our new projects are getting delayed. The additive blending and distribution included. We were going on 40 straight days without a day off, but finally we had to break down and take last Tuesday off for some relaxation.

I apologize for the wait times. We have expanded our square footage 3 times this year and have some prospective new employees we are looking hard at hiring to ease the backlogs.

For the time being we are blending the additive one bottle at a time for sale with the Billet cam line. Rest assured the additive production will increase in the coming months.

It adds over 100,000 parts per million of ZDDP!!!!!!!! to your sump. The highest in the business. It comes in 1 qt bottles and is blended with a very high quality "green" in color oil anti wear carrier. The highest quality stuff. This is a huge investment for us. I hope it sells or I will have drums of additive, ZDDP, and mixing equipment for nothing.

Recent lab testing has confirmed the levels of ZDDP that are added from each QT.

After cam break in, you only need 2 oz per QT of sump oil.

I had to do what I could to edit the incorrect information in the post above. The mixture for after break in is: 2 oz per quart of oil in the sump. Not 2 oz per gallon.

:doh:

Big Swole 03-21-2009 01:17 PM

I use the F1 ZDDP additive...I love the fact that it's in there protecting my New Build!!!

I just changed the oil again after I ran a qt. in my break-in run.....I put a whole new qt. in with this one as well....

Totally worth the money for the extra protection..We all spend WAY too much on these things Not to run this stuff every oil change!!! I'm going to!!

J7 DIESEL 03-21-2009 01:23 PM

Don, I know that you do alot for me here in Stephenville and its appreciated. Is your new product like whats in schaeffers 15w40? Thanks again.
Jason

slowgo 03-21-2009 08:57 PM

Where can I get some of this stuff ?