Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   Drag Racing (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Must haves for the truck/trailer??? (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76084)

Dalpilot 01-14-2010 10:56 AM

Must haves for the truck/trailer???

OK, getting close to hitting the track. What are some "must haves" that are easily forgotten for the truck/trailer? The obvious stuff I get, Jack, Jack stands, Tools, ETC, but what things have you added after needing it?

morkable 01-14-2010 11:03 AM

I find Tim that i never seem to have the right tool,, so I am slowly building 2 complete sets of hand tools 1 for my shop, and 1 for the truck.

Also you should bring a piece of plywood to put under the jack stands, alot of tracks wont let you use jack stands unless you have some wood under them.

I also like to bring a small generator with me too.. helps to run lights and what not

Dustin_Bentz 01-14-2010 11:31 AM

It's all the little stuff you think you'll never need at the track that bites you in the butt. For example, electrical tools, connectors, wiring stuff, etc. The dragster had a habit of running great in the garage, and in the pit during warm up, however, when it'd hit the track, electrical gremlins would come from out of nowhere.

Like I said, it's always the stuff you think you'll never need. The best habit, like said above is to have two separate sets of tools; one for your garage and one for your trailer, that way you won't be moving tools from one place to another and forget them when you head to the track.

And ALWAYS have spares; if you're running nitrous, have extra jets, bottles, etc.

Finally, and MOST important of all; the BBQ and Beer. (that's as important as the racecar itself).

Blowby 01-14-2010 12:39 PM

http://www.gosmachinery.com/photo/pr...iler-Winch.jpg :poke:

JFlagg 01-14-2010 12:51 PM

Extra rain gear.... everytime I've went to the racetrack its rained weather it was forecasted or not, not kidding! For your sake, hope I never come to watch you race LOL

1lowdiesel 01-14-2010 12:52 PM

air compressor or an air pig, duct tape, zip ties, like dustin said a full aray of electrical parts including extra fuses, extra misc bolts, tap and die set, heat wrap, either plywood or some 2x6s, extra yoke and driveshaft lol

IdahoRob 01-14-2010 12:59 PM

Chairs, boost/jump box, zip ties, boost, npt plugs and fittings, garden sprayer (cool down intercooler), log book. Just a few things off the top of my head.

Twisted Shifter 01-14-2010 01:25 PM

couple feet of misc. size hoses, catch pan, extra trans fluid, oil, good flashlight, cause the generator will not start when you really need it. Extra straps, bungee cords, funnel, rags. I'm sure I will think of other things.

joefarmer 01-14-2010 01:30 PM

Hose, tow strap, turbo clamps, intercooler boots, water, extra water.

f6jbob 01-14-2010 01:55 PM

Something to put out a fire. :Cheer:

Dalpilot 01-14-2010 02:26 PM

All good. I removed a couple comments since I want it to be a serious thread......well as serious as it can be on Comp D.

haloman 01-14-2010 02:30 PM

Extra fluids in case of a leak. Its also good to carry a few parts for the tow rig in the trailer.

That Better?

Dalpilot 01-14-2010 03:10 PM

Thanks, yes, better. LOL

oldestof11 01-14-2010 03:22 PM

Grab a extra air tank. Very useful when the truck needs some air and you dont want to drag the whole dang compressor out. Also, get a bigger compressor, one with a 30-50 gallon tank. Cant have too much air.

Twisted Shifter 01-14-2010 03:32 PM

The big thing is to have a "Macgyver" box. Hose clamps, electrical tape, Duct tape, ether, zip ties, misc fittings etc. Must have the bag/box of tricks.

JFlagg 01-14-2010 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dalpilot (Post 977560)
All good. I removed a couple comments since I want it to be a serious thread......well as serious as it can be on Comp D.

Was wondering what happened... was all said in good humor :D

But in all seriousness... definitely a portable air tank or three. I know how you drag racers like to adjust your tire pressure all the time. :D And I prefer the electric equivilant to pnuematic tools. Alot easier to drag an extension cord around than an air hose IMO Or better yet, cordless.

Extra lights too... shop lights, flashlights, little LED lights that clip to your hat... never fails, I always end up working on something or loading it in the dark. :doh:

Big Blue24 01-14-2010 03:35 PM

When I used to go to the sand dunes all the time, all it took to keep everything running was: WD-40 for sticky parts that need to move, Duct Tape for moving parts that need to stick, a crescent wrench: one size fits all, and a good pair of vice grips for all those rounded-off bolts, allen heads, etc.

DieselWrencher 01-14-2010 03:55 PM

Extra V-band clamps for turbos, an extra CAC boot and clamps, and everything already mentioned. It seems you always need something you don't have.

JFlagg 01-14-2010 04:16 PM

At this rate, just build another truck to scavenge spare parts off of... basically thats what you'll have to do if you listen to every post in this thread LOL

syrupdawg 01-14-2010 04:31 PM

brake parts cleaner...cause if you have an oil leak its your best friend