Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   1500 EcoDiesel (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=318)
-   -   Bought my wife a 14 ecodiesel (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198955)

coorsman2005 01-13-2018 03:26 AM

Bought my wife a 14 ecodiesel

Hey guys found a super clean 14 eco. Bought the Truck for my wife so we can ditch the Tahoe.

After some reading getting it ready to do my servicing so I know everything is correct. I learned something. The trans filter is made in the pan and it all has to be replaced. Well I’m going to be ordering the ppe pan with replaceable filters.

Something else I noticed when watching a video how to service the trans. In the video the guy points out a temp bypass valve mid ways in the cooler lines. This just seems like a trans killer to me when it fails. It’s supposed to return the fluid back to the trans until the fluid hits 160 degrees. Then it opens up and flows to the cooler. Personally I’m debating removing it and just putting lines at where the valve is. What’s wrong with the fluid flowing when it’s cold just like the old vehicles.

In my opinion it kinda seems like the check ball that is supposed to keep the fluid in the cooler in the 48re and other mopar tranny’s. That we drill out cause the ball can get stuck and burn the trans up.

Let’s here the thoughts on this.

Also the truck will be getting deleted in the near future using calibrated addiction tuning. Prolly just put 30hp tune cause just doing it to lose the emissions not worried about power at all.

The last thing what engine oil are you guys running.

Sorry for the long post but let’s hear your thoughts.

06 DIESEL 01-13-2018 06:30 AM

Ram issued a service bulletin in August of 2016 telling all dealers to use Rotella T6 5-40 in the ecodiesel trucks effective imeadeately. This is what I run in mine.

I have 123k on mine now, have changed the trans fluid twice and never changed the filter, but I did crack the drain plug this last time so I will need at least a plug. The filter in the pan is lifetime according to Ram, unless there is a failure.

Trans fluid I use Valvoline ATF from Wal-Mart, it is about $18 a gallon, vs the $15 a quart from the dealer. The Valvoline meets Ram specs, no need to buy the expensive crap at the dealer.

Look at the end of this thread Dodge 1500 EcoDiesel - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together for more knowledge on issues I and other have had with their trucks. When you do the delete, make sure to take the freaking flex pipe off and cap it at the turbo housing. If you don't it will break and cause a leak.

I also outlined a few helpful hints in that thread, read up and learn.

Enjoy the Ecodiesel, they are a great vehicle, so far for me anyway.

coorsman2005 01-13-2018 06:24 PM

Great I will definitely read up on that

coorsman2005 01-13-2018 06:42 PM

Well it seems to be mostly minor problems

Mooner1 01-14-2018 06:22 AM

We loved (and sorely miss at times) our '14 EcoD. Between it's versatility, efficiency and being an optioned-up work truck (tradesman, vynyl flooring, ram-boxes, tow-package, etc) my family got more "utility" out of that truck then any other vehicle we have ever owned.
One time, the whole exhaust system just fell off..hehe. To remedy the situation it received a PPEI 60hp/150ft lb "race" tune, Edge CTS, half and half Flo-Pro/MBRP exhaust system,(3" Flo-Pro Turbo back to a previously installed 3.5" MBRP dpf back system). Those mods gave that little motor a whole new personality, (read Dr.Jeckyl and Mr.Hyde), it sounded amazing, and got even better fuel economy 30+ hand calculated mpg if one behaved. I used Lubrication Engineers mono-lec 5-40 almost exclusively as soon as the factory fill was dumped. Only odd thing I recall with that truck is that the motor "liked" its oil level right at the add mark. If I filled it to the full mark it would use it up in about a week or so..right down to the add mark and then just stop right there. If I filled it up to just the add mark it would never use a drop of oil between changes. Keep the fuel filter changed every 2-3 oil changes and it'll be happy. Great truck. Hope you have great luck with yours.

coorsman2005 01-18-2018 09:24 PM

So far the wife loves it. I personally haven’t rode or drive it much

mfsuper90 01-19-2018 09:44 PM

I’ve been wondering about these trucks. Some say junk, others love them. Saw one at a dealer locally. They don’t look too bad

99GreenCummins 01-20-2018 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfsuper90 (Post 2652851)
I’ve been wondering about these trucks. Some say junk, others love them. Saw one at a dealer locally. They don’t look too bad

Sharp one sitting at family Ford. Trying to get Aimee to trade in the fusion on it.

mfsuper90 01-21-2018 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99GreenCummins (Post 2652923)
Sharp one sitting at family Ford. Trying to get Aimee to trade in the fusion on it.

That’s the one I saw. Good luck getting her to trade the fusion :hehe:

smokincrail 01-21-2018 06:51 PM

Most modern transmissions use a temperature bypass. Warm transmissions are more efficient than cold ones. No different than a thermostat on an engine.

coorsman2005 01-24-2018 08:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 68939

Here’s my wife’s crappy picture. It had a camper shell on the back and a deck tool box. That we removed and put a tri fold on

wideopen 01-24-2018 09:01 AM

My Wife loves hers She didn't want it at first(She has always had a Car) now I can't get her out of it.

I like it a lot also, rides and drives great, good fuel millage and plenty of daily driver power.

After looking at the PPE Pan I may order one and try it?

coorsman2005 01-24-2018 09:15 AM

I got the exhaust ordered and egr delete. Should be ordering the tuning in the next cpl wks. I’m just doing the 30hp tune.

wideopen 01-24-2018 10:15 AM

Who's tunes> PPEI or GDE?

coorsman2005 01-25-2018 06:17 PM

Calibrated addiction

wideopen 01-26-2018 11:58 AM

I don't guess I knew they were doing Eco Tuning?

I went with GDE, for the fact that they have the option of tuning an ECM and sending it to me so the truck isn't down for days waiting on an ECM.

coorsman2005 01-27-2018 07:27 AM

That would be nice. I thought about buying an ecm but dang there high.

mikmaze 01-27-2018 08:33 AM

I debated getting one, but decided with my trips north, I cant risk another gell issue, but dang was the decision tough.

coorsman2005 04-02-2018 09:45 PM

We’ll trucks is doing great. I bought everything for the full deletes. But just waiting to get the truck tuned so I’m not down so long.

On another note has anyone had the dusty cab issue

coorsman2005 07-28-2018 08:58 PM

What did you guys do to fix the exhaust deal just weld pipe over it ?? Or what anything after market.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 06 DIESEL (Post 2651773)
Ram issued a service bulletin in August of 2016 telling all dealers to use Rotella T6 5-40 in the ecodiesel trucks effective imeadeately. This is what I run in mine.

I have 123k on mine now, have changed the trans fluid twice and never changed the filter, but I did crack the drain plug this last time so I will need at least a plug. The filter in the pan is lifetime according to Ram, unless there is a failure.

Trans fluid I use Valvoline ATF from Wal-Mart, it is about $18 a gallon, vs the $15 a quart from the dealer. The Valvoline meets Ram specs, no need to buy the expensive crap at the dealer.

Look at the end of this thread Dodge 1500 EcoDiesel - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together for more knowledge on issues I and other have had with their trucks. When you do the delete, make sure to take the freaking flex pipe off and cap it at the turbo housing. If you don't it will break and cause a leak.

I also outlined a few helpful hints in that thread, read up and learn.

Enjoy the Ecodiesel, they are a great vehicle, so far for me anyway.