Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   Import Diesel (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Considering trading, Jetta for 335D (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200263)

SPEEDSHIFT 05-24-2018 04:19 PM

Considering trading, Jetta for 335D

So my Jetta has treated me great, has had minimal issues but I would really like something nicer and an auto trans as I sit in traffic for about 30mins a day. I keep hearing about these BMW 335D cars and have found some really nice ones semi local for about $10-$13k.

I am looking for someone with experience with these cars and the operational costs. I want something nicer than the Jetta, but still very affordable to own. If it is going to cost me as much or close to a pickup, ill just buy a newer truck.

So, for the guys that own a 335D was it worth it?

sootie 05-24-2018 04:24 PM

BMW 335d 11.84 at 119mph! - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

BMW 335D, thoughts? - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

BMW 335D M-Sport build - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

SPEEDSHIFT 05-24-2018 04:42 PM

Yea, I have read through all of those. I am looking for some input from owners on how things are going with operating expenses.

SPEEDSHIFT 05-25-2018 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackmega3500 (Post 2669350)
Buy an extended warranty!

Wouldn't buy a used BMW without one! Parts are $$$$!

If you need an extended warranty on anything, I would say that is a pretty good sign its a pile of chit and you shouldn't buy it in the first place.

Snedge 05-25-2018 06:52 AM

They are retarded expensive to repair, let alone mod. They are wicked nice though. If you're wealthy, I say go for it.

SPEEDSHIFT 05-25-2018 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snedge (Post 2669398)
They are retarded expensive to repair, let alone mod. They are wicked nice though. If you're wealthy, I say go for it.

I ran some numbers last night and it wouldn't save me any money over driving my truck. I would rather drive a nice diesel truck than any luxury car, the only reason I considered a car was to save money on fuel.

I think I will just keep saving and investing in my other projects so I can buy a truck like the 20 year old kid down the street has. :kick:

CorneliusRox 05-25-2018 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snedge (Post 2669398)

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackmega3500 (Post 2669350)
Buy an extended warranty!

Wouldn't buy a used BMW without one! Parts are $$$$!

I'm not saying these two are the exact same, but I heard the same thing about Audi's before I got into them. Turns out they're not expensive at all as long as you do your own work. I did have to swap a high pressure fuel pump cam follower every 40k and ti costs $40, and the timing belt I did every 80k (service was supposed to be 115k, but was being safe) and that was $350.

I found sites like genuineaudiparts.com and Europa Tuning that sell OEM and OEM+ stuff for cheap.

All in all, I put 100k on my last one, and only lost ~$500 in parts and $4000 on price (purchase vs selling price). I was very happy with it.

SPEEDSHIFT 05-25-2018 08:31 AM

This is the car I was considering.

https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/d...596488930.html

CorneliusRox 05-25-2018 09:06 AM

I was just in a 2013 Sport Package 135 on Wednesday (buddy just picked one up) and those seats are the most comfy seats I've ever sat in. I wish they were in my truck.

That Nav sucks, but everything else is super nice in those.

joefarmer 05-25-2018 10:37 AM

Wife loves her X5. Parts are steep unless you buy online. I've used Pelican Parts if you want to see how bad parts are priced. We had it a week before the tune went on, so I'm not sure how they drive like without a tune.

Our guesstimate was the BMW diesel would cost an average of $1k in parts per year of ownership. It's been a year and I've put in $600. $200 was 100k mi service maintenance. $400 was a belt, idler, tensioner and swaybar end links.

It's a world of difference between the X5 and the Jetta she was driving. Fit, finish and the electronics not being stupid are the biggest differences.

GOT-Torque 07-27-2018 12:35 PM

Love my 335d. I think one of my threads is shown above. Maintenance cost aren't much different than any other newer car if you do the work yourself. I drive the hell out of it, and have averaged 30.5 mpg over the last 8 tanks of fuel (stock it did about 40 per tank). Insurance cost is higher if you have full coverage.

Chris Tobin 07-27-2018 01:43 PM

I was looking at used 335ds versus a new or low mileage 1st Gen Cruze Diesel when we decided our Jetta TDI needed to go. I chose to go with a low mileage certified pre-owned Cruze with only 4100 miles on the clock, and it has been agreat car. But I'm sure the Bimmer would have been a much more enjoyable car, but would have also been more expensive all the way around including, insurance, maintenance and fuel use...

But honestly, not I am considering upgrading from the Cruze to a Colorado ZR2 with the mini-Duramax!!! I would love one of those and the fuel mileage I got when I tested the Z71 Colorado Duramax was pretty good! It also is more roomy than the Cruze and has the bed too...

mfsuper90 09-16-2018 05:19 AM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cne...inued-us-2019/

Just saw this recently, no more Mercedes or bmw diesels in the US is how it appears.