Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   2013+ 6.7L 385 (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=301)
-   -   2018 Efi live tuning (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198705)

CTDYoungGun 12-18-2017 06:12 PM

2018 Efi live tuning

I read a while back that tuners were having issues cracking into the 2018 trucks. Is this still the case/ was this ever an issue?

BluegrassDiesel 12-18-2017 08:39 PM

The L5P Duramax is quite the cookie to crack apparently. 2018 Dodges are good to go though

paulb 12-19-2017 11:08 AM

As I understand it the CM2350F ECM cannot be flashed through the OBDII port, so EFILive can currently only bench flash the ECM's. The Smarty products can tune them though.

Paul

CTDYoungGun 01-20-2018 06:49 PM

So if I order a V2 in order to write my own tunes for a 2018 I'd be SOL? I'd like to get familiar with tuning these newer trucks, but I'm not going to use a customers vehicle as a test dummy or copy tunes from a tuner and label them as my own. Where does that leave me for options?

Tobin 01-21-2018 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTDYoungGun (Post 2652925)
So if I order a V2 in order to write my own tunes for a 2018 I'd be SOL? I'd like to get familiar with tuning these newer trucks, but I'm not going to use a customers vehicle as a test dummy or copy tunes from a tuner and label them as my own. Where does that leave me for options?

It is a little more involved than that. Doable, but more involved. First the ECM needs to be unlocked, so it needs to be sent out or use a tuner that unlocks it. Now with it unlocked, you can't just download the factory tune like the earlier trucks. You will need to find the factory tune and then modify it to upload into the ECM.

A CM849/CM2100 truck would be much easier to start with if you want to play around. I assume the 2018 is your truck?

CTDYoungGun 01-21-2018 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tobin (Post 2652959)
It is a little more involved than that. Doable, but more involved. First the ECM needs to be unlocked, so it needs to be sent out or use a tuner that unlocks it. Now with it unlocked, you can't just download the factory tune like the earlier trucks. You will need to find the factory tune and then modify it to upload into the ECM.

A CM849/CM2100 truck would be much easier to start with if you want to play around. I assume the 2018 is your truck?

Thanks for that info! Yes, the 18 will be ours once it gets finished being built. Sounds like it would be wiser to buy a tuner for this one so parts can fall off, then get an older truck as a tuning test mule. 06-10 I assume would be easier to tune and still efilive compatible, correct?

Tobin 01-21-2018 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTDYoungGun (Post 2652984)
Thanks for that info! Yes, the 18 will be ours once it gets finished being built. Sounds like it would be wiser to buy a tuner for this one so parts can fall off, then get an older truck as a tuning test mule. 06-10 I assume would be easier to tune and still efilive compatible, correct?

06-07 5.9s and the 07.5-09 6.7s are the easy ones to pull tunes and tune. The other stuff is doable but just little more complicated.

I would look into the MM3 from HPP for the '18. That will unlock the ECM for you.

BTW, finally got the pump and injectors installed and running in my project truck you built. Works well, very nice.