Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   2013+ 6.7L 385 (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=301)
-   -   Remote start with block heater plugged in (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198299)

ISBand4BT 11-08-2017 07:46 PM

Remote start with block heater plugged in

Hey guys, new to the remote start world. So far I love it, but I've never been through a winter with one. Can you remote start a truck while the block heater is plugged in? I've heard stories about how bad stuff will happen, but would rather ask before trying it.

Thanks

BRE 11-08-2017 08:55 PM

What in the world could happen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

estrada5.9 11-08-2017 11:00 PM

The worst thing I can think of is driving away with the extension cord attached.

Not that I've ever done that.

1320Cummins 11-08-2017 11:52 PM

Heating element can overheat and fail if overheated or 'shocked' with cold coolant.
If this a concern to you maybe something like this would be helpful.

CorneliusRox 11-09-2017 08:02 AM

I think a lot of people have this notion in their head that the block heater is tied to the electrical system. Then they thing the AC going to the heater will somehow mess with the rest of the electrical system.

OP, the line you plug into the wall is a 100% standalone unit that heats the coolant through a freeze plug hole. It is the exact same technology as an electric water heater and even uses the same element.

There's no damage that could be caused by leaving it plugged in while the engine is running, unless you drive away with it plugged in and rip the cord off!

ISBand4BT 11-09-2017 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorneliusRox (Post 2643549)
I think a lot of people have this notion in their head that the block heater is tied to the electrical system. Then they thing the AC going to the heater will somehow mess with the rest of the electrical system.

OP, the line you plug into the wall is a 100% standalone unit that heats the coolant through a freeze plug hole. It is the exact same technology as an electric water heater and even uses the same element.

There's no damage that could be caused by leaving it plugged in while the engine is running, unless you drive away with it plugged in and rip the cord off!

I believe this is what i heard in the past... it didnt make much sense to me, but it's hard to tell.

I do have another question while i've got everyone's attention... This new truck has a limited slip rear. The dealership i bought it from replaced the bearings. Their work order shows putting 75-90W in, but doesn't show any additive. Truck was fine for about 1400 miles then started making a noise in the rear end. I've read that the new rear ends do and dont require the additive.

Can anyone confirm if you do or dont, and if it does require and it's not put in, will it trash the limited slip?

RD TRCTR 11-09-2017 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorneliusRox (Post 2643549)

Been there, done that, that's why I wrap the cord around the mirror...

06 DIESEL 11-09-2017 01:16 PM

The new truck DO require additive in the rear end. Without it you will hear a noise from the rear, not sure if it will cause damage or not, but it definitely will make noise without the additive.

EnduringAtlas 11-09-2017 02:07 PM

The emergency vehicles around here use auto eject plugs that once the ignition is turned on the plug ejects the cord out so they can hop in and drive off.

Request Rejected

Signature600 11-09-2017 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnduringAtlas (Post 2643601)
The emergency vehicles around here use auto eject plugs that once the ignition is turned on the plug ejects the cord out so they can hop in and drive off.

Request Rejected

Yeah, price one of those....last I saw was like $400 because it was for "emergency" vehicles.

Chris

CorneliusRox 11-09-2017 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnduringAtlas (Post 2643601)

Request Rejected

Quote:

Originally Posted by Signature600 (Post 2643603)
Yeah, price one of those....last I saw was like $400 because it was for "emergency" vehicles.

Chris

Semi trucks have something similar for a much lower price if you're willing to do some digging.

Signature600 11-09-2017 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorneliusRox (Post 2643609)
Semi trucks have something similar for a much lower price if you're willing to do some digging.

An auto eject plug?? I've seen female plugs, but not the auto eject units on semi's...

Chris

PPUMPFUMMINS 11-09-2017 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISBand4BT (Post 2643552)
I believe this is what i heard in the past... it didnt make much sense to me, but it's hard to tell.

I do have another question while i've got everyone's attention... This new truck has a limited slip rear. The dealership i bought it from replaced the bearings. Their work order shows putting 75-90W in, but doesn't show any additive. Truck was fine for about 1400 miles then started making a noise in the rear end. I've read that the new rear ends do and dont require the additive.

Can anyone confirm if you do or dont, and if it does require and it's not put in, will it trash the limited slip?

If it's a limited slip ( will have a L in your gear ratio tag on diff) it needs to have friction modifier in it or the clutches will chatter. Or wear prematurely. One bottle per differential.

BigPapa 11-09-2017 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISBand4BT (Post 2643552)
This new truck....

Is the '01 in your signature the "new" truck?

ISBand4BT 11-10-2017 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigPapa (Post 2643623)
Is the '01 in your signature the "new" truck?

No sir. I haven't gotten around to changing it. I bought a 2015 Ram 3500 SRW Mega Cab Laramie.

Nor'Easter 12-13-2017 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PPUMPFUMMINS (Post 2643622)
If it's a limited slip ( will have a L in your gear ratio tag on diff) it needs to have friction modifier in it or the clutches will chatter. Or wear prematurely. One bottle per differential.

This is not what the manual says. Where do people read this? I've been 10k+ with no additive. LS works fine, no chatter, no noises. Schit ton of tight turns daily in the city, and highway driving.

RyeThomas 12-14-2017 04:57 AM

For what it’s worth I’m a Fireman and we have the auto eject plugs at work. Just like anything else these days they are not 100%reliable. Every now and then the unit takes off out of the bay on a response and the chord reel suspended from the ceiling follows it, LOL.
We have had to add pigtails in between for a safety factor, most times they will pull out before any damage occurs. What I’m getting at is keep it simple, find a way to remind yourself your plugged in.
Lord knows I’ve almost done it a few times leaving my driveway.

4x4dually 12-14-2017 06:49 AM

Plug the SOB in, remote start it in the am from your bed, get dressed, brush your teeth, poop, unplug it when you get outside, then get in it and drive. It ain't gonna hurt a damn thing.....unless the three different trucks I've had since 1999 are flukes are were just built extra tough. :D

Hang your extension cord over your driver's side mirror so you always see it when you get in your truck. You will never forget to unplug again....and it is free.